Small areas of white on bottom ribs DEXA SCAN. Is this osteoporosis too?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm 34. I've had osteoporosis for two years and in my DEXA scan today and last years one I had areas of white in the bottom ribs. I was bed bound for a long time (hence dis-use osteoporosis) and was laying on my right side which is the same side is the rib patches of white. I've also had what they think was a rib fracture last November which still gets a bit tender. If it is osteoporosis in my ribs is there anything I can do? I'm not on medication for the osteoporosis yet but do take vitamin D and calcium.

Thanks

Melissa

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Your doctor should be able to tell you what the white is indicative of.  Who prescribed the DEXA, why aren't they giving you advice on this?

• Posted

I'm under an endocrinologist but she hasn't mentioned it. I'm seeing her next week to see if I need to start fosamax. She said last year, if my osteoporosis continues to get worse, I have to start fosamax. But because I haven't had children yet, I might not be able too have children because they said the risk of congenital defects is very high. So waiting to see what she recommends. It's got worse so I'm not sure what she'll say 😒.

• Posted

But no one has said what the white is.
  • Posted

What are the results of your scans? Has your osteoporosis worsened?

There is more you can do in the way of natural like taking vitamin K2 but you need to know the results of your DEXA scans because around -2.5 is not too bad but -5 is much more serious.

• Posted

just heard on BBC world news radio that latest research reveals that incidence of fractures rise afer a few years use of bisphophonates (didnt specify how long 'few years' was) .People started getting 'tiny' fractures.

?All to do with bone strength.

• Posted

I have mild degenerative disc changes throughout my lumbar spine, mild facet joint hypertrophy at L5/S1, (after a medication induced tonic-clonic seizure I suspect, I had disc and mild vertebral bruising at the time), both my femurs were partially dislocating for almost 3 years from a medical incident I had almost 5 years ago which have been surgically stabilised, my sciatic nerve was tethered to muscle in my left hip which was released via an open surgery which resulted in nerve damage, my nerve pain is back so they think the neurosurgeon will need re-do the sciatic nerve surgery (he's not the original surgeon), my left ankle was also partially dislocating due to damage caused during the hip subluxations, I had a 1 litre post op bleed they didn't evacuate after surgery into my hip in late 2015, and I've had two surgeries on my left ankle and always have foot pain and blood pooling in my left leg. I am now told if I have to go on fosamax plus all the other issues, the risks of having a baby is far too high. I have nightmares about falling and breaking my back or hip. All this is too much and the white spot looks odd. I'm very tired of pain. Physical and emotional. And no psychologist can take it away. 😢. I think having a child isn't going to happen 😢😞. What makes all this worse is none of it was my doing! I'm angry and sad and fed up at times.

• Posted

I have what you are describing in the back but I am 72 and a grandma. 

I am so sorry that you are in this situation at such a young age.

I would not consider fosamax but try the natural route.

You need support and I hope you have family to be there for you.

Where are you? I am in Australia but someone on here may be close to you.

• Posted

Yes,I have never started taking fosamax. 

I have degenerated spine with bulging discs and a nerve going into the sacroiliac but that did not persuade me to take the drugs.

• Posted

Hi

My endocrinologist wanted to start me on the fosamax last year but decided to try natural for a year. It's got worse and I've since had a fracture (was getting onto the couch, leaned and accidentally twisted and my rib broke). It's the same side as the white patches on my DEXA scan. So I'm quite nervous about my appointment next week. I don't know what to do and I think he'll suggest it. If I was post menopausal it wouldn't be an issue but it basically means I won't have children. Obviously my hip issues make carrying a baby very hard, and he said my spine could fracture with baby weight. So it's kind scary, both sides of argument re fosamax. Take it, never have kids, can't even try cause of congenital defect risks don't take it and I could continue to fracture and get worse. 😒

• Posted

I'm in Australia too! In Sydney. My parents are great (I have to live with them due to my mobility issues).

• Posted

Oh my dear, you have been through an awful lot - of course you are fed up, frustrated and at times angry and I admire your courage. This nerve problem in the muscle I know is awful, I have a similar situation but mine is caused by my L1. 2 and 3 vertabra having crumbled trapping the sciatic and sensory nerves badly. This pain wears one down utterly and when it is long term it affects mental and emotional as well. I am seeing a Bone Doctor for the first time since DEXA revealed my problems 14 months ago on 31 March and have so many questions lined up for him. I have another DEXA scan on 8 March ready for Clinic appointment. No-one would tell me what my T scores were last time so this time I will insist. I tried to take Fosomax but had to stop after 8 months because of gastro-intestinal problems. Now I am just taking Calcium/Vit D3, K2 and magnesium, but will see what is offered at Clinic. Also eat a diet rich in fish oils...tuna, salmon, sardines, mackeral etc.

?You have been through an awful lot and have more surgery to contend with and I wish I could be of more help to you Melissa. You are still of child bearing age and I do hope that you don't have to give up your dream of having a baby. Gosh, if you lived in the USA you would be suing the medical profession right, left and centre!

If ever you just want to chat please feel free to pm me. Best wishes and a big healing hug

• Posted

Thank you! Gosh yours sounds like agony! Can they operate to relieve the pressure on the nerves? I am suing but it's taking so long 😢. I'm seeing the endocrinologist next week and he will make a decision re fosamax then. My gynaecologist/hip surgeon says that having a baby's weight on my hips might be too risky and could cause the operations to fail. So I don't know. I don't have a man and have to use a wheelchair when I'm out and about so I'm not exactly great girlfriend material. Endocrinologist says if I want a baby it'll have to be now because by the time I get off fosamax and get it out of my system I'll be 40 and with my hip issues, the younger I am as a possible mother the better. It's so confusing. I'm 35 in April. In the meantime, my hip/nerve pain getting worse and I'm waiting to see the neurosurgeon in March for another surgery. So if fossmax has to start, that will eliminate baby carrying I guess. It all sucks. I'd like to get eggs taken just in case before they start fosamax but can't afford it. (Can't afford a baby now either). So will see what happens next week. Either way, I guess it's getting too risky to carry a baby, fosamax or no fosamax. I think my gynecologist will drop his bundle when he finds I have osteoporosis on top of the other stuff. 5 years of things and it's just keeps getting worse. It's tiring. Thanks for listening 😊

• Posted

I take vitamin D, magnesium, calcium and The Pill (for hormones due to PCOS). I try to walk as much as I can but it's quite painful on my left leg. I use a frame at home. I just hate to think all this trying to get better is for nothing, for no one. No husband, no children. My friends have slipped away, they don't know what to say so they stay away. I'm in pain all the time and I'm tired of it. They might consider a spinal cord stimulator as the risk of a sciatic nerve palsy post this next surgery is quite high. If neurosurgeon thinks it's too risky, I think stimulator would be next step. Anyway, down in the dumps to day. Sorry.

• Posted

I will try to pm you later in the day Melissa....if you see the bell at the top it will tell you when the message is waiting. I am happy to try to support you emotionally - sometimes it is easier to talk to a stranger especially when friends have fallen away. Loneliness on top of everything else is just adding to all your burdens. I have to go out now but will mssg you later.
    • Posted

Hi Melissa

​It seems I maybe cannot private message you on this forum (altho I can on some others) so my apologies. Are you on FB? I am but am difficult to find as no photo and little info (trust issues) - If you say your full name and a bit of info to help me find you I can put in a friend request, but only if this is ok with you.

• Posted

Hi

Thanks that's very kind. My FB is Mip Miriam. It's the only one on there. Blond girl with little cat in photo. 😊

• Posted

I will send you a friend invite. I can chat with you and share my life. Facebook is great for people who are mobility challenged.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.