SLIDING HIATUS HERNIA SYMPTOMS AND QUESTIONS

Posted , 184 users are following.

Hi I'm new to this site, just recently been diagnosed with a 4cm sliding hiatus hernia after suffering for 2 years with horrendous chest, neck, shoulder and back pain! been to A&E a least 5 times this year thinking I was having heart problems! had an endoscopy 4 weeks ago and was diagnosed! so now what? I was sent home with no advise whatsoever. been on all the PPI's for the last 15 years as I suffer with GERD and IBS! I feel bloated all the time, I burp, fart, feel sick and light headed and now I get a pulsating throb from my tummy through my chest into my throat cry If I eat the wrong thing it feels like I got a tennis ball stuck behind my sternum, really fed up with this now. I won't go the operation route, it's not got a good success rate! so it's maintenance, put the head of my bed on two blocks 8inches high, given up gluten and dairy and all spicy foods eat 3 hours before I got to bed and have a swig of gaviscon as a night cap! I take a multi vitamin and magnesium supplements. the next step is stop smoking and drinking red wine rolleyes what else can I do? the omeprazole makes me feel crap, so I've gone back to ranitidine. any advise would seriously be welcomed.........

19 likes, 317 replies

317 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry I meant to say I'm 57 year old male carpenter, who now can't bend over or lift anything heavy!!
  • Posted

Hi eddie 10

You need to be seeing a gastroenterologist consultant not your GP to discuss options and maybe having

surgery.

• Posted

I have suffered with GORD and IBS for over 20 years. During my last Endoscopy (3 so far) as Heartburn was awful I was diagnosed with a Sliding Hiatal Hernia. Have been fine over last 2 years but last 6 weeks suffering with terrible heartburn and stabbing pains in middle of chest. Sometimes the pain is so sharp it takes my breathe away. Happen when am sitting down. Saw GP who said it was not heart reataed but the heartburn. Also suffering with back ache in shoulder blade mainly on left side and in middle of back. Is this the type of pain you also suffered from Eddie 10? The only time I don't have the pain is when having an alcoholic drink, think it numbs the nerve endings.

Teresa

• Posted

teresa .I just started to get pain in my shoulder blades in the last 2 months after 29 years with my hernia.when I sit back against something it seems to push more gas to my front.I was wondering if you have the same thing.
    • Posted

Teresa and Pam 58 from organ it now in Mexico for over 20 years I've had a lot of the same symptoms I have severe IBS gerd esophagitis. I have gone through seven months of this pain starting out with severe gastritis now with a lump below sternum right in the middle with nauseous and paying nothing like before but. Feel like dying but I believe in God I have been to six doctors finally I have an appointment with a gastro Dr from Mexico City as there is none where I am I checked on pancreatitis everything any ideas about this even checked out the exphoid process but nothing about my other symptoms any help would be greatly appreciated Pam

• Posted

Hey Pam

Just read your post, your symptons sound alot like mine except for the shortness of breath. I feel like something is stuck in my chest and prevents me from having a full breath when i breath in or talk. Its horrible. Do you ever experience any shortness of breath?

• Posted

i get all those symptoms sometimes it feels like someone has shoved a red hot poker into my chest now i have trouble breathing not sure if its related but I'm really fed up with it now.

• Posted

Mark, the breathing trouble must be looked into urgently - that is not related to hernia problems usually so please get it checked out immediately to eliminate heart problems 
    • Posted

Sally. Gerd and breathing problems go hand in hand and are related in many ways
    • Posted

Absolutely right about gerd and breathing it is related to hernia - I wish peeps would not scare the pants off people  unnecessarily.
    • Posted

We didn’t hear back from Mark, but as far as I could read he had not got a diagnosis at his time of writing. So alway best to have any chest pain and shortness of breath checked out. 
    • Posted

well i had shortness of breath and got heart checked..the incidental finding was hiatal hernia..to be honest you are probably better off testing for the hernia first and if you don't have that getting the heart checked as the heart checks are radiation..even a CT stomach is less radiation than a cardiac CT and definitely less than a nuclear stress test which clocks in at around 10 msv in teh best case scenarios...the option of checking the heart first in chest pain is getting better and better these days as 320 slice and 640 slice ct scanners are getting better and better with low dose scans..

• Posted

hi, i don't know what type of hernia i have but do know you should lie on your left as right side makes acid reflux worse and on back puts more pressure on heart. i feel for you.

• Posted

Hi Teresa, a lot has happened since I last posted! But first

Your question. The hiatus hernia causes major chest pain

Which radiates through you chest and between your shoulder blades

And can affect your neck as well, along with all the other symptoms. Now the

Culprit for most hernia pain is the vagus nerve, which runs from your brain through

Your esophagus and into your tummy, when the tummy is pushed up through the hernia

It presses on the vagus nerve and bang your in trouble. At this present time my ibs is giving me grief, woke

Up with pain in my left abdomen, had it all day along with bloating! Its my own fault I took the piss last night and ate a bar of chocolate! Sad when you can't even do that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.