Sleeping on my back

Posted , 16 users are following.

hi I am new on here and have been following Total hip replacement threads.

I am 8 days post op THR I need to sleep on my back, not been advised I can sleep on my un operated side.

I am struggling to sleep more than 3 hours as I wake up in so much pain from my back.

I see ppl use pillows under their knees but my instructions say no pillows under knees.

help.

all things going good till my leg almost doubled in size yesterday, slowed me down some.

just sleeping on my back is agony .

what is the perfect way to sleep pain free from back ache please

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

First time when I slept well after my THR was when I was allowed to sleep on my stomach and this was in the 5th day.

I was told that if it was comfortable, it was just fine to sleep in any position. I could sleep on the side after 6 weeks, first on my right hip that had a frontal approach and after few weeks on my left hip - posterior approach, using a pillow for knees.

I don't know why your doctor told you not to sleep on your good side , the sleep is very important for your recovery and it doesn't have to be a nightmare to sleep on your back!

Best wishes !

• Posted

Recommendations seem to vary quite widely but when I had my THR just over 2 years ago I was told that it was OK to sleep on the non-operated side with a pillow between your knees. I was also told that once the scar had healed sufficiently, it was OK to then sleep on the operated side but again with a pillow between the knees.

Get yourself a decent firmish pillow and have a go side sleeping with it between your knees. You might find it a bit awkward at first but it beats trying to sleep on your back if your not used to it.

• Posted

hi. the advice seems to vary so much as to how long you have to sleep on your back. mine was for 10 weeks then when sude sleeping to use a pillow between your knees - stops your OP leg especially over extending over your good leg.

I found the best thing for sleeping on my back is to have plenty of pillows. I got one of those V shaped pillows and then stacked abt 4 more around it so I was almost upright ( chest wise) gradually over time i reduced the level till i was comfy sleeping with just 2. like you i was advised NOT to put a pillow behind my knee/ leg as it sd it can cause muscle tightening. try to keep your toes facing upwards as well in the early days as your position of your toes indicates the position of your hip and stops it dislocating which is a risk within first 10 or so weeks - but that varies as to posterior v anterior approach to surgery. the main advice i was given was to make sure i took my pain killers - to keep on top of the pain so times like night time weren't a nightmare.

agree with others re elevation of leg to reduce swelling - it's the best thing to do.

anyway best wishes

• Posted

I do understand I experienced the same thing. There is no definite way but you do have to sleep on your back with a pillow between your legs or sleep on your nonsurgical side with a pillow between your legs. Yes the back pain is terrible. I just last night had a good night sleep I am 5 weeks postop so I would sleep sitting up on my couch with my legs propped. But its going to get better. So continue to take your pain medicine so you can have a little relief.

• Posted

Hi Jaki I was also told NOT to put pillow under knee re also the possibility of DVT in the early days. A friend actually had this problem, which made the decision easy for me !! I too had huge problems sleeping, but decided to sleep sitting up with a few pillows which really helped. I used to waken up in the night as I would start to slip down, but it was MUCH better than lying on my back. I also from day 3 used a relaxation/hypnosis app for sleeping problems. That was really very helpful, and made a huge difference. Agree with toe positioning, very important. Hope this may help you. Good wishes for a speedy recovery. 😃

• Posted

I was 1 month on my back. Make sure you have your compression socks on for clots.

• Posted

I had no hip restrictions (now 4 weeks post op), but have also struggled sleeping on my back and on the non operated side.

Physio suggested one pillow down my back/under the operated side and another between my legs, meant I wasn't totally on my back.

It is getting better, but I'm looking forward to getting a full night's sleep!

• Posted

sounds like an idea. thank you

hows your swelling going? my foot is now up as well as my leg. does it get to a maximum size then go down? hate the swelling.

• Posted

I'm fortunate and haven't had too bad swelling, just around the hip and it's now reducing.

Keep icing and hopefully it will reduce soon

• Posted

Some people use those big pillow things that people use when they are pregnant.

• Posted

I thought I would never sleep on my back especially with some discomfort going on, but Tramadol and a little Ambien fixed it.

Normally I have trouble sleeping in any position. Try to get appropriate medication from your people.

It feels great when you can finally back to sleeping your usual way

• Posted

omg I am counting the weeks. cant wait to be back on my side. I take my pain killers just b4 bed so to try and get max pain free sleep.

• Posted

wow thank you for all your replies guys . some good ideas. nice to know I'm not alone

• Posted

Hi, I'm 3 weeks post op and healing really well. one of my biggest struggles is sleeping on my back all the time. I wake up through the night and also in the morning with awful back ache.

I've found your posts and responses really useful so far. Still a bit unsure when the best time is to try sleeping on my side. My staples are out and I'm following all their guidelines on not twisting, crossing legs, etc, but just getting frustrated by poor sleep quality.

Have you started sleeping on either of your sides yet?

thanks, Martyn

• Posted

Hi Martyn

no I am still on my back its 6 weeks tomorrow. I am waiting to my surgeon, I should be due back this week but no apt yet. I am hoping he says at my 6 week point I can now sleep on my unopoperated side. I believe I will need a pillow between my knees.

but still hating sleeping on my back with still no more than 3 hrs at a time b4 I wake.

• Posted

Hi

are you sleeping flat on your back? if so i would really recommend propping yourself up a bit -I used a foam wedge and pillows that sort of hold me slightly upright but it feels like i am held in as i have a pillow down each side . Otherwise, it wont be long, it is likely that your surgeon will tell you that you can sleep on your unoperated side with a pillow between your legs at six weeks. Some do it much earlier but i was too scared to risk it until i was given the go ahead.

• Posted

Hi Martyn

I was the same, slept really badly, woke up with back ache every morning. I just stuck with it, and started to sleep on my side after 6 weeks. (And then often ended up on my back!)

At 3 weeks you're half way there. Good luck .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.