Sleepless Nights

Posted , 9 users are following.

6 weeks on from RTKR and still experiencing sleepless nights no matter what time I go to bed wake up after 1 - 2 hrs in agony with pain and restless leg on operated knee, take pain meds before bed Dr also gave me some Amitryptiline to help with the restless leg but was almost climbing up the wall last night any other suggestions welcome can't take stronger meds like Tramadol or OxyContin 

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jennifer,

This is a quick reply as am rushing off to work. In the UK amitryptilline is given for the nerve pain you describe . . . .  Go get some from your doctor. I waited until 12 weeks post op until I did and really wished I'd got it sooner. All the other stuff you describe is normal, it is still very early days for you so carry on with your exercises and other pain meds and know that it will improve. 

Good luck

Trish x

• Posted

Hi Trish and thanks for your message Yes have got Amitriptyline for nerve pain and will be giving it another go tonight

Had physio today really worked hard with that so hopefully it will pay off keep doing my home exercises too

Thanks again and my best wishes to you

• Posted

Can I be pesonal and ask why you cannot take anything stronger.

At night, when you take your painkillers and Amitryptiline (this is not a sedative), also take a sedative like zoplicone, If you then wake in the night, it will be easier to drop off

• Posted

Hi and thanks for your message

Anything stronger than codeine makes me so sick nauseas and completely not in control of myself and as I live alone I just can't be like that

My Dr won't give me an actual sedative as they can become addictive but amitriptyline is used to treat insomnia will give it another go tonight

My best wishes to you

• Posted

Gosh, hope you are not struggling too much pain.  Has your doctor tried you on  zomorph capsules. They come in various strengths, apparently they can be broken open and sprinkled into food. There are also meds that stop you feeling nauseous. To take the right amount of codeine to tackle pain, would certainly make you feel as if you are losing control.  A lot of drugs on the market have the same effect if they are to work   As well as amytripyline I take zoplicone.  On a good take it takes a out 30 minutes to knock out, on the other hand, if I want to stay awake after taking the pills I can, hence me writing on here now.  If I wake up in the night through pain, after it has washed over me I am able to go back to sleep and wake in the morning feeling not as tired as I should. Some drugs I've been have had be dribbling and drooling like a baby, raising 2 children on my own, this was not an option.  I would like to think the drugs I'm on are the right ones, yes they are addicted.  Every so often I cut back; just to see what pain I was actually in. Daft yes, but I have my life back and am able to cope with the pain.  Don't be afraid to try something else.  All drugs are addictive if taken them long enough, so that is a poor excuse coming from your doctor, it's how you handle them; without actually stopping them, you are able to use them to control your pain.  Without pain, you can function.  You do need a top up to help you sleep, but whilst you are having a decent nights sleep your body is healing
  • Posted

Sorry speeling part of my brain not functioning. the word is personal
  • Posted

Hi Jennifer ,I was exactly the same, I found if I lay on sofa all evening with ice on my knee it helped. But it's all part of the healing process and it's only been the last two weeks that I have started to sleep all night and I am nearly 13 weeks now. It is early days still for you, but I found the lack of sleep really got to me, I began to dread going to bed. The up side I did read a lot of books lol. Hope you start getting a good night's sleep soon. Best wishes Jannette
    • Posted

Hi Jannette and thanks for your message yes I have got through lots of books and puzzles never ever had trouble sleeping before just wish I could get at least 4 hrs in one go! So I will think positive and hopefully in another free weeks my sleep pattern will be restored

My best wishes to you

• Posted

I am 7 months on now and feel your pain !! I nearly went mad with that and in the end i was tired depressed even .. Trust me it will pass even being 7 nonths on my knee still gets sore and stiff hates the cold!! but no pain .... You have had major surgery and all the nerves etc needs to heal ...I did take strong pain killers but lots if ice round mt leg helped Nightime is the worse I never knew what to do some nights so your not alone Keep goin you will get better 
    • Posted

Thank you for your message at least I know it's not just me and others have gone through it and come out the other side

I never anticipated going through all this pain

Thanks again for your words much appreciated and my best wishes to you

• Posted

Try and massage your leg before bedtime to warm it up using some body butter or body cream,then wear a pair of fluffy socks for bed, keep as warm as possible in bed. Also eating a banana a day helped my restless legs as its something to do with magnesium deficiency. I had dreadful restless legs and these all helped me greatly,also when it starts strong painkillers can help if nothing else does . good luck
    • Posted

Thank you for your message much appreciated I do have a banana every day but will get some magnesium tablets to top up

Haven't had restless for years all started after the op

Will definitely find some fluffy socks thanks for that tip already doing the massage

My best wishes to you

• Posted

I feel you. im on my six week post op...my leg especially.on sidenear hip all the way down my calf...is lije a tight pull...and is painful...now where the knee part is I feel no bone to bone pain..so im happy with that....but this side pain...drive me crAzy. .I get it messAged...it helps also hot bAths relax these tight band.

It has been brutal.. but I see with this web site many has recovered...it gives me hope for better days ahead

As far as med I have tylenol with oxicoden..it start to kick in an hour after I take it . nKes me sleeppy...and makes my breAthing slow...so I dont tKe it....only if im cryi g with pain. will stray tKing 600 mg of motrin every five hrs. I hope that can work... ..

• Posted

Hi thanks for your message and the advice have tried massage and hot bath before bed will just keep at it I know there is light at the end of the tunnel it's just so hard to see it in the middle of the night

I can't take OxyContin have to make do with Tylenol and codeine

My best wishes to you

• Posted

I had both knees replaced at the same time 7 weeks ago.  Week 4 I had a meltdown in the doctors office from exhaustion.  Like you the knee pain while trying to sleep was resulting in total exhaustion.  Their solution was to prescribe Flexiril and double my pain meds.  For the most part this worked well. I know you cannot take strong pain meds but ask them about a muscle relaxer.  Good luck.
    • Posted

How brave of you to have both knees done can't imagine what double suffering must be like

Will give the Amitriptyline another go and maybe take an extra pain killer at bed time

Thanks for your message and my best wishes you you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.