Sleeping after bilateral hip replacement

Posted , 18 users are following.

I am almost 3 weeks post op and feeling fantastic apart from sleeping!

This sleeping on your back nonsense is so difficult has anyone tried sleeping on their side or am I being very impatient?

Already I have noticed my ankles creeping to cross over and even that is more comfortable but trying to be a good girl and stopping myself doing that! Tried the pillows under the knees and while it does help a bit I still only manage limited sleep and awake several times a night 😩

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Wendi, I think that everyone has had a tough time with sleeping

on their back. I started to sleep on my good side about 2 1/2 weeks

out and on both sides another week or so after that but not for very

long. I'm six weeks post op and still don't sleep thru the night and

waking up every two or three hours. I check the site and go on my

kindle and on the internet or listen to music. I hear it's not uncommon

for us hippies. I've put pillows next to each hip and bend my knees

and let my legs roll out over the pillows just for a different position.

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you Thetroll,

I too spend time at night on the kindle, internet etc,

I will give you pillow either side a try, like you say at least it.a different portion 😊

I sound like I am complaining, i am not, this is the best thing i have done, although I have been called mad for having both done together, I figured, get it all over and done with! and in the main part I feel so much better for it, no pain and looking forward to a new life!

Starting to get irritable leg syndrome in the evenings now and I am wondering if that's because I am tired?

It is nice to know you are not alone though. I have never joined a forum before and excited to get a reply - thank you 😀

• Posted

Restless leg syndrome, yeah I remember having that as well, it's so annoying. What you can do for the restless leg syndrome is rub in a topical pain killer, that will settle down the leg. I don't know where you live but in France I can get diclofenac without a doctors order. It works GREAT! Only one problem, you first rub it in because you are feeling pain (or your leg is restless) and of course you rub it in and want immediate relief, but it doesn't kick in for 25 minutes to 30 minutes. It REALLY reduces the pain and i used to rub it on my feet and ankles as well, as they ached to. It works and it works well enough to allow you to fall asleep. It doesn't last long though, maybe 2 hours, but used at night it will after 3o minutes or so and allow you to fall asleep. All the best to you. Now they make it in a 2% so try and it it in a 2% but the 1% does work just fine.

• Posted

10 weeks out and still sleep on my back and no bending over. Dr. Told me to keep restrictions till I see him in December. I don't sleep much 2 -4 hours at a time .  Take care 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, I was told.no kneeling, bending or squatting for 12 weeks. Which, as I already have more movement than before I went in seems silly, but I will continue to do as I am told 😊

• Posted

Hi wendi!

I am 6 months post op. Can't remember exactly when I started sleeping on my non op side...but in the beginning it was hard...and I would put a long pillow. (Maybe 2 feet long) half way length wise under my back..(the pillow reached from my shoulders all he way down to my booty)...so I wasn't on my side but I wasn't on my back either...I was tilted...1/2 way in between..this really helped me get more comfortable. My doc said I could sleep on my side( either) when I felt comfortable to...

Hope this helps!! Good luck!!

Snowgirl

• Edited

Don't sleep on your side ! At about 4 weeks it became possible to sleep on my side ...hurt before that . Physio said NO ! Not supposed to do that till 6 weeks as you are effectively crossing your legs . Don't risk it only 3 weeks till you can .. Then put a pillow between your legs for comfort . That is what he said is standard surgeon advice in UK anyway .

• Posted

Thank you Hazel,

I had read on here that some people were laying on their good side, earlier. As I don't have a good side, having had them both done together, I was wondering if others had tried sleeping on their bad side, if you are what I mean.

After only awake 3 times last night feeling a little less tired.

Like you said only 3 more weeks! Ultimately the amazing results and no pain are really so worth a few weeks uncomfortable sleep. I was up 4 to 5 times a night before surgery in pain, albeit able to snuggle back on my side. I am truly counting my blessings 😊

• Posted

Yes Wendy I cannot sleep on scar side even tho physio said if you want to sleep on your side it's the bad one you choose . Too sore ! Best not risk a dislocation and in three weeks you can and out a pillow between your legs . I sleep on my side too so the temptation is strong and I am a leg crosser so have to keep reminding myself ! I do not have trouble now sleeping on my back as I take co codamol before bed and it knocks me out ! Naughty but necessary !

• Posted

I think things are very different if the procedure is bilateral, because there isn't a good side, but I am six days out LTHR, been sleeping on my side since night three; and have had the most wonderful full nights sleep, waking up refreshed and raring to take on the day. I did a lot of research on this because I knew it would be worse than difficult for me, with spinal stenosis in the mix as well which means I have intense pain lying on my back, even propped up or in special beds.

?There are ways to do this, and there are medically licensed tools help you do so - upgrades on the "pillow between the legs" advice, if you like.

?If people can manage it, then that's great. But humans heal faster asleep than awake and not all of us can manage it, no matter what physiotherapists or surgeons say. And actually, they don't all agree either. My physio is fine with it, and so is my surgeon. I explained what I would do and they both agreed it would meet the conditions as far as not putting my hip at risk AND getting sleep.

?Wendi, if it is that difficult to sleep, then I'd suggest a conversation with a physio. As I said, bilateral is definitely more complex, and not having a good side it is probably very unwise to even attempt being on your side now, but you might fair better with some at home advice on optimising your sleeping support. If you can afford just one private consult (not sure where you are, but here in the UK that would be private - not sure about elsewhere) with a good physiotherapist, that might really help your sleep. I know from my own experience (wasn't supposed to be on my side for several weeks before the op according to standrad advice too, and it just wasn't working for me!) that just a tiny fraction of support in the wrong place or the right place, or the density of the support, can make a huge difference.

• Posted

Thanks Beth, I seeing physiotherapist at the end of the week so will have a chat with him then. Back to see the consultant next week so maybe another chat

And a few weeks of this for the end result is so worth it!

• Posted

Hi Hazel how you doing now? I hope better. Still pain or its better

Hug Madla💖

• Posted

Hi Beth. My name is Karen. I am going in in June for bilateral hip repalacement surgery and also have spinal stenosis. Any suggestions you can give would be greatly appreciated. 

I was thinking of sleeping in my recliner for a while as I am a side sleeper. 

How did you get out of bed with both hips done

Hope you are doing well

• Edited

Hi Karen.  Those of us who have had, or about to have,simultaneous bilateral hip replacements are a very small minority.  There's lots of advice out there for single hip replacements, but not a lot for the likes of us.  So, I thought I'd let you know how it's going for me.

Both my hips were replaced a week ago. I have had some disc degeneration and related nerve problems.  I've been out of hospital from day four.  Sleeping on my back does not come naturally, and I dream of being able to turn over and sleep on my side, but it's not forever, and you'll get through it.

Obviously, both sides are bruised and tender, so you can't shift your weight to relieve the pressure on either side.  At most I get 2 to 3 hours sleep.  Lots of ice applied to both sides helps tremendously, especially at night, and getting out of bed and moving around on my crutches to relieve the pressure.  Then back to bed for another 2 hours sleep.  Plus, dozing during the day.

Everyday it gets a little easier, but it's still early days for me!

I've not idea about sleeping on a recliner.  I guess this would also help with the inevitable build up of fluid in the legs.

Your physio should give you advice on getting in an out of bed.  The stronger your muscles are before the operation, the better you will be able to deal with this.

Best of luck.

• Posted

Thank you. Right now having a problem finding relief sleeping. Can’t sleep on either side. Hurts too much
    • Posted

I am thinking of calling my dr and moving surgery to beginning of June. The pain is getting worse. 
    • Edited

Hi! I had bilateral one week ago. I sleep on my back with a pillow under lower legs. My legs are hard to move so I move them with a scarf with a knotted loop at the end. I loop the knotted part around my foot and drag my leg onto the bed. Works great!

If I can’t sleep I take Benadryl-works every time. 

We are a small but brave group. Hope we can stay in touch. ☺️

• Edited

Hi Karen. I had both hips done 3 weeks ago. I had mini posterior on both hips with no restrictions on the new joint. The second week was the hardest for me, but once you really begin forward movement it goes fast. 

I am walking with a cane now. I still rest a lot, rest an hour and up for 10 minutes most all the day. I take a walk in the afternoon of about 5 -6 blocks.  The ice was KEY for me I think. I have an ice machine that I use all day long.  Also used geko devices on my calves instead of TED hose. 

In the beginning I hoisted my legs on to the bed with a scarf. I ordered a device on Amazon for 10$ but the scarf works jus fine. I could do them myself at 1 1/2weeks. 

I don’t push myself, as I said. I don’t feel guilty about resting. smile  Recovery is work and rest is part of it. 

Sleeping is still hard. I take a 5mg oxycodone before I go to sleep at night but I wake up 3 or 4 times to use the bathroom. My hips seems to get sore at night more than during the day. 

I am just using the 5 mg oxy every 12 hours with 600 mg Advil in between.  Seems to work just fine for me. 

Everything gets better. The body is made to heal itself. Drink lots of water, eat well, get rest and do the exercises in bed. Walk when you feel up to it. 

Hope this helps!!! Bless you in your recovery ☺️

• Posted

So good to hear from you!  I was thinking about you. 

Glas you are on the mend. Thank you for the tips and encourage. I go in 4 weeks from tomorrow. Had my first appt with the hospital therapist. Talked about the importance of doing exercises prior to surgery. So....i have started doing the exercises in addition the the ones i found online. He also said you have to eat right, rest and do the therapy. 

Glad to hear about being able to slowli cut the pain meds down. Good suggestion

keep plugging!  Sounds like you are well on the mend. Good for you!

keep in touch

• Posted

Yes exercise now is super important. Walking, swimming all good as long as you don’t have a lot of pain now. I was in quite a bit so even walking in the pool got hard just before my surgery. 

What kind of replacement is your surgeon doing? I was very happy with the mini posterior. I actually only wanted that so waited for the right surgeon. 

My husband took me to Trader Joe’s today - my first outing! Very tired tho and took a nap when I got home. Surprise me because I am not a napper. But just listening to my body (and hip!) tell me what it wants.  It’s what my surgeon told me...Seems to work!

Let’s keep in touch! 

• Posted

I am having anterior surgery. Good surgeon. 

I am in pain and do as many exercises as I can without hurting too much. It is getting tougher to walk but I do as much as I can. Up small inclines are rough. 

Good for you you went on a road trip!  Had to be tiring. 

I think the waiting is the toughest 

Definitely will stay in touch!

• Posted

Doing great! Walking about a mile a day plus all the other walking I do. Driving now-yay!!! I’m a writer so I work from home and that’s nice. I went to the mall with my daughter yesterday and am going out to a concert tonight. But I baby myself. I always use my cane (very lightly) when away from the house. And I just go slowly...don’t rush anything.  People are very nice when you have a cane :-).  

How are you doing?

• Posted

Jealous!  Hurting.  LOL!  Go to the hospital tomorrow to get all my preop done. Went to surgeon and they wer so nice.  They hooked me up with a lady that had the exact surgery back in July as I am having.  She was so nice. She called me and we had such a nice conversation. She put alot of my fears to rest. She loved our surgeon and his staff. Good news. 

Just getting tired of walking in pain all the time. I have bben a good girl and doing my pre op exercises even though they hope so I hope it is helpful on the recovery side 

Two weeks from tomorrow!

so glad you are doing so well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.