Sleeping on my back

Posted , 16 users are following.

hi I am new on here and have been following Total hip replacement threads.

I am 8 days post op THR I need to sleep on my back, not been advised I can sleep on my un operated side.

I am struggling to sleep more than 3 hours as I wake up in so much pain from my back.

I see ppl use pillows under their knees but my instructions say no pillows under knees.

help.

all things going good till my leg almost doubled in size yesterday, slowed me down some.

just sleeping on my back is agony .

what is the perfect way to sleep pain free from back ache please

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all, so I was brave last night and decided to sleep on my operated side with a thick pillow inbetween my legs. I slept really well and woke with no back ache!

I'm nearly 4wks post op now and I am younger than some on this forum. I also think my pre op fitness has helped my recovery time better than others.

So, it worked for me, everyone is different though I guess and the scar and operated side is still sore, but it looks like my body ignored that little bit of discomfort and welcomed the different sleeping position. Try it if you think you can 😃

• Posted

I'm 6 wks post op now. only see my surgeon nx week..but I so want to sleep on my side. I am sure I will be ok . but I feel I need to wait for him to say go ahead. cant wait to sleep properly again. you are lucky. I need to grow a pair I think and just do it lol

• Posted

same for me. in the end my dr prescribed zopiclone for a month.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.