Sleep or not sleep

Posted , 16 users are following.

Goodmorning I'm Andy

1.20 am

Not sleeping again any help would be much appreciated

I'm 43 years 12 days since THR on my right side

Any tips on sleeping my back aches all the time and I just can't get comfortable

Need some sleep feeling like a zombie 😮

Ive been doing all my exercises and walking as much as possible its been nice to get some fresh air

Just abit of sleep normal getting about 40 50 mins

Any body with any tips

When can I lie on none operated side

I was told 6 weeks for the operated side ??

Thank you Andy

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Every Dr is different I was not allowed to sleep on left or right side for 3 months.  Sleep s hard the first months out of surgery . An hour or two then your up , I kept a book close by or TV to watch . Just try to catch a few hours here and there . I understand the frustration but it does get better .  I had my left hip done September 2016  doing good but still sore when I over do.  Please hang in there keep doing your exercises and walking.  I used ice a lot to sleep helped with pain.  Take care 
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply

I didn't really get sleep for last 2 hrs before op I was just hoping to get a good night's sleep lol

I was told sleep on back for 6 weeks

Online says ok to sleep on none operative side just checking

Hoping lol

Thank you Andy

• Posted

I'm just 5 weeks post op THR right side, anterior. I ended up taking Tylenol pm which helped a little. I'm just now getting more than an hour or two of sleep. I'm not a back sleeper so it's been a struggle. I sleep about 4 hours a night now bu t still wake up once or twice. Hang in there, it will get easier!!

• Posted

Thank you

Days night seem so long with no sleep and with young children 😁

• Posted

morning its 2.30 and im still awake !!!! post op 12 days on my left side !!!! grrrrr seems everyone has same issue i read plenty of books and catnap in the afternoon when i feel my lowest !!! cant wait to be able to sleep on any sides soooo uncomfortable on back

seems most thr ops have same oroblems time is the healer as its a huge invasive op !!!

i was told 6 weeks to be able to lie on un op side so cant wait for that !!!

no sleep cant help there wish i could another miles and boon book here i come and games on my kindle if anybody knows the answer sure would love to know !!!! you not on your own lol

• Posted

Thank you

Just moving around house trying to get comfortable

Kids will be up at 7 😁 probably just be nodding of then lol

• Posted

I was so fed up with not getting much rest. I had TLH replaced and sleep on my back for two weeks and tried to sleep on right side but found difficulty turn to get on that side. I read some one here say they felt better sleeping in their recliner. I bought a Queen Anne leather recliner and I sleep in it sometime now. I have to have my right hip surgery maybe after September. My chair is a prayer answered. It is high enough so I place a pillow under my legs and heels. I kept my wedge in place when I had to keep knees from touching. I hope and pray you will get the rest your mind and body needs by sleeping more.
    • Posted

Thank you

Sounds good for you with the recliner

I will have to try it anything for a sleep

Hope all goes well with your next lot of surgery

Take care thanks Andy

• Posted

Thanks Andy I am confident it will go well.
  • Posted

Hi Andy I feel your pain .....literally!! I am only 10 days post thr and already reached the point where I've had enough of sleeping on my back. My surgeon told me 6 weeks and then operated side first. Once I've recovered and can lie on my front I'm going to get the mother of all back massages. Hope things improve for you.

Marilyn

• Posted

Hi andy

I know how you feel, once I'd finally got off to sleep I'd be woken for the loo again. I assume you are taking your medication on time and right dose? If not this could be the reason.... I wake up with back ache everyday, for me this is either my posture during the day as I keep forgetting to keep to two crutches as I have a leg discrepancy I have a shoe lift, or I need a new mattress lol I've just ordered one. For you this could be worrying about hurting yourself therefore making your self stiff... Do you have a leg discrepancy? All contributed to sleeping issues. Are you eating right? Are you stressed or worried? I'm 4 months post op and still can not lay on my op side however I have started to practise rolling and laying on my non to ease my back a while. I couldnt do this at 12 days tho. If you see no obvious factor it maybe worth checking with your doctor for medication help, you need a good night's sleep to heal. Good luck x

• Posted

Hi Andy, it is the bain of THR. I put a rolled up towel in the curve of my back to ease the back pain. and like most others didn't sleep properly for weeks. if I got two hours it was a miracle. Was told to go to bed every afternoon for two hours to help reduce swelling and did sleep initially for those two hours. I ended up making sure I had drinks, books and snacks available for the middle of the night or watced TV. My hubby was using the spare room as he complained so much the first night I was home about how he could not sleep on the other side of the  bed, that I told him I was the one who had had major surgery and banished him for 6 weeks lol. I was allowed to sleep on my in operated side at 6 weeks after my checkup with a pillow between the knees. All will be worth it in the end. 

• Posted

This makes me smile when I remember just how bad it was not getting any consistent sleep.  Just cat nap whenever you can.

I found using my iPod with soothing music, and swapping to our spare room where the mattress was harder and I wasn't disturbing my wife was beneficial.

Sleeping on your side - it was 18 months or so before I could sleep on my side, it was just too uncomfortable. I used to be a 'side only' sleeper before, now I am actually more comfortable sleeping on my back eek

Six weeks sounds like a lifetime at the time, but honestly it will soon go by.

Best wishes

Graham

• Posted

Those naps throughout the day made a big difference in the beginning.

When I first starting sleeping on my side, I used a small pillow designed for side sleeping. I tried regular pillows but they didn't work well for me. I use it occasionally now, too.

My issue has been the numbness on my THR (5 months ago) side so I don't sleep on that side. Before surgery, that was side I always slept on. I will fall asleep on other side and usually end up sleeping on my back. Interesting with that as I was rarely a back sleeper.

• Posted

After my initial THR, I could only sleep comfortably on my operated side, after my revision 10 weeks after the THR, I could only sleep comfortably on my NON-operated side surprised.

Every operation and every recovery is totally different, even on the same leg.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.