Slight leaking after anterior and posterior repair plus vaginal hysterectomy

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am now nearly twelve weeks post op for an anterior and posterior repair plus a vaginal hysterectomy. I feel I have recovered really well after the surgery, I was never in a great deal of pain, and have tried so hard not to lift, do too much and allow my body to heal.

My reason for eventually opting for the surgery was leaking of urine, I do quite a lot of sport, badminton, jogging, step and horse riding and it was getting worse.

I am concerned that the surgery may not have worked, I feel there is still a bulge on the anterior wall and often feel my bladder isn't empty. My major worry is that I am still leaking when bending down, any slight trip and when walking. It seems worse now than immediately after surgery. ??

Has anyone experienced this at this stage after surgery, am I expecting too much too soon?

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sheila, did your surgeon use mesh to undertake your repairs? I'm sure that other women will respond to you with more experience than I have but just in case no-one responds for a few days, I'll make a few comments.. Have you looked on the Facebook page called "Sling the Mesh". It may be worth joining so that you can read what other women comment after their procedures.

I had a TVT mesh inserted for stress incontinence in 2004 and my procedure was too tight. It later corrected itself by coming loose on one side and it stopped the incontinence from straight after the surgery. It still works fine for that. 

As mine worked well stopping the incontinence immediately, I would contact your surgeon or at least get an appointment to return as there may be a problem. I have read about other women who also had mesh used, where it has rolled into a lump and it sounds like this may have occurred in your case. However, I'm not medically trained. 

I hope that you manage to get it sorted out. Look after yourself - Denise

• Posted

Hi Denise. Thank you for your reply, I didn't have the mesh, I have read all the recent reports about this!

I have a follow up appointment in September, my surgeon needs to wait that long to ensure everything is healed, she can then assess the bladder and any incontinence. I will have to wait and see. ??

• Posted

Hi Sheila. Hopefully your still monitoring this thread after 6 mths. I just had the same surgery as you did. Hysterectomy with anterior posterior prolapse repair. No mesh...used my body. And at 4 wks post op my panty liner is still showing signs of leaking. Have to change it after several hours....same as previous surgery. Wondering if your situation eventually improved. If not what is your doctor recommending now? Thank you!

Cindy

• Posted

Hi Cindy

I am now 8 months post op and still have the leaking, I have no prolapses but still the symptoms. ??

I saw my consultant again on January 2nd and was referred for physiotherapy, I had an appointment last Thursday. I've been advised that the number one treatment for stress incontinence is pelvic floor exercises, I've been doing these from six weeks but have now got to only do them lying down. It's hard to explain but apparently my urethra is the bulge so if I'm standing or sitting to do the exercises this still bulges! 

Now working hard on these and hoping for some improvement, the physio doesn't feel I should have further surgery. 

Fingers, and legs crossed! Will keep you posted, if I can find this thread again. 

All the best. 😃

• Posted

Hi Sheila

I had a hysterectomy/anterior/posterior repair on 9th April, 4 weeks on I’ve got the same problem you had, all was good but now leaking urine when walking even though emptying bladder before hand, I see my Urogynecology nurse on 30th May. I just wondered how you have got on, as I didn’t have this urine problem only leakage when coughing and exercise, never when just walking after 10 minutes.

• Posted

Hi Maria

How did you get on with your appointment. I'm 5 weeks post surgery and have same issue. No leakage prior to surgery but now I do 😢

• Posted

Hi Kym

Saw my Urogynecology Nurse she check me over and said everything is where it should be, I said to her is it normal to see your urethra opening when I took a look as I always thought it was higher in your vangina and she said yes, explained about the leaking which she said was one of the side effects ( not good as have to wear pads) told me I must do my pelvic floor exercise which I do, also I have brought a Kegal Ultra 8 £149.00 but advised not to use it until my 3months is up end June she did approve of this also it has got good reviews but should also do your pelvic floor exercises as well as using Kegal, also she told me about this App called NHS Squeezy which is brilliant as it times you doing your pelvic floor. I’m pretty desperate so will try anything, told that if things don’t improve to go back in 6 months time and they will advise me on other options! One is a bulking agent the other is the mesh that has had bad reviews in press. Pease let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi Maria

So r they saying in 6 months time if ur bladder leakage hasn't resolved the only other option is surgery?

• Posted

Yes she told me not to suffer in silence, and to come back but I’m hoping that the exercises will help cure this, did you have mesh or your bladder stitched back.
    • Posted

Hi Maria

No mesh and no he didn't touch my bladder just fixed anterior and posterior walls of vagina.

• Posted

Hi Kym

I thought an anterior repair was for a prolapsed bladder, I’m on holiday at mo with my family and had to wear pads every day, seeing my GP when I get back, still doing pelvic floor exercises, how are you getting on.

• Posted

Hi

Yes I had anterior and posterior repair. He thinks now that the bladder isn't prolapse in2 the vagina now and my pelvic floor muscles r weak the weee is just trickling out ... I have my first physio appointment 2morro. The physio needs to work cos I've looked on the internet at the TVT sling and that horrifies me.

• Posted

Hi

How did you get on with your physio appointment, I think I mentioned to you that I brought that Kegal Ultra 8 which I will start using as soon as get home from holiday so hopefully that will help, as i have found this really stressful having to carry round pads and it was really inconvenient when we were at the beach.

• Posted

Hi

Physio was very nice. I have very weak pelvic floor muscles she said so i have exercises 2 do 3 x day. I'm really hoping for improvement before we leave on holidays in a months time. How r u going?

• Posted

Hi Kym

Back from holiday and went to see my GP today as the hospital had prescribed me HRT patches and also sent a letter to my GP asking him to prescribe Vagifem pessaries and I needed to know if I could use them together, explained to him about the stress incontinence when walking, in fact I started to grizzle, it’s happening when I do proper walking; on holiday walking 15 minutes to beach, to restaurants nothing to far away etc, wandering around in doors I’m not so bad. He was really kind and explained still early days persever with exercises and Kegal and if not improving go back after a few months so fingers crossed. I’m back to work tomorrow as well so that’s stressing me as I’ve put loads of pads in my bag. I joined on Face Book - Sling the Mesh OMG what those poor women are experiencing the stories are horrendous, so even thou that was mentioned at my Gynaecologist check up that is a definite NO!

How are you getting along, when was your operation done

• Posted

Hi Maria my surgery was 7 weeks ago 2day. My bladder seems a little better the last few days. Good luck with ur recovery and I'm with u I would be way 2 terrified 2 have the sling op!

• Posted

Hi Maria

I went 2 c another physio yesterday and she said I may be leaking post anterior repair as quite possibly when I was prolapse my urethra was linked and now that it isn't my weak pelvic floor can't hold on. I'm not sure but I didn't leak b4 my surgery. So 2day I'm back at work and after having a few minimal leak days I've been bad 2day which is a bit depressing. Hope ur doing well xox

• Posted

Sorry Maria that should've been kinked urethra. I hate autocorrect!

• Posted

Hi Kym

I haven’t been too bad last couple of days; I’ve been doing the pelvic floor for 3 weeks, 3 times a day, have you downloaded the App called Squeezy it’s brilliant has it goes through the motion of the exercises. I still find it worrying that I have this stress continence when walking for any period which I didn’t have before, I did have a really bad prolapse so I don’t miss that. I’ve been talking about it at work and it’s surprisingly how many women suffer with stress incontinence, one girl told me she had mesh 2 years ago and no problems, and she seems to think that the sling the mesh is about women that had it done a few years ago and they have changed the product, another the same as us but gets leakage now and again I don’t think it’s such a taboo subject as it gets a lot of media attention. Finger crossed for both of us.

• Posted

Hi Maria

Yep I downloaded the Squeezy app 2. It's upsetting having one problem replace another. Fingers crossed we can develop awesome pelvic floor muscles!

• Posted

Hi Kim, 

i find that Squeezy app really good, this weekend I’ve been doing a bit of walking and that’s when I start leaking, could cry. In a few weeks I’m watching my daughter in law run the race for life and already I feel panic about where the nearest toilets are and shall have to buy thicker towels, hope you are doing better than me.

• Posted

Hi Maria

I guess we have 2 try and be patient but it's very hard. This week at work I made sure I had spare pads in all my work jacket pockets in case I needed to change them somewhere. I really don't want 2 be leaking the whole time we r on holidays ... we leave on 12th July but I think that's just going 2 be a fact now. Pelvic floor exercises as I understand will take months to show any improvement. At this stage I still wish I'd put up with the prolapse! I'm trying 2 stay positive but it's not easy. Ur not alone my friend 🤗

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.