Sleeping and bits

Posted , 7 users are following.

I went to the doctors trhis morning for a blood test result of another problem I have.  The blood test came back nearly 'normal' only 8 pointss over 51,   but a lot better than first diagnosed with fatty liver at 537 in April 2013.  The liver numbers were coming down Oct 14- 160, April 15 after the op a rise to  260..Had a scan, that proved goo showing nothing.. The reason for blood tests has proved that the meds I took, including anti inflamatory, caused the upset.  BUT while I was there I talked about not sleeping and that this was not just me but seemed to be everyone who had this op, the doctor was quite suprised to hear that...anyway result is I have 14  tablets to take one very night, don't leave a night out, this should get me back hopefully  into a sleeping mode. So we shall see.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Oh, just had to report, first night last night without the sleeping tab....I debated with myself before going to bed if I should take a paracetamol as a placebo, oh I wish I had, the dreams and nightmares were just horrible.   I woke at 1.30, 3 and 6 and felt awful, the bed looked as if an earthquake had hit it  . I drank a full tumbler of water overnight, sipped in my waking moments and feel at the moment as if I had been drunk. I feel worse today than all the while I wasn't sleeping in my TKR po nights.   Recovery today is to chill out, or maybe go out for a short walk to clear my head.   I admit my sleep has been better and deeper with the tabs and they seemed to give me energy as I woke each morning...  I didn't think 14 tabs would have such an affect on me...so never again.  21po last Thursday.
    • Posted

Maybe you should try just taking a quarter of a tablet for a few nights . . do sleeping tablets have the same withdrawl effects as tramadol??  Maybe that's why you felt so bad. . .I now take a miniscule amount of a sleeping tablet. . about an eighth . . and seem to be ok . .will stop altogether soon . . .
    • Posted

Hi Hazel.

I have previously taken sleeping tablets a long time ago and I found I used to take a half of one just once a week or once a fortnight to 'catch up' with my sleep.

since TKR, I slept better the first week or two when I had to lie on my back!  Sleep is worse than before and I have been taking half of one a couple of times a week and I don't feel drugged the next day. A quarter doesn't do much at all and painkillers before bed don't help either.  

im still trying to find out what the best sleep position is - pillow between knees on either side is only comfy for a short time before it hurts.

• Posted

I chatted with my hubby and he said I should have halved then quartered the tabs at the start of the second week.... I really think I should have done that but too late...taken them all and maybe try a half paracetamol tonight...  Do you know my hubby is allergic to paracetamols, they shoot his temperature through the roof, found out when they gave him some when in hospital had four electric fans getting his temperature down.
    • Posted

I still sleep with a pillow between legs but manage to sleep best on either side not on my back.
    • Posted

that's unusual!  I'm allergic to ciprofloxacino . .gives me problems with the achilles tendon!  difficult to see any connection isn't it!  Hope the half a paracetamol helps . . does sound a bit like withdrawl symptoms.  I've taken two tramadol today for sudden back pain, and I feel a little drunk at the moment!!!cheesygrin
  • Posted

Oh heck, another night with nightmares...never ever taking or asking for sleeping tabs again.  Worse night since the first one in hospital after the op.  Saw every hour! Heard every tick...going to buy a silent clock for the bedroom.

My grumble over!  thanks for reading.

• Posted

Oh dear! 

Another thing that sometimes works for me - not always - is listening to a relaxation/hypnotherapy track as I go to sleep.

theres a free one to download from Glen 

Harrold. If it works, I'm asleep before he's finished.

maybe worth trying something like this?

• Posted

The nightmares are so real aren't they!  When I stopped taking tramadol, they were truly terrifying.  I think it's the 'cold turkey' approach which makes it so bad. Your doctor really should have explained that to you, although I must say 15 days is not long . . obviously long enough though!  Hope this soon improves for you!
  • Posted

Had a better night last night, still woke up four times but managed to get back to sleep.  I did take a paracetamol before going to bed as a placebo  hoping it would work OK.  Feel better this morning so maybe the withdrawl from taking those sleeping tabs is getting out of my system.  Oh I do hope so.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.