Small areas of white on bottom ribs DEXA SCAN. Is this osteoporosis too?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm 34. I've had osteoporosis for two years and in my DEXA scan today and last years one I had areas of white in the bottom ribs. I was bed bound for a long time (hence dis-use osteoporosis) and was laying on my right side which is the same side is the rib patches of white. I've also had what they think was a rib fracture last November which still gets a bit tender. If it is osteoporosis in my ribs is there anything I can do? I'm not on medication for the osteoporosis yet but do take vitamin D and calcium.

Thanks

Melissa

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Melissa I would concentrate on finding out why your bones are in this state at 34 years old first.  Nothing will be that affective until you known the cause of your osteoporsis, and if you don't know what the white is on your ribs you need to ask more questions Melissa, it is your body and your welfare at stake, not theres.  With a dexa scan I have heard of 'hot spots' and cold spots (dark areas and white areas

• Posted

With a Dexa scan, I have heard of 'white spots' showing up around 'dark spots', or 'hot spots' and 'cold spots', is this what you can see?  If so, it can possibly mean arthritis, BUT it can also mean other medical problems, so you need to wait for the results from your doctor, and if they don't tell you what the white areas are, ASK!  As far as your osteoporosis is concerned, I would advise you search for the cause, before you decide on what treatment you want Melissa. XX

• Posted

Sorry about repeating myself there Mellisa, I did not realise the first one had sent.  If you live in australia it is unlikely that you are lacking in vitamin D (lots of sunlight).  It sounds as though your body is not absorbing nutrients, this could be for several reasons, some easy to rectify and other reasons more complicated, but you do need to find out ASAP what the problem is, why your body is unable to absorb nutrients. XX
    • Posted

Amazing as it sounds Australians are lacking vitamin D. Even in the sunniest places this is showing up in blood tests. If we don't get diagnosed soon enough it contributes to the osteoporosis problem. 

It is easy to check with a blood test.

• Posted

We have  a similar problem in the middle east where in the summer time temps soar to 54 (apparent) so every1 is highly deficient in vit D as nobody goes out in the sun not even the proverbial mad dogs...though i must say i have a couple of mad people going for runs (dont know what nationality except to say they were European skinned
    • Posted

Hi. I asked my endocrinologist what it is. He said he doesn't know what the white spot is. 😒.

He said that he wants me to have a bone biopsy to see exactly why I have osteoporosis and depending on that, will depend on what treatment I will need. My femur T score is -3.3 not -2.7. He'll recommend the drip every three months or it'll be putting on more weight and weight bearing. This senario will be difficult cause I have hip problems and have a lot of pain weight bearing. I started crying cause if it's the lata treatment plan it will be very very hard. He just says do not fall! I quite like him. He's a nice dr, but he doesn't know why my bone are so weak yet. He's put me on the prescription active vitamin D daily.

• Posted

Sorry, I meant say my vitamin D dropped to 23 from being in hospital with my bad hips for so long. I was put on twice daily supplements and it went to 147! Then they stopped the supplement and it dropped. I've be on 1 tablet daily and now I'm on an active form of 0.25mcgs daily which dr may increase. He's also checking all my hormones as he said my poly-cystic ovarian syndrome might be contributing to the osteoporosis and dis-use, low BMI.

• Posted

Sounds like you might get some answers. I hope so. Do you eat well but not put on weight? 

Vitamin D is so important and many people are deficient. That alone can cause osteoporosis. Your case is very complicated though 

Not sure what the lata treatment is.

You have a lot to contend and you are very brave.

• Posted

Oh! So either medication and weight bearing or the lata treatment would be just weight bearing and putting on weight. I do eat but I weigh about 38kgs from being bed bound for two years. (Muscle wasting etc).

Because my hips are so crumby, if the treatment turns out to be just weight bearing, that's just going to make it very hard cause it's so painful to weight bear. I won't know treatment until they do the bone biopsy.

They might have to re-do my sciatic nerve surgery in my left hip so the dr said the neurosurgeon who will do my nerve surgery can get the bone biopsy then. 😊

• Posted

Oh my goodness, that is very low weight. So sorry you have been dealt such a crummy hand. 

I am struggling to lose weight because I am not active. I would gladly donate some of my weight if that were possible.

You have more to contend with than anyone else on this site.

My heart goes out to you. Hugs....

• Posted

Hi Kathleen. My left leg/thigh has been very bad today, I think it's my sciatic nerve but I'm not sure. Been crying on and off. It aches so much so I've been in bed most of the day with heat packs etc. I'm having an MRI of hip joint (to check it's not becoming unstable again) and sciatic nerve on Tuesday night. Though, my surgeon thinks I need the scatic nerve explored again. 

I hope once this is fixed I might be able to get on with things a bit, I hope. 

Thanks x

• Posted

I really hope things can improve for you. You are so young you should be able to enjoy life. Hopefully the MRI can point to some way to start to heal your hip and your leg. 

The sciatic nerve causes a lot of people problems. I think that comes off the spine when discs are ruptured.

Sending hugs to you.,,.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.