Sleeping on my side

Posted , 11 users are following.

I had a total hip replacement 4 weeks ago and am doing well.  Able to walk without crutches and of all my meds.  However sleep is my problem does anyone know when is a good time to sleep back on your side.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

As others have said this seems to vary a lot so you'll have to ask your surgeon (or one of his team). My husband was allowed to sleep on his side straight away (either side but with a pillow between his legs) but he couldn't at first, it was just too painful. After 3 or 4 weeks he started getting onto the unoperated side, at first only for short periods (always with a pillow). Now at 6 weeks he mainly sleeps in the unoperated side (w pillow) but has got onto the operated side a few times for short periods. It's still a bit tender laying on the scar.

glad you are doing well and hope you can get the info you need

• Posted

Hi Sandra!!

I also had a thr a little over 4 weeks ago...I've been sleeping on my non - operated well... Since day one! Lol..and started sleeping on the operated side like at 3 weeks?...I mean I do get a little uncomfortable and switch sides...but I've always been like that!

• Posted

I slept on my side from the first day. Nobody told me not to do it and no one advised me about using a pillow between my legs. I only did that after about a week when the post-op bruising started. I sleep on the opposite side to my op leg, which is a bit unforunate since I was accustomed to sleeping on the other side. But even now, five months on, I will still back-sleep sometimes just for a bit of relief. I usually keep the op-leg knee bent when sleeping on my back. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.