Sleeping after hip replacement

Posted , 114 users are following.

I'm 44 years old and had a hip replacement 10 days ago, I'm having real difficulty sleeping on my back . My recovery has been good , my wound is healing well ,I'm walking on 1 crutch now and doing exercises regularly. I'm just so tired from not sleeping at night and find that in napping in the day . Any ideas on sleeping .

15 likes, 174 replies

174 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Really sleepy last night and went to bed early-ish. Still in bed this morning, but not sleeping - just resting.

Had to laugh when I read about your supermarket trips Judi: you'll have to control that spending haha!

I'll let you know later how I feel, but the weather is supposed to be good here this a'noon so I'll probably attempt another walk.

• Posted

Today Tesco! Thought I had really overdone things as I was walking (slowly) for about 40 minutes, and tried to use a trolley. Had to go back to the crutch. My knee is sore, but I appear to have got away with it!. My discomfort is from soft tissue, but to think 2 weeks ago I was taking 8 strong cocodamol a day, and now the most I take is 2. Yesterday I didn't have any.
  • Posted

Jud that's really good with the analgesia, keep it up but take care x
  • Posted

Judi and marg, you guys are doing so well. Just take care. I still take 2 painkillers at night judi. Not sure if I need them or if it's a comfort thing, but if it is I forgive myself haha. Joining gym today as got to back to work soon, and will be on my feet for 12 hour shift. What this time off has shown me is that I'll happily retire when the time comes! Carry on the good work.
  • Posted

Had a hip replacement and my leg extended 10 days ago with interrupted sleep every night, waking up every 1 or 2 hours. Last night I tried the pillows under the knees after reading it on here and slept for 4 hours straight! Feeling much better today - so thanks for this.

I have a ceramic and titanium total hip replacement, my second operation as I have had problems with my hip since a baby and was operated on at 6 years old. So far it's feeling much better as my arthritus was very bad. I'm walking with crutches and progress is slow but steady I think. Getting used to a longer leg is very odd, but have been told it will get better. So wonderful to find this forum and read about what everyone else is going through. I know I'm not alone!

• Posted

Well yesterday I went to local bird sanctuary (in car) & walked about 20 mins with 1 crutch. Knew I couldn't have gone any longer! Met friends & neighbours there (gorgeous day) & it was good to speak with them.

Re pain relief, still take 2 Paracetamol x 4 times daily, but during last night had to have codeine as well as hip was bothering me & couldn't go back to sleep. Feel good this morning though, but as rain is pelting down I'll probably just walk around house and do exercises with chair.

Delina, good luck with the gym. I retired 9 yrs ago, but most of my exercise is normally via carrying out household duties and shopping!!

Judi, well done with Tesco. Hope you're feeling ok today

• Posted

Hi Liz, only saw your post after I had posted my latest missive.

Yes, pillows under knees are marvellous and certainly help with sleeping on your back!

This is a wonderful forum, and good to know you're not alone!

Good luck with your progress, just take things easy & you'll get there.

• Posted

Hi Marg. Thanks for the reply. Sounds as if you are doing really well on one crutch and walking for 20 mins! I am not quite there yet! I find I have good days where I am making progress and then plateau days where I feel a bit down, tired and achy. Part of the healing process I presume.

I am doing my exercises religiously and have started walking more. Today I'm aiming to get the the end of my street and back. All with two crutches though!

• Posted

Good for you Liz. Let us know how you get on.
  • Posted

Hi, ive been following the forum. I am now 7 weeks after operation. I thought it was a case of great I can sleep on my side, but find my hip is a bit sore so ive been practising it for maybe 20 minutes. This week I have ditched the one crutch and now walking with a cane as they call it and walking a good 40 minutes. I am very tall and find I am having more probs with my back and posture. I am not ready to walk without an aid. I still have some swelling at the side of my hip. It is very true that everyone heals at different times. I am so hoping it wont be long until I can walk freely without limping. I have found that I actually like lying on my back...never would I have thought that!!! my swelling of ankle and calf comes and goes but Im told that can go on for a while. The only thing is I seem to have got this thing that I should be walking freely at 7 weeks and have made myself depressed and feel that Im not doing well. Someone actually said they had heard of 80 year olds walking without aids at 4 weeks. My physio just laughed and said Anne, don't believe those stories - she had never known this and most 80 year olds don't walk too much anyway, its these kind of things that make people think oh god Im 58 and still using a stick!!!! Do not do too much, I think that's what I did then it sets you back. Its good to talk on forums. I found a really good website where the preson wrote a list of what to expect. It was great. And it says round about 10 weeks walking unaided.....I thought that's more like it. Someone on a forum actually said the physio told them to walk unaided even although she is in agony.

• Posted

Hi Anne. I have just come across your post and have to tell you that my dad, at 85, had his first hip replacement and was back driving his car at 5 weeks post op. His second replacement was a year later and he did exactly the same thing. He's always been very positive about everything and o he did what he wanted to do. I only hope, when I 've had my hip done in May, that I shall be as able as he was! The physios aren't always right! 
  • Posted

Hi anne I'm 10 weeks post op and still use pillow when lying on my new hip side. I lie pillow long ways and rest my leg on it with the top of pillow at the point of my hip. Takes pressure off leg and hip and I find a big difference.

Did okay at gym. Its Curves, women only, with defined circuit. Only do 30 min. 30 seconds on each piece of equipment 3 times a week so can't overdo it. Also supervised. Feel good.

I still limp a bit at times. Does anyone have a bit of groin discomfort? Not actually pain just annoying.

• Posted

Hi anne I'm 10 weeks post op and still use pillow when lying on my new hip side. I lie pillow long ways and rest my leg on it with the top of pillow at the point of my hip. Takes pressure off leg and hip and I find a big difference.

Did okay at gym. Its Curves, women only, with defined circuit. Only do 30 min. 30 seconds on each piece of equipment 3 times a week so can't overdo it. Also supervised. Feel good.

I still limp a bit at times. Does anyone have a bit of groin discomfort? Not actually pain just annoying.

• Posted

Ps anne I think your physio is right. I nurse elderly people often with hip surgery and it takes a lot of rehab, also however fit not generally as active.
  • Posted

Delina, when did you stop using an aid then? Im so frustrated that I still need the stick.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.