Smoothie

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone, as a 60 year old man who has always been extremely fit I was really knocked back when the doctor told me I had high blood pressure. I scoured the internet for quick fixes of which there really aren't. Having done that I looked for the foods "to lower your bp" So......I took 1 avacado (which I don't really like), 1 beetroot, 1 banana, 1 cup of fresh orange, 2 cups of almond milk (easier to get than I had imagined) and 1 cup of diced pineapple....oh and 5 sweeteners melted in a little boiling water (bit of a sweet tooth). I put all this lot in a smoothie maker and pressed the button. Now I know this sounds pretty disgusting but believe me it's actually quite nice. 1 small mug of this a day is enough.I've changed to almond milk instead of semi-skimmed and eat salmon 3 times a week. With a more sensible diet and 2 dog walks a day instead of 1 it's now going down again. Definitely woth a try folks. Hope this helps someone.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Have had my husband in hospital for over 2 weeks and was interested to hear the nurse who was forever taking patients' BP say that they don't get alarmed unless it goes over 180 systolic. As the husband's BP was always low, mostly it hovered around 100/59, but I saw it at 87/57 on at least one occasion, I did ask if we could pool our 2 readings together and do an average !!! Mine has shot through the roof with all the stress and as he is now home I'd like to think it might go back to normal again.
    • Posted

I love that nurses remark!

Perhaps you and your other half could merge your blood if you are the same group.

• Posted

thatsgreat to hear Jane the 180 reading I mean so your husband does not  suffer white coat readings  I wish you and him all the best of luck has your bp come down abit
  • Posted

Bob, made that concoction for the first time yesterday......and loved it.  Definitely sweet enough for me, but I guess the sweetness could depend on the sweetness of the fruit used at any one time.  I thought that the banana came out on top in the taste.  Haven't got an actual smoothie maker so at first I used a machine from the back of a cupboard that I had been given some years ago - lost the instruction book but believe it is a juice extractor.  That proved a bit useless and to be honest I couldn't be bothered with having to wash so many parts and put it all back together, so I transferred the ingredients into my liquidiser which worked a treat.  What smoothie maker do you use?  I don't intend buying one unless it isn't time-consuming cleaning-wise.

Where did you find this recipe, Bob?

I guess it is the high potassium in most of the ingredients used that could reduce high BP.  Still haven't taken my readings at home after my scary 'high' at the gym on Wednesday. I have lost a few pounds of my Christmas period weight though, so hopefully that, together with the juice, will help, plus of course relaxing more after all the recent exciting events and surprises in the last few weeks.    

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.