Sleeping on my back

Posted , 16 users are following.

hi I am new on here and have been following Total hip replacement threads.

I am 8 days post op THR I need to sleep on my back, not been advised I can sleep on my un operated side.

I am struggling to sleep more than 3 hours as I wake up in so much pain from my back.

I see ppl use pillows under their knees but my instructions say no pillows under knees.

help.

all things going good till my leg almost doubled in size yesterday, slowed me down some.

just sleeping on my back is agony .

what is the perfect way to sleep pain free from back ache please

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jaki

its difficult sleeping on your back when you aren't used to it. I don't think there is a perfect way to get sleep . I bought a foam wedge and then i have pillows on top ( makes kind of nest! ). It does mean I start off quite upright but slip down as the night goes on. If you google there are loads available.

They do say not to put pillows under the knees but it works for a lot of people .

on the swelling, you need to make sure you elevate your leg regularly and ice it regularly too. My daughter in law is a physio and says you can ice for 10/20 minutes every hour if necessary. I think the recommendations are 4 times a day.

• Posted

Thank you. my pillows are also like a tower. me too just slides down. try with pillows and I try without.

• Posted

Hi , the wedge stops the pillows from sliding down and continues to give support to my back even when i slide down a bit as it is foam and quite firm . i would really recommend it it worked for hip#1 and is now working for #2 . I didnt buy an expensive one. i put 2 pillows in an upside down V and then can use others to

make it comfortable.

• Posted

my wedge finally arrived. yes it is a little better. I use the wedge with a pillow just sits on the small of my back and that seems quite comfy will get 3 to 4 hours b4 I wake up uncomfortable. then go and do 20 laps of my landing then try for some more sleep.

• Posted

Got a wedge from Amazon, with a big pillow I put down to support the small of my back I am finally getting some relief, thanks. dont sleep more than 3 hours.

Ti be honest, not sure about anyone else, but I wake for a wee every couple of hours....not drinking anymore that usuall, same during the day non stop wee visits. Anyone else having the same thing?

• Posted

hi. glad the wedge is helping you sleep bit better. as for the extra need to wee I certainly did. I think its a) all the iv fluids they gave me intra OP and post OP plus the swelling of the leg (s) when your body is getting rid of the excess fluids. you always wee more lying flat it allows your kidneys to function better so that's probably why your waking every few hrs. I did the same thing lol.

best wishes anyway

• Posted

yes I had that problem when i first came home but it gets better

• Posted

I drink a lot of water. I found it easier to pee into a urnal bottle every time rather than getting up to move to toilet. Plus I didn't have to wake my wife every time. Imagine a old guy fumbling a pee bottle and not putting my glasses on first. No accidents I must add, luckily!

• Posted

Thank you. That's good to know. it's like being pregnant again lol.

• Posted

lol. omg glad I'm not your wife you men r lucky like that. I just think all the movements are good for me.

• Posted

I am glad it is helping. i have three pillows, i think I mentioned . i found the same weeing too. Every three hours or so. but that seems to have eased off. I am lucky, on week 3+ and I am getting 6/7 hours according to my watch

• Posted

omg looking forward to week 3...hope I'm the same just 6 days to wk 3 lol.

• Posted

It seems such a lottery One day it is great and we overdo things, the next its up like a balloon! This second one is certainly going better than my first so it sounds as if you are doing really well. Decent sleep makes so much difference. Unfortunately the week I came out my husband got proper flu and then I caught it and ended up with a chest infection. I am just glad this hip is going well as I was a bit more able to look after myself. It must be so hard for people who are on their own.

Roll on week 3! Are you managing to get a decent walk most days?

• Posted

slept a little better last night did not wake up in as much back pain thankfully.

swelling not as bad now either I felt like my leg was going to explode.

got out for the 1st time yesterday with hubby.

dont go outside much..a confidence thing the pavements slope so bad . I have my in house laps that I do . I spend about 15 to 20 mins x 4 a day, plus the exercises. hopeing I am doing enough. my legs ache at night, not sure if it's the exercise or all the sitting down. not that I sit for long before I get restless and need a walk about.

• Posted

how far are you along with your second? that must have been hell catching flu. I think I would have curled up and died lol.

• Posted

Hi Jaki

I am a little ahead of you had my op on 18th November.

I am glad you are sleeping little better.

and the swelling is improving. Are you drinking plenty and icing regularly, they really help with the swelling .

I try to get out for a walk twice a day for about 20/30 minutes, I would go stir crazy if I didnt!

• Posted

had a really good night last night.

seem to be getting around on 1 Caine now how about you?

The thing I worry about leaving the house, is how do you know how far to go...as you have to get back again lol. ?

just get worried if I where to get so tired I struggle to get back.

tonight we are braving asda late.

that will be interesting, little apprehensive again , not been shopping for weeks I will be like a pig in clover.....but don't want to hurt myself..what advice have you got?

re drinking plenty ..I am non stop weeing every two hours lol. dont want to drink anymore. I do my feet exercises all the time in hope that will help with the swelling.

• Posted

Hi

Quite honestly i dont think you can "hurt yourself" walking my surgeon says "hips like walking" Thats not to say you might not overdo things and feel the effects the next day. I have a circuit outside that i have been doing since i got out of hospital, I do it quicker now so have to do it a few more times!

i would say keep using 2 sticks outside for the moment. Apart from the stability it gives you a bit more confidence - also people keep out of your way in the shops!

• Posted

yes 1 stick in the house would not go out without 2. that's a good idea for ppl to keep out your way lol. fingers crossed for tonight

• Posted

A trip to Asda on a Friday night - who would have thought that would be a highlight!

it will be good for you to get out I am sure

• Posted

lol. its terrible isn't it a trip to asda as a highlight.

Ended up going to Sainsbury's.

it went so well. thought I would only get half the shop done, full hour and waited in the queue, was not a bit queue thou. better that pre op. my back would hurt so much I could not wait in queues. so a very happy bunny last night. my incision felt tender by the end, this morning just a tad stiff but all good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.