slimy eyes, driving me mad :(

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hey guys im new here. Nice to meet people with the similar problem, Ive had this terrible condition since I was 18, i am now nearly 28. I dont get as itchy eyes as others do, the part that I really struggle with is the stringy discharge that im constantly pulling out (normally from the corner of my eye) does anyone else have this? Every day now im rubbing and cleaning my eyes to the point where they look like the devil (extremely saw and red). It dosnt really effect my vision, unless theres an enoying bit of slime across my pupil as I blink somtimes, and just when im trying to do somthing too. You can imagine what my eyes are like in the morning. Im not a happy guy these days, I wish the goverment would just share their secret stash of cures and remedies with the rest of us. God luck hunting for soothed eyes...all the best,

Andy smile

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You sure you don't have an eye infection?
    • Posted

Well as i say i have had it for 10 years and have joined a discussion labled 'Blepharitis'..... So yes im pretty sure we know its not just an eye infection!
  • Posted

Hi Andy,

I had that too, it was a watery sleep discharge that would constantly come out of my inner eye. I also had this watery film just sitting on my eye. Mine started from an eye infection so I'm pretty sure mine in bacterial in nature. I believe the bacteria have done something to my glands and hence why the tear fil has been compromised. 

I have found comfort with a oral antibiotic that is used to treat bleph called azithromycin. I no longer have that discharge and the watery eye has gone. Maybe you could go to your doc and ask about that. I am using over a 4 month period, you only take two pills once a month as this pill has long lasting tissue penetration.

Wish you luck,

Ana 

• Posted

Oh brilliant, thanx for you coment ana, will definitely mention that next time i go to the docs
  • Posted

Hi Andy

Where do you live?   It seems to make a difference what part of the world you live in.

We all find different remedies

I take it you've read through the threads?

Nothing there you think you would try?

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hello Eileen

Thank you for your reply, I live in the south of the UK, and it does make a difference when i go somewher else (usually gets quite bad indoors) I have tried quite a few eye drops over the years, im using 'Systance Balance' at the moment, it slightly helps, my doctor told me i just have to live with it, but im sure there is somthing out there that can help.

• Posted

Hi Andy

As well as using the wet ones.....I use an eye drop prescribed by a doc. Optive Plus. Supposed to use it 6 times a day but dont always use it as much,

I also got a cream from over the counter at Boots...their own make eye lubricating cream.{or gel??} I think it can be used in the eyes but I was sold it and told to use it for itchiness on eyelids {not sure that you have that on your eyes} and sometimes the corners get very sore and it helps that as well....£2.99 so not exactly the most expensive  LOL

I'm in the North East by the way

Love

Eileen

• Posted

I tried a few types of gels but couldnt get on with them plus it didnt really work, I'll have to keep trying other stuff, i will update you guys soon

Cheers 

• Posted

Andrew, this prescription (eye drops) that I'm on "Vigomax" is supposed to work on the Staphyloccocus bacteria that Lynda79 has said she uses Wet Ones to treat.  I am on my second round of this eye drop.  I read in a google site that it may take 3 rounds of antibiotics to kill.  It's stubborn!  I am also thinking that I am going to have to disinffect all surfaces in my house, ie. like my computer keyboard and car steering wheel, etc. as it is likely that I am rei-inffecting my eyes by touching/scratching my eyes throughout the day.  Anyway, you may want to google for yourself (as I mentioned in a reply to another) the bacteria Staphylococcus, blepharitis and treatments (benzonium chloride is one) to see whether this applies to you.  Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi,  I do sympathise. It is horrible to have trouble with your eyes.  Those who don't suffer don't realise the problems it cause.  You say you have had this condition for 10 years?   Has the blepharitis got worse over the years?  What cleaning regime do you use?  As Eileen has said read through the threads for tips and ideas. No one thing works for everyone.  Maybe you could ask to be referred to an opthalmologist.  My blepharitis is now under control but I wouldn't wish in on anyone.

All the Best

Carol

• Posted

Hello Carol

Im glad to hear you dont suffer from it anymore. Yes nearly 10 years now and yes it has got worse, it gets worse at night times. I have tried a few different eye drops over the years, the one that helps (only slightly) is called 'Systance Balance' but its not cheap and dosnt last long. Im going to have to go see the doctor or someone again soon, i thought it would be a good idea to hear other peoples situations before so i can mention it to them. 

Thank you for your reply, Andy

• Posted

Hello Andy

First can I say that although I have the blepharitis/dry eyes under control I am by no means cured.  I have to methodically keep to my cleaning regime daily or I will get a flare up.  Sometimes these happen anyway.

Some on this forum do say have cleared it completely with wipes but I have not tried them. My regime is hot compresses for 5 to 10 min with flannel soaked in hot water (hot but not too to burn).  Many use a microwaveable rice bag instead of the flannel and find it works and it convenient.  It never worked for me found it too heavy and drying.  Just shows how one thing does not work for everyone.  After the compresses I massage both upper and lower lids to release oil from any blocked glands.  This does not happen with everyone but the blocked glands cause dry sore eyes and the blurring of vision you mention.  After this I methodically clean the area around the eyelashes upper and lower with a solution of 1/2 cup of cooled boiled water with around 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda.  Most gps/opthalmologists say to use baby shampoo in cooled water, which I did for years byt find the bicarb

much gentler on the eyes.  I now only do this once a day but if bad twice.

You have to make sure you clean way any debri you can see.  At the eye hospital they can see this debri under their slit lamp.  I use celluvisc preservative free individual phials for lubricating dry eyes.  This was recommended to me by the eye hospital and I have it on presecription.

Luckily as I am a pensioner my presecriptions are now free. Thank 

heavens because I am on a lot of medication.  Have you been given a cleaning regime to follow.  It does take time to see an improvement you have to be patient and methodical, not easy I know.  The other thing that affects me is light sensitivy with goes with this condition. Mine has not been helped by 2 cataract ops in the last 2 years, although it hav improved a lot.  Hope you can find some help and something that works for you, I wonder if you have something other than blepharitis,  My apologies if this was the diagnosis given to you.  Take care.

Carol

• Posted

Hi Carol,

I try to clean my eyes as much as i can but it never seems to help, somtimes my eyes could be fine all day so i dont feel the need to do anything, some days it dosnt effect me atall and some days its really bad. Keeping my eyes clean is quite hard because i work as a gardener. I guess i have to keep on trying different things.

Cheers, Andy

• Posted

Hi Andy,  Could it be something you use during the course of your work as a gardener.  You say it does not affect you all the time, could it be something you don't use daily. Just a thought.

Carol

• Posted

Yes, there is definitely plants out there that make it worse (not sure what tho) but i can be outside sometimes and its fine, when im watching tv at night seems to be the worst. I think it could be a number of things that trigger it. Im going to try some other drops soon and as Eileen mentioned some wipes. I'll make an apointment soon and let you guys know what happens. Thanks for your help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.