Sleeping after bilateral hip replacement

Posted , 18 users are following.

I am almost 3 weeks post op and feeling fantastic apart from sleeping!

This sleeping on your back nonsense is so difficult has anyone tried sleeping on their side or am I being very impatient?

Already I have noticed my ankles creeping to cross over and even that is more comfortable but trying to be a good girl and stopping myself doing that! Tried the pillows under the knees and while it does help a bit I still only manage limited sleep and awake several times a night 😩

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Wendi, I feel for you. My hip replacement was v straight forward, my recovery was good, I was v mobile using a crutch. However nights were rubbish. I stayed on my back until I saw the consultant at nearly week 7. I sometimes woke up thinking I'd had a good night's sleep, and it was only midnight! When I was really uncomfortable I used to have a stroll around on my crutches, go to the bathroom, have a drink, look at the stars... Then I could usually get back to sleep for a bit. Good luck, you're nearly at the 6 week point!

• Edited

I still can't sleep on my sides for very long after 1 year - but it does vary.  

Six weeks after my first operation, I was OK on the operated side, but not so good on the other side.  Six weeks after my revision (10 weeks after my initial recovery), I could sleep for a short time on the non-operated side, but not at all on the operated side.  

Now, 1 year later I can stand about 10 minutes on the operated side, and 30 or so on theother side.

We all heal differently, even the same leg heals differently second time around.

• Posted

Oh wow! Poor you! I do feel for you at least you can snuggle up for a while 😊

• Posted

To put it into perspective, I am at least totally free of the pre-op OA pain. It could be so much worse, I see others with other intense groin pains etc after this surgery.
    • Edited

Exactly! At the end of the day, a few weeks discomfort vs the massive benefits are so worth it!

It's just while you are so tired and legs are 'fidgety' you sometimes you forget just how lucky you are!

😀

• Posted

Hi Wendy

I started sleeping on my good side within a couple of days of the op with two pillows between my legs and one at my back to stop rolling over. This was fine for a little while but not all night. Nearly 5 weeks on and I now use one pillow and sleep most if the night on my side. Not tried the scar side as I didn't sleep that way before. Like most people on here I never sleep right through but getting better. Years of not sleeping due to hip pain has taken its toll so will be a hard one to beat.

My exercises now include small squats and mini lunges to stretch my abductors and glutes which seem to be getting stronger. I can get about with no sticks in house but require one outside. Every day is a new challenge 😊

• Posted

Thanks Susan, it's seems like I just have to be patient as having them both together I don't have a good side.

Like you said years of waking in pain is going to affect your 'body clock' so I guess patience is the thing I have to learn!!

• Posted

hi wendi, 

thinking back I remember that, eventhough I was allowed to sleep on unoperated side within a couple of days post-op,I also had interrupted sleep - 

I had to go to the bathroom at least 5 times during the night - restless legs (all part of the healing) - took a lot of naps -

I did not make a big deal about it ...

sounds like you are on your way though ... I was happy to get 3-4 hours uninterrupted sleep around week 4 ---....-

how are you doing otherwise ?

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thank you Renee,

Other than the sleeping I am doing fantastic! Feel so much better than before surgery and the added bonus of it gets better and better!

😀

• Posted

Hi Wendi

​I remember having to sleep on my back and my body wanting so desperately to roll over onto the side.  And the excitement and relief when it could!  So much we take for granted.  It must have been about 3 weeks after surgery, you are almost there!  Hang in there!

• Posted

Thank you Anne,

Another week down the line and I am doing much better with back sleeping (she says replying to you at 2.30 a.m.! Haha)

As with everything on this journey each day sees improvements. Still want to roll over and long for the day, but most nights it's just once I am up.

Happy days!

• Posted

Hi wendi i am just 6 weeks post op. I fell and feactured my femur so i had hal a hip replacement. I found lying in my back hirrendous, nit sleeping at night, restless legs, 5 tiilet breaks. I have dine a few silly things like crosding my angles raising my two legs nearlt up to my byttocks to try to sleep. I am ysing one crutch niw and can fet up and down stairs. Git a bit depressed there a ciuple if weeks ago becauae i thought i was never going to fet better. On Thursday i drove to the supermarket and did i suffer my two kneez hurt like hell all night in bed so obviously i was nit ready to drive. I took my doggue fir a walk yesterday and although stiff when starting out i felt so much better as the day went on. I think i was rushing myself waiting for the magic 6 weeks to be over but we all different at healing. I have to see my consultant on Monday for my 6 weekly check so i am hoping all ok.

I still cannit lift my.operated leg when i lie on the bed but i suppose this will take time.

I am now feelung a but more optimistic that i will get back to mtself.

Hope everyone improves

Liz

• Posted

Sorry gor the spelling i was txting too fast. Never read it back before i posted lol!

Liz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.