sleepless nights

Posted , 5 users are following.

probably this question has an obvious answer , i am having sleepless nights because of the dull aching pain in my shoulder , laying on it is too painful , i just wondered how others on here are managing there sleep patterns ? i dont really want to take any more pills to help me sleep either .

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I found that a v- shaped pillow helped. Strategic placing, so that your shoulder isn't under pressure. I also had 2 operations and drugs. It had to be done and now I'm on the other side#road to recovery.

good luck. No sleep is awful.

• Posted

i just cant seem to find a comfortable position , i will look at trying another pillow
    • Posted

I have just commented to my husband, that my arm had hardly ached all day, I am careful with it, but just the same it's barely ached......now it's 8pm here and it's aching like a bitch......WHY??? 😩
    • Posted

Hi Kerri, I used to find this too, from around 6pm on wards in the evening and around the time you mention there were nearly always daily tears in frustration and pain, I got sick of hearing myself! I'm not really sure what the reason would be for timings but there must be a medical reason for the increase in pain at that time of day. Until you mentioned it I had always thought it was that I'd been moving, albeit badly and a little more active during the day than in the evenings and that sitting in front of the telly was all I was doing things had maybe tensed or seized up. I used to sit propped up on pillows, in fact I had to do that last night again for some reason, it's two weeks today since surgery and a familiar niggle this past two days which is worrying but I'm trying to work through it. I used to break down daily at that time of day and actually say to my husband I dreaded that time of night as I knew a sleepless, painful night was ahead. Have you tried heat and cold packs to relieve the pain at all whilst you are sitting?   I used to find the cool, even a cool cotton pillow very comforting.
    • Posted

I find the heat really soothing, but I'm hoping after surgery tomoz I won't need anything except some good pain meds to get over the op. It is funny how it seems worse when the sun goes down though HUH??
  • Posted

I don't think you need sleeping tablets, you need good strong pain relief tablets. I've been told by a doctor that the trick is to keep the pain at bay, don't let it get bad then try and get rid of it, take medication on a regular basis and keep the pain under control. Let's face it, if we can control the pain we will sleep. 

I sleep on my back propped up on pillows with a pillow under my arm and heat bag on my shoulder.....which I re- heat through the night if I need to. 💤💤💤💤💤

• Posted

i think maybe i need some stronger pills , the ones i am taking dont seem to have much effect
    • Posted

Jim....honestly....talk to your GP about Strong non drowsy pain relief. Anything worth taking you will need a script for, anything you buy without a script across the counter just isn't going to touch our kind of pain. Like I said if you relieve the pain you will sleep....sometimes it's a bit of a fiddle to find a prescription med that works but I do find the Targin work good for me. Your GP should be able to advise you.....BUT you really have to beat them with a stick to make them realise HOW MUCH pain you are suffering. Don't hold back 😘
    • Posted

hi kerri i think the doctors dont realise how painful F/S is , but your right i need to go back and get something better , but the painkillers i took for my right shoulder didnt work either , i just put up with it until the surgery
    • Posted

There is NO way you should have to put up with pain Luvvy.....there are a huge selection of strong pain meds available these days on script. A good GP should be able to prescribe suitable pain killers, but you have to really let him know what your pain is like. I think it's always best to put it on a 1-10 pain level.....10 being the worst for you, I will guarantee you are at an 8 most of the time and nightly up to a 10. This is how you need to explain it I reckon cause that's what they understand.......make sure you also tell doc that what you have been taking dosnt even touch the pain. I had 3 doc apps in 2 weeks.....getting stronger pain killers each visit till I got one that I find quite good and there is still another high dosage I havnt even had yet. Good luck Jim.....let me know how you get on. Tell them you need STRONG....not mild
  • Posted

Hi Jim

I too resort to painkillers at night and heat pad.  I think i need a pillow now too, so will try that tonight.  i dont have a v shaped one so will bash an ordinary one into shape! lol.   I try not to take tablets throughout the day and just have then when i get home as they send me to sleep.   They are codeine and paracetemol.  So very effective.  Occasionally i have to take some nurofen during the day to get rid of the aching. but agree very annoying now.  Hope you sleep okay this evening.

• Posted

hi Debbie , didnt have a great night sleep , just couldnt get comfortable , i think the answer is to get rid of this damn F/S
  • Posted

I agree with the others Jim, stay away from more tablets to help you sleep it's the pain you need to get under control but it is hard. I spent many a long hour up and about watching telly or whatever. Rest when you canm but that's hard if you have a family to look after or are working. I just couldn't work and have been off for nearly 9 weeks. At it's worst I even thought that the healthy shoulder was starting to 'feel weird' and worried myself sick I was heading for a double frozen shoulder.  A lot of people on here go for the v pillows but I never got round to it and used normal pillows to block myself in, keeping my bad arm still on one between myself and my husband! I also often (and still do for stretching) 'hug' round a pillow lying along my body on the 'good size' this seemed to give some relief. There is no doubt though that sleep is a gift and a good one is impossible. I couldn't function on the tiredness but it does ease. Heat helps but sometimes I found just lying my bad arm on a cool pillow whilst watching telly or in bed gave comfort too. When my husband left for work early in the morning, he got used to replacing all the pillows and tucking me in, me in the middle of two pillows placed lengthways, this seemed to help give me another fiew hours of sleep after he left but I was really tucked in!  Please ensure you take all your meds, I was stupid and suffered when I needn't have as badly. My surgeon once told me that nothing actually gets rid of the pain at it's worst, it's such an odd one but I had solpadol (codeine) 2 30g 4 times a day at it's worst. Tirednessa, pain and generally looking and feeling yuk play havoc with how you feel. Take care
    • Posted

i havent worked since xmas , i wouldnt be able to lift anything and i wouldnt feel safe climbing up ladders etc in case my arm gave in , which it often does , im gonna try different pain killers , maybe thats the answer
    • Posted

How's things today Jim? Any further forward in getting different medication?

Mandy

• Posted

i have an appointment tomorrow , gonna ask about it then  , wasnt too bad last night , im gonna take the painkillers whether i am in pain or not , maybe it will build up my pain threshold , who knows .
    • Posted

Jim....honestly a doctor told me you have to take the pain killers religiously, whether it be 3 times a day or every 4-6 hours whatever your told. Don't wait till your in pain to take them, the trick is to keep the pain at bay. That's how they are designed to work. Good luck 😜, and PLEASE I'm trusting you to get a good painkiller so you can get on here and tell all our other friends so they can try them too....lol 😀

You demand something good and strong.

• Posted

Definately take them regardless Jim, I tried to be a bold hero and it's hopeless, as Kerri said they are designed to release the medication to keep pain at bay. Taking them spradically makes them less effective. Sending hugs and good wishes for your appointment tomorrow, be strong and honest about the level of pain and how it's affecting sleep and basic functioning. Mandy x
    • Posted

hi  mandy im  gonna try and take them , pain or not maybe your right and i need build up the pain relief for it to be most effective

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.