Sleeping on my side

Posted , 11 users are following.

I had a total hip replacement 4 weeks ago and am doing well.  Able to walk without crutches and of all my meds.  However sleep is my problem does anyone know when is a good time to sleep back on your side.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sandra, well done you this is the big question everyone is told different info from what I've seen on this site.  I have been told until I see my consultant will be 7 weeks, it also depends on what approach your operaton took.  I only wish I could move onto my side or tummy before 7 weeks.  I think mine is a lateral but the top bit (1") does go slightly into my buttock.
    • Posted

Thanks for getting back to me Suzie appreciate your thoughts andinput - think you are right I need to wait until I see my consultant in 3 weeks time. take care
  • Posted

Hi Sandra

It depends on the restrictions imposed by the surgeon which is partly based on wether he / she went in through the back, front or side - some say six weeks, some say twelve - some say anything in between or earlier ! - mine said 6 weeks and I had posterior approach - sorry - not very helpful I know ! X

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

I was one of the naughty ones.  I was told I could sleep on my operated side after 6 weeks, but after about 3 weeks I shoved a pillow between my legs and turned on my good side.  I'm asthmatic and back sleeping was making me really wheezy, it was also making my back hurt quite badly as I have arthritis in my spine too.  I'm not recommending it, just saying I did it and didn't have any problems.  I found that once I had settled into position on my side I didn't move at all in my sleep.  I think if you try to move the pain wakes you up.  I'm nearly 9 weeks post op and still can't sleep on my operated side because I have a painful haematoma so I glad I took the plunge.

From one end of the UK to the other and in different countries every hospital/surgeon has different rules.

Cels x

• Posted

In the scheme of things it's not such a long time - a few weeks, although on saying that I can't wait - and hopefully my surgeon won't be as cautious as he's been for the first 6 weeks.eek
  • Posted

Hi Sandra

Yes this is a very common problem and people get all sorts of difference advice.  I am glad actually that I didn't know about the sleep issue before the op as it would have really bothered me as I have a real problem sleeping in any case. However I was shown in hospital how to sleep on my side safely with a pillow between my legs and did that from about day 5 alternating on my back.  After getting out of hospital I was fine sleeping like that on my non-op side.  I got a posterior approach but i see that most people are advised against side sleeping.  However it worked for me. I am now nearly 13 weeks out and sleep any way I want. I think my recovery would have been much slower if I wasn't able to sleep.  I know others have tried various semi seated positions so whatever works for you.  I did get the weird sore heels if I slept on my back but you can put a thin pillow under your calf which should elevate your heels enough to stop the friction.  I hope that helps.

Good luck this won't last long and remember you don't really have to get up for anything so don't worry too much about sleep.

BW Alison 

• Posted

Thanks for your kind words Alison - just really would love a good nights sleep but hey ho it wont last for ever biggrin
  • Posted

If it makes you feel any better, you're not alone.  I think lack / difficulty of sleep is something all of us suffer from after THR.  (For more info, just search and you'll see the subject comes up all the time).

As others have said, it depens on your restrictions (so check with your surgeon) and your comfort / tolerance to pain.  

I had a THR with anterior approach 3 1/2 weeks ago and was told that I could sleep on my side as long as I kept a pillow between my legs so that my legs don't cross.  I slept on my non-operated side right from night 1 and on operated side since night 4.

I had a hip resurfacing with posterior approach about 8 months ago and for that one, I need about 1 week before I could sleep on non-operated side and quite a bit longer before I could sleep on operated side (might have been 6-8 weeks butI don't remember).

Before I was able to sleep on my side, I actually slept best in a recliner versus a flat bed.

Good luck,

Mike

• Posted

Nothing much to add - lots of variation between surgeons, some due to training, others due to surgical approach used or conditions of the patient.

And lots of variation between patients re tolerance in sleeping position and degree to which sleep is disturbed for other reasons.

For those of us struggling with this though - we seem to be of one mind: this is one of the most challenging features of our THR journey.

I totally understand and sympathize. But hang in there, it does get easier and as Graham has said on more than one occasion, it is possible to get used to sleeping on one's back. As I say though - it just isn't likely!😨😩😨 and for those of us w asthma, it is even less likely. 😨😱😵

Hugs,

P.S. One suggestion that helped me - I totally embraced a suggestion to use music to relax me at night (any music player of choice) and more recently (10 weeks), melatonin has helped me regularise my sleep. It might be worth asking your doctor about this if your sleep remains disrupted.

Linda

• Posted

I find "white noise" very helpful. I keep a fan/heater on depending on the weather, but you can also download storms and so on from YouTube. 
    • Posted

If you like the "white noise" generators, there are tons of apps for iOS and Android that do this as well (including free ones).
    • Posted

I also do white noise, but I hate my phone because of bad eyesight. I use it on the TV...
    • Posted

I'm loving the idea of going to sleep with the noise of a storm ! Presume to the sound of one rumbling away in the distance rather than directly overhead lol !
    • Posted

I have a free app with storm sounds, waves on a beach etc.  Very relaxing. Xxx
    • Posted

I think I kmight have a problem - as a certified hypnotherapist (ahum) I used a lot different of "noises" to get people in a relaxed state of mind -

jackhammering outside the office, heavy trafiic, and of course tapes of ocean waves, rain, storm, birds chirping ...

well, ..... now I live in the middle of the woods where birds are singing all day - from sunrise to sunset and it rains a lot too - sometimes with hail and fierce wind - 

I have and had no problems with not being able to sleep - maybe I am too relaxed ... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.