So afraid because I feel like my body is vibrating constantly. Can it really just be snxiety?

Posted , 20 users are following.

I have had bouts of anxiety and depression (they feed into ones other of course) for much of my life, and stopped drinking alcohol a year ago because I was drinking too much and that was becoming more of a problem than the other problems. I proudly came off citalopram 6 months ago, and have so many reasons NOT to be anxious or depressed, you could say that my life has never been more stable than it is now.

About 2 weeks ago I started feeling ill again, indescribably tired, tearful, scared, feelings of doom, feeling that I'm a terrible mother, useless at my job, not a good partner, struggling to do the smallest tasks - they feel like massive jobs etc etc. I recognise that these might mean I'm depressed, but can't understand why - all the bad stuff I had in my life has gone. What I'm really asking for advice with is that I feel like my body is constantly vibrating, all over and all the time. I sit there almost listening to my body - it is so frightening and sends me into a panic attack. Accompanying this are aches and pains in every limb, really sore arms and fingers, so bad I can cry from it. I wonder if I'm causing these aches by sitting so tensely and trapping nerve signals down my arms? I've googled every neurological disease known to man, and have self-diagnosed MS, motor-neurone, cancer, brain tumours and more. I dare to go to my GP incase he tells me I have got one of these illnesses and couldn't go along anyway as he'd think I was crazy when I list a dozen random complaints. I'd just sound like a hypochondriac.

Please, can anyone put my mind at ease by telling me that the vibrating and aches aren't a life threatening illness but can be caused by anxiety? I'd still feel dreadful but it would help me to calm down. I feel so alone and scared at the moment, spend hours and hours sitting in fear, tears rolling down my cheeks for nothing. I have to keep going for my 3 kids and responsible job but feel like running away and giving in to it all. I feel as if I could crack at any moment and that I'm hanging onto life by my fingertips. Could my depression be back and about this cause trembling and several other physical complaints? Sorry to go on. Thank you.

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi just wanted to see if you are feeling any better yet ? The thing is with my attacks is that some times it will hit me and I'll have the problem every day many times a day then I'll find something that I think will fix it and I'll be fine for weeks then bam .then I feel so bad because I start thinking that this is back again and will never leave and it must be something else . Iv had pains so bad in random parts of my body that iv had to lay down on the floor right in front of people and just lay there and scream. As for your vibrating happens all the time some times by itself or with other things like numb body parts twiching And about the whole rest of the list of things. If find that this stuff happens when I think about stuff to much or don't keep my mind busy. Like if I go to work and just work really hard for 18-20 hr then go home and sleep .which I have sleeping problems so 4-5 hrs is alot to me then go right back to work so I have no time to think this happens less . Hope you feel better and hopefully something helped please let me know if anything changes or if you start feeling better. Sorry about the poor spelling.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply and kind words. It all sounds very familiar, and you're right that keeping busy helps. I can relate to your description of this so well! Are you on any medication? I wsh you well in your battles, and thanks again for your reassuring words x
  • Posted

One of the most obvious symptoms of my anxiety is feeling like I'm permanently plugged into an electric socket – buzzing/skin crawling all over. That sounds like what you're experiencing? I do have aches and pains all over but then I'm 70 years old so I suppose that's inevitable. To deal with the buzzing I try and stay active – gardening, walking, working, housework – literally stay on the move. That sort of uses up the adrenaline which causes the buzzing. But it's very tiring and I would so like to be able to sit still and read a book from time to time!
    • Posted

Thank you so much for replying. Can't imagine ever seeing 70 the way my body and mood feels today!!! Do you take any medicines? I wish you well in your condition, and thank you again. It means a lot that you've replied and confirmed what might at least be not such scary prospects as what my fears are telling me at the moment. Kind regards xx
    • Posted

At the moment I'm taking sertraline which is an anti-depressant/anti-anxiety medication. It makes a difference to the depression (not the anxiety) but best of all it seems to help me sleep properly which is great. I also usually have a wonderful counsellor to talk to, I see her every fortnight (I do pay so that's all I can afford) and that helps me enormously, I don't feel like a pressure-cooker that's about to go off bang! At the moment I'm seeing a therapist on the NHS instead, but she's trying something called ACT (Action and Commitment Therapy) which is worse than useless as far as I'm concerned... but it's free! and I didn't feel I could turn it down. Soon I will go back to my usual counsellor.

The best of luck; and try and see your physical symptoms as a nuisance rather than a threat. Not easy, I know! Be kind to yourself.

• Posted

I have the vibrating feeling too, I'm not sure if it's classed as body temours, which is an anxiety symptom. I find myself watching tele and I'm holding onto myself so tight like I put my arms around my sides and hold myself it's weird but I don't realise I'm doing it. I get the vibrating when I've been waking up from sleep, it scared me the first time but it is part of anxiety just try and relax, and remember you've got through anxiety and depression before you can do it again act now so it doesn't get so bad! Even if you have to go on meds again think of your kids smile good luck try not to worry
    • Posted

Body tremors sorry**
    • Posted

So kind of you to reply, helps me to know it might 'just' be anxiety and not that I'm suffering from some incurable disease. Haha, we are in a way but not life threatening in that sense. Again thank you, and I wish you all the best in your struggle xx
    • Posted

If it helps go to the doctors and say you have this weird vibrating feeling and don't hold back tell him how you have been feeling mood wise lately, I can almost be certain that he will say your stressed again. Anxiety is tough because it comes with all different symptoms, I was suffering bad in 2011 feeling like I couldn't breathe now it's come back with mad heart palpitations. It's horrible but once you've seen your doctor you can start to not worry about it smile x
  • Posted

I'm not on any meds funny thing is that some Dr that likes to mix pills caused all of this due to missed diagnosis See I had vertigo and I thought it was a panic attack so they gave me a bunch of pillsand way too many pills that reacted with some other ones that I had a bad reaction to Them long story short I ended up with a really bad anxiety and all these things now because of it and I'm super scared to take like anything anymore
  • Posted

Hi, Sara. Have you looked into adrenal dysfunction or cortisol level imbalance? I have a pituitary adenoma (microtumor in my brain) that throws off all of my hormone levels, and I wake up most mornings feeling like a hive of bees that someone hit with a baseball bat. I don't have any aches or pains that accompany the sensation, but no anxiety medication (benzo- or otherwise) will touch it. I do occasionally use a beta blocker to lower my heart rate and respiration when it gets out of hand...perhaps your GP would consider these viable for you? It doesn't do much for the sensations, but it does help to keep it from spiraling into an all-out panic attack.

You also may ask your doctor to test your cortisol stim levels, as well as your 24 hour cortisol and creatinine levels. If these are out of balance, it can cause a runaway chain reaction that affects other adrenocorticoids and pituitary hormones. I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you find some of this helpful. Cheers!

Andrew W. Scott, CMA (AAMA)

• Posted

So sorry!

😯

Yes I think it's anxiety GAD ! General anxiety disorder!

I have it too and CANNOT get a grip in it!

Its killing my life!

• Posted

I have body vibrations too. Started about two years ago. I am not aware of anything that I am taking OTC (multivitamins and supplements - I recently stopped eating meat and dairy). I am a trauma nurse and travel for work. I will admit since I am single, without family, I am stressed if that will ever happen. 

But the vibrations initially had me thinking I was hypoglycemic; but my symptoms still exist after treating it. I can't remember what I was going through the first time I had the vibrations but of course I believed I had some disease process that was going to kill me.  Even with sensible and sound education, you can still self diagnose and cause even more stress.

I decided a while back that I did not want to take any medications for depression; I am going to see a therapist to sort things out, but for the most part, this vibration thing is the main issue. Second main issue, I AM NOT SLEEPING. For two months +, I have probably had 1-3 hours of sleep; and that is not every night. Some nights I don't sleep at all. Thought it was menopause, but my cycle is still present; it also lasted for one month too. 

I will be seeing a doctor soon, but want to learn if the body vibrations were common. I will say that I was taking extra iron for my cycle and when I stopped due to possible toxicity, the vibrations were not as severe.

I am at a loss with the vibrations in my body. It is another reason why I do not eat meat which is laden with antibiotics, hormones and who knows what else. I had no idea that dairy was so bad for the body too. They allow pus (mucous) in milk; it is legal to sell it that way. So who know what type of harmful things we place in our body because we trust the food industry.  

I am looking to remove chemicals from my body and move towards a more holistic way of living. But if there is a pill that helps with the vibrations, believe me, I will be at the pharmacy to get it!

• Posted

Yes. This world is pretty dumb already. Every organ, every body sytem can become sick. But for whatever reason it has become unwritten the nervous system and or brain can not thats nuts. Really? Im starting to wonder if anxiety disorders are some weird auto immune thing. Many have both too at some point in their lives, but you know im older and have lived having strange things and maybe thats why the symptoms mimic other auto immune stuff too. One day maybe they will figure it iut. They dint even know how to cure any auto immune stuff anyway..its all maintenance. We have all placed way too much hooe and faith into the doctor, i have decieded to place mine into higher  source at this point. Id love science to be more intelligent but they are just people too i guess. 
  • Posted

I got my first buzzing in my chest last year. In fact I'm buzzing as I type now. My first experience was whilst I was dreaming. I'm a skateboarder and in my dream I was getting incredibly good air off which felt super real enough that I did t know I was dreaming. I was so excited and the result was this buzzing in my chest when I woke up. I've also practiced meditation for over 17 years and get the same feeling through the different energy points in my body when I begin to feel the energy flow there. Naturally I started to experiment with this buzzing and my meditation and found that I could turn the vibrations on in any of my chakra points in my body with little focus during my meditation. My daily meditation now consists of focusing on each chakra until the vibtations start buzzing I start at my feet and work my way up my body. So far I can get all chakras from my base to my 3rd eye buzzing at will as I let the energy build in each chakra. Score moving to the next. I can get the vibes in my throat, in my sacral, in my chest, back and all the way into some of the smaller chakras like my hands and feet. The only reason I wasn't afraid when my vibrations turned on, is that I already new the sensation from my meditation practice. I used to do a guided mediation about 10 years ago that taught this technique of feeling the energy flow through your feet. I just never knew that you could feel the energy through all the body's energy centres; I didn't even know the body had these energy centres. These energy centres extend beyond the physical walls of your body and mix with the energy of the people and environment in your proximity. The word chakra means wheel, and that what you can feel is that energy wheel as it speeds up and vibrates. During meditation my chakras are often activated to the point you can actually feel them buzzing through my skin (well my heart chakra anyway) But my chakras are also daily activated in either in a social settings that excite one of my energy centres or if I'm super focused at work, and getting in the energy flow. It's great fun to have fun with and see what your stimuli you react too. I like to get caught in the moment with it and see how far I can take it. Generally this leads to some pretty exciting g connections with people. It's actually not to dissimilar to the vibrating in your sacral shakra that people experience at the climax of intimacy, except the energy is vibrating from another energy point. Chakras are connected to different emotions and states of mind so vibrating in your crotch maybe your root or sacral energy getting excited which is you're security and sexual energy. Whilst vibration in your stomach is more connected to your core power, heart for love, throats for communication and so on. The more vibration the more the energy is open and working.

• Posted

Wow Chris96208 I find this really interesting. Only thing with where I feel my vibrations is in crease of both my elbows. So I dont know what Chakra point that is related to since its not one of the 7 main Chakra points.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.