Smoking can cause lung cancer

Posted , 4 users are following.

My names is Brenda, from London. I am in college and have been asked to do a research project and I chose the topic 'Smoking can cause lung cancer'. All members taking part will be anonymised and only shared with my tutor. Thanks

How has smoking impacted on carrying out normal activities?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

for me smoking works around what I do, I plan on how I can get out for a cig. Ends up being I am much less productive due to the breaks and lack of energy.

I am now on Champix and that is one of the reasons. another is over time I have now been dealing with alergies and sinus issues. I blame most of it to smoking 

Hope this helps a bit 

• Posted

Helps a lot. Thank you so much.

Do you experience any of the symptoms such as coughing, weightloss?

Have you had chest pain recently linked to smoking?

Thanks

• Posted

I wanted to add another problem with my brother who was a heavy smoker for years. He has now quit and waiting for a double lung transplant, He has been diagnosed with copd, His lungs have streached almost 3 times in length, can hardly walk up 3 steps with out gasping for air has a machine to help him breath and a 2 year waiting list for the transplant
    • Posted

coughing yes, weight loss I wish lol, no chest pains
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about your Brother. 

How do you manage your symtoms?

• Posted

Hi Sue, what category does your age fall into?

18-25   26-35   36-45   46+

• Posted

I am 55 I find there isnt any way to manage symtoms I have tried alergy meds and cough meds... I think the only way to take care of it is quit smoking smile
  • Posted

Indeed, quitting smoking will feel much better. I have never smoked and I am 20 

What else would you like to tell us?

• Posted

Smoking has to be taken into account in whatever I am doing/ wherever I am going.

I spend a great deal more money on products to hide the smell, such as perfume, chewing gum, body sprays for my clothes. I find that it breaks up my day when I am at work - cigarette in the morning, at lunchtime, and in the afternoon

• Posted

I've been smoking for a few years and it effect me a little. I don't smoke where ever I like, I'll make sure I don't smoke around non smokers as why should they inhale it. So it's not very productive, also you also thinking about when should I have my next cig. I also spend a lot on money on deodrant, gum and aftershave and spary a lot to try to cover up the smell. I've tried multiple times to quit in the past with different methods, it didn't work. It wasn't until my nan got lung cancer and begged me to stop that me and her quit with e-cigs. I've not had one cig for 8 days. The craving may never be gone permantly but I don't want to ever smoke again.
    • Posted

Good that you are considerate of people when smoking..you are doing well so far and u will hopefully quit. covering up the smell is so much expense as well.
  • Posted

Hi, I am 36-45, female and have been a smoker (12-16/day) for 26yrs. I would say smoking doesn't impact on normal activities as I have smoked since my mid teens and am a creature of routine and most of my cigs are part of this routine - get up coffee & cig, on the way to work, break time, lunch time, on the way home, after meals, walking in the park, etc.  I do not buy extra products to mask the smell as they are a waste and do not work as well as people think they do! I have tried to quite a couple of times: Gum-vile, Patches-weirdest hallucinatory dreams ever! E-cigs-sounds weird but tended to 'smoke' more as they were allowed in my office, used them in the car as well as more in my home and the downside is the battery can just die/run out on you without warning then panic sets in because at least you know when you are running low with tobacco.  The biggest impact and it also can be a source of verbal conflict is that I do think if non-smokers come into an area where people are smoking the onus is on them to remove themselves rather than start to complain if they don't like it! Summer is rife with non-smokers migrating to the outside where we can be found ALL YEAR - bars, tea rooms & cafes especially (and with their children) and not only try to take these designated smoking areas over but cannot believe our audacity if we do not comply with their requests to not smoke around them!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.