Sleep or not sleep

Posted , 16 users are following.

Goodmorning I'm Andy

1.20 am

Not sleeping again any help would be much appreciated

I'm 43 years 12 days since THR on my right side

Any tips on sleeping my back aches all the time and I just can't get comfortable

Need some sleep feeling like a zombie 😮

Ive been doing all my exercises and walking as much as possible its been nice to get some fresh air

Just abit of sleep normal getting about 40 50 mins

Any body with any tips

When can I lie on none operated side

I was told 6 weeks for the operated side ??

Thank you Andy

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Andy - I am 3 1/2 weeks post op FHR right side - I am not enjoying sleeping on my back but for the first week I proped myself up on pillows as lying flat was seriously no fun - and then put a pillow under my right leg and slept with it bent - much more comfy - have you tried this?? Nightmare with no sleep though I do sympathise with young children myself!!!! Try taking some pain meds before bed and see if this helps make you more comfortable?? Good luck - hope you manage to find a solution soon!! 
    • Posted

Hello

Thank you your reply

I have tried all different position with pillows bed sofa chairs lol

I'm trying at moment no pain killers all day then some at 7 and again at 10 I did manage 3hrs sleep last night 😁😁

• Posted

I had a fairly easy recovery, but the nights were terrible! I used to get to sleep ok, but then wake up a couple of hours later... I used to stroll around on my squeaky crutches, trying to loosen up. Used to have back ache every morning.  Started sleeping on my non operated side after 6 weeks, but it was months before I was on my operated side. It will get better, hang on in there. 
  • Posted

I was the exact same for about 3 weeks and so were the 2 other patients who had their surgery at the same time. We are all sleeping well now (5 weeks post op). I'm afraid it seems to be one of the things we just have to tolerate to benefit in the long run. You WILL sleep better soon. 

• Posted

I wasn't a good sleeper before surgery anyway because of pain in both hips. Now, however, trying to sleep on my back is definitely a challenge. I have found out how to make myself more comfortable,using pillows. I have one, nice, plump pillow at the top of the bed. Below that I have a flatter one. On top of these I put two pillows, lengthways, just overlapping at the top and with space at the bottom - you know how they do them in hospital - and this seems to help. When I get into bed I hoist myself up with my lower back onto the bottom pillow and am kind of snuggled between the two lengthways pillows. If I want to watch TV or read I put another pillow under my head but I take this out when I'm going to sleep.

In hospital I was told I could sleep on my non-operative side whenever I feel comfortable. The woman beside me actually lay on her side the night after surgery and said she felt great. I don't feel ready for that yet but it might be worth a try for you.

Good luck!

• Posted

I found this on Youtube and find it really helpful for pain and sleep.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Hello

Any chance you could send a private message as the moderator as removed the link ???

My email

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

Hi Andy. (Aka zombie). I say this because I used 'exactly' the same phrase only a week ago! I'm a 57yrold female 2wks post-op THR. Came home from hospital day3 and then spent the next week only catching short spells of sleep. This is my 2nd THR, my first was done 10yrs ago so I knew about sleeping on your back! This wasn't a problem as I had trained myself from the first hip op. Now, I had to think of ways to make myself 'comfortable' as like you as I was getting a bit stir-crazy. I used 'trial' and 'error'. Stuffed pillows along both sides of hips, put leg up slightly 'higher' than usual, put small pillow under my back,lge pillow between my legs resting on non op side (this was done VERY carefully but I was desperate & 'I' was told I Cld), etc. if it worked.. Woo hoo, if not I changed again. Every day for me has gotten better as I lie down when I want, I sleep whenever I can and I keep an active healthy attitude to my recovery. One thing I have learnt from other THR patients is that we all heal differently and we are only given 'guidelines' to our recovery dependant on our surgeons! I had literally stopped meds by day6 but with the lack of sleep I used 1 oxy per day for the next 3days and it helped 'me'. I don't take anything now and I sleep for about 4-5hrs and sometimes a few nana naps throughout the day. Hope you find your solution soon.

I wish you a speedy recovery Andy.

• Posted

Hello

Thank you for your

I think I nearly went mad with no sleep

Since then

I've moved onto the sofa I just couldn't get comfortable in bed and having pain killers only at 1030 pm

I generally sleep from about 11 until 4 ish then have a walk around and nod back off until about 6

I feel like a different person

I have been walking alot more and to just get out of the house makes a a big difference

On the mend 😁

Thank you and wishing you good luck and a speedy recovery 😁

• Posted

Hiya Andy

Glad your sofa is an alternative and you are getting out and about.

My heart goes out to patients who have a rough time with recovery as there is no full-proof way for what works.

I will forever be grateful that I was able to have these operations by a fabulous surgeon and in my local public Hospital.

happy healing Andy

Sandi

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.