Snap?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi guys. I am 3 weeks post TKR tomorrow. Started on the bike 3 days ago and can't get beyond 90 degrees. I have this image of my knee snapping! Today the pain is bad and swelling so tight. Am i being ridiculous? Xx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

that is very early to be able to do at 3 weeks dont rush it when swelling is gone it will move better

• Posted

90 degrees is fine for 3 weeks. I was no more than that (perhaps less) at that point and it was a struggle to bend it due to tightness and swelling. Now 7 weeks post op I'm more than 120.

Don't push it beyond discomfort with exercise - if you feel real pain, don't do it!

I was (and still am) able to achieve a better bend when I have plenty of pain relief on board and after a period of rest/ elevation/ ice so swelling is at a minimum. If it's swollen, it won't bend!

If you are using a stationary bike, try raising the seat so you haven't got to bend so much. That's what I did. And don't overdo it - a few minutes at first is plenty. I totally overdid it on the bike around the 5 week mark (I did 30 mins) and I paid for it the next day - it was so achy and swollen I couldn't do anything!

3 weeks is really early days - good luck!

• Posted

invest in a Breg ice machine look it up on Amazon or Ebay works well i ice 4 times a day helps with the swelling and tightness my bend now is over 115 degrees my problem is i lost alot of weight especially in my legs but physical therapy is helping alot good luck prayers out to you

• Posted

Not at all. People respond in many different ways to this surgery. Browse the forum and become enlightened !

• Posted

This one is simple...

"The Boggart-Banishing Spell (Riddikulus) is a charm that is used to defeat a Boggart. It causes the creature to assume a form that is humorous to the caster, along with a whip-crack noise, thereby taking away the Boggart's ability to terrorize."

Get your wand out and use the spell. Then laugh. Nothing is going to "snap".

Three weeks is soooooo early. It's when reality collides with your expectations. This is typically a year-long recovery and the first 90 days (getting your ROM back) is the worst part. Get rid of ALL your expectations...they screw with your head. Stay on your med schedule, keep working and have patience. The bike is only one exercise; your PT will show you more. Here are a few to use at home...

ROM Work

And post this on your fridge...

Reality

• Posted

no I'm 3 weeks as well I've had a patella resurfacing and I'm on bloody agony with only a 50 degree bend side my exercises but by the morning my knee is stiff and sore and feels warm to touch to be honest wishing I'd never had it done

• Posted

Not ridiculous at all..... it takes forever for some of us toheal from this devilish surgery. wish I had NEVER had it done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.