Smoothie

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone, as a 60 year old man who has always been extremely fit I was really knocked back when the doctor told me I had high blood pressure. I scoured the internet for quick fixes of which there really aren't. Having done that I looked for the foods "to lower your bp" So......I took 1 avacado (which I don't really like), 1 beetroot, 1 banana, 1 cup of fresh orange, 2 cups of almond milk (easier to get than I had imagined) and 1 cup of diced pineapple....oh and 5 sweeteners melted in a little boiling water (bit of a sweet tooth). I put all this lot in a smoothie maker and pressed the button. Now I know this sounds pretty disgusting but believe me it's actually quite nice. 1 small mug of this a day is enough.I've changed to almond milk instead of semi-skimmed and eat salmon 3 times a week. With a more sensible diet and 2 dog walks a day instead of 1 it's now going down again. Definitely woth a try folks. Hope this helps someone.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well done  so how high was your blood pressure when you were diagnosed,  it does come as a shock initially but life stlye changes can reduce it.. keep up the good work
    • Posted

Hi Helen,

Started at 180 over 90 and is down to 160 over 84 average. Going down slowly but not bad for only a couple of weeks.

• Posted

What were your readings then and now?
    • Posted

180 over 90 and is now 160 over 84 averaged over 2 days.
  • Posted

Don't worry too much...don't forget BP years ago was considered normal at 140/80..now the powers that be want it to be 130/70.

If mine goes too low I have passed out.

• Posted

If you are anything like me...you get White Coat Syndrome...where it goes up as soon as the Doctor takes it.
    • Posted

You're absolutely right. I have been using a monitor given to me by the practice nurse to keep a check on my bp for a few days. It is definitely lower at home than in the surgery. I will be happy when I get a normal bp averaging over a week.

• Posted

I was at first but i'm more at ease now it's come down a bit.
    • Posted

That's the way, I didn't realise until Doc told me that Ibprufen can put BP up.  

I am a bit suspicious about all these tests the Docs do...don't forget they get paid for shoving you on BP tablets.  Follow the Money lol .

I question everything now...was told I had a 15% chance of having an Episode...so I said you are telling me that I have an 85% chance of not having one !! No reply.  

• Posted

My GP is reluctant to prescribe ibuprofen because of my history of ulcers.

He did on Monday for a couple of problems I'm having and yesterday morning my BP was 211/84. I didn't take any yesterday and this morning my BP was a more reasonable 164/76 

• Posted

Thanks Bob. I will try this but not so sure about the beetroot (yuk)
    • Posted

Hi, Sorry Chrissy but the beetroot is one of the main things, definitely don't miss it out. Honestly with the othr stuff it tastes ok, you can't really taste the beetroot. Try it once and see before you dismiss it.
    • Posted

I can't see the beetroot posting but it is beetroot juice that you are supposed to take. Personally I found it so disgusting that I did not finish the carton.

The BBC programme Trust Me I'm a Doctor said beetroot juice, raw celery and garlic plus almonds bring BP down by a few degrees. 

• Posted

Hi Derek, try this:

1avacado (which I don't really like), 1 sliced beetroot, 1 sliced banana, 1 cup of fresh orange juice, 2 cups of almond milk (easier to get than I had imagined) and 1 cup of diced pineapple....oh and 5 sweeteners melted in a little boiling water (bit of a sweet tooth). I put all this lot in a smoothie maker and pressed the button. Now I know this sounds pretty disgusting but believe me it's actually quite nice. 1 small mug of this a day is enough. I've also changed from semi skimmed milk to almond milk. 

• Posted

beetroot juice, raw celery and garlic plus almonds bring BP down by a few degrees. ........

Imagine what your breath would smell like after that haha..... dunno about the bp it would certainly reduce yr sex life hahaha

• Posted

I'll stick with eating my daily banana and orange thank you:-)

I have never like beetroot.

• Posted

I'll wait for Mrs O coming to this converstaion to tell you of the benefits of eating garlic at bedtime:-)

I once had a doctor who told told me that if I ate garlic every day I would not have my digestive problems nor he added any close friends. I do take supposed odour free garlic capsules but the real thing is what they say you should take.

• Posted

Now that would be telling, Derek!wink  Even the following morning, hubby has been known to pull a face at the garlic odour!  Apparently, chewing a bit of parsley is supposed to help remove the odour.  Not sure about that though as many years ago I walked into one of the offices where I worked and immediately couldn't help commenting on the whiff of garlic.  One of the chaps said he was surprised as he'd been eating parsley to counteract the smell.  It turned out that both chaps in the room had been at the garlic the night before, so a double whammy odour!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.