Smelly gas like sulphur and rotten eggs

Posted , 200 users are following.

Hi all. So embarrassed but don't know what else to do. I actually am getting seriously depressed as It Is so bad.

I have been getting really bloated and pass the most foul smelling gas ever, it stinks and lingers in the room. I'm having to air my bungalow every evening.

I eat relatively healthy, excercise regularly and am slim.

This has been going on solidly for 2 whole months. I have tried eating different things but i just keep getting this awful smell! Sometimes I feel like I'm going to shit myself!! I can't have people over and am scared to go out when I know I'll be in a small space. I gave up my job!!

I have had to do a stool sample, all clear. The doctors just say I have IBS. They gave me colofac (mebeverine) which did nothing! I don't know what the hell to do!!

PLEASE HELP

13 likes, 291 replies

291 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Have you tried Sulfur tablets? You will need to give them a week to ten days to rectify any problems you may have in your gut but do some research on it and give it a go. Sulfur can be bought and is very inert so wont do any harm at all, Iin fact we need it to survive and is looked over these days.
  • Posted

I suffer from this on and off also.  I also have IBS.   Basically I do an herbal parasite cleanse and some herbal antibiotics if they are not in the cleanse,  such as goldenseal, oil of oregano, olive leaf extract and colloidal silver.  A lot of parasitic cleanses have these herbs included.    I do garlic pill and vitamin c morning and night.  Drink lots of water and no sugar.  I take a good probiotic morning and night.  I also take slippery elm 3x a day.  After a few days symptoms are gone for me.  Some of these herbs can only be taken for up to 7 days, but my symptoms usually are gone in 2 to 3 days.  This works for me and is not intended to be any sort of medical advice.  Yeast overgrowth and bile not flowing properly which reduces the intestinal track defense against  parasites, yeast overgrowth, h, pylori, etc....is what I suspect may be the cause for me.     
    • Posted

I definitely have the same thing - bad bacteria, and I was wondering what cleanse you use.

• Posted

Jenny,

Go see a gastrointerologist, not just any doctor. Your family care physician can recommend one.

I was misdiagnosed with IBS (there is no medication for ibs) when I was 11. Then my dad, a radiologist, diagnosed md with ULCERATICE COLITIS. I take prescription meds foe it. After 1 year I was stable. After 12 years I've been stable and no longer take the meds. 

I get occasional gas, but I only go once a day and it is a normal, healthy poo.

Don't be embarrassed. But don't give up. It is not IBS if it is that bad. It COULD be UC, or colon cancer, or chrons disease. 

Please go see a GI. They can also help you with a steady diet. Not every UC patient needs a fibrous diet. I avoid carbs and drink tons of water (something you should go ahead and do), but don't just eat fiber. Too much fiber (especially Metamucil) gives me the runs.

Only medicine can help serious problems. And maybe a colonoscopy (I've had 3, they are painless).

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Jennyjames

I have similar problem which developed a few months ago. I'm coeliac and stick like glue to my diet. My dietician suggested that it could be because I'm trying to lose weight and therefore eating differently. She recommnded making slower changes to diet. She also suggested I may have developed lactose intollerance, and intend to explore this when I get a chance. It seems a bit depressing but anything has to be better than this.  

• Posted

Just wondering if you have found something that works yet because I'm an 18 year old female and it's gross
  • Posted

Hi Jennyjames,

I also struggled for years with terribly foul smelling flatulence and bloating, and i sort of managed to control it. It was due to fructose and its polymer (fructans), and by avoiding foods containing these components foul smelling flatulence went away unless i start eating fructose/fructan containing foods again. Thus, this problem might be related to some sort of fructose malabsorption, or even FODMAP, which would include other types of carbohydrates as well (fortunately not my case looks like). Fructose is mainly in fruits (in my case apple is the worst), but also in other foods like onions. Garlic also seem to be bad for me.

Fructans are found in wheat, and other cereals like oats or barley, so you might want to restrict them together with fruit, onion and garlic and see how it goes. it seems to help to use some table sugar with food in my case, since it contains glucose that seems to help absorbe fructose. Otherwise fructose is not well absorbed in the small intestine and gets to the large intestine where bacteria will use fructose and produce the foul smell that flatulence has. Sulphur foods like broccoli or eggs i can eat in moderation, but i also get smelly flatulence with them if i indulge too much. To find all this out was a big relief for me because i could manage to control this problem, but it also disappointed me because i wanted to stop eating animal foods, eat tons of vegetables, fruit, whole grains and cereals. Given how much this limits my repertoire of food, i eat more like an omnivore. I think this condition is not genetic (unless it is fructose intolerance instead of fructose malabsorption). In my case, at least in part, it seems to be due to eating poorly in the past ( including lots of processed foods). i also have the feeling that the animal food was a major cause, perhaps by promoting/delivering the type of gut flora that today gives me this problem. I say this because after some time trying to follow a somewhat tailored vegan diet (no apples or pears, nor onions) the symptoms seemed to go down very significantly, even those coming from wheat, but not from oats. Maybe if i had continued with this way of eating (did for a bit longer than a year) and a bit more strict when it came to avoid animal foods, the symptoms would have disappeared completely.

I hope my input was somehow helpful and that you manage to solve your situation sooner than later. Good luck!

• Posted

Google FODMAP diet. It will change your life with IBS and explain why certain foods trigger that kind of gas. It changed my life.
  • Posted

You could have Celiac's disease. It is a condition where you can not eat any Gluten. Which includes wheat, barley and rye. It actually alters your intestines when you eat these items. My daughter suffered from terrible gas and if she got a stomach virus she could not recover because I would feed her crackers or toast which made the problem worse. Try going gluten free, you could be tested through an endoscopy.
  • Posted

Taking digestive enzymes removes bloating that is caused by gasses. Be sure the supplement contains protease, cellulase, amylase, and lipase at minimum.

Also, start taking large doses of probiotic containing acidophilus and other strains as well.

You may also want to try monolaurun just in case you have some problematic gut bacteria. Monolaurun kills bacteria. Incorporating coconut oil, which contain monolaurun, is also a good idea.

• Posted

Try giving up dairy and start taking probiotics. It changed my life. The GP didn't even suggest it could be a food intolerance. They're useless. Make sure you read the labels on absolutley everything you eat and avoid anything that contains whey too (and Ghee -in your currries probably), which are derived from dairy.
  • Posted

Hi Jenny!  Sorry you have had this issue.  I have had it as well and it's so embarrassing for me as I work full time.  I am passing gas about 40 times a day and it's awful.  I am wondering if you are or have been dieting as I have.  I have been on a high protein VERY low fat diet for 3 months - I got so tired of the gas that I started tracking what it is I eat  and if gas is worse or better after certain meals (salad....spinach....meats....more or less water each day, etc).  I have found that if I have very little to eat one day and drink lots of water and then a day or two later eat a hearty  meal that the following day is so much worse.  I have tried Beano, charcoal and about every other thing on the market.  My colonoscopy was clear and I am in menopause, which does not help matters.   

I am wondering how you are doing now????

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.