So confused- spotting after 11 months period free

Posted , 14 users are following.

I've had mild cramps (non painful) for 10 days and attribute it to IBS as I do tend to have an occasional bout of it. Now this morning I wipe and the paper is pinkish.  I thought I was done with periods as it's been 11 months since I've had anything and even that was practically nothing. Is this at all normal? Now I wonder if my cramping sensation in mid to lower right abdomen is IBS. When there are so many symptoms with menopause it's really hard to know and I'm not one to run to the Dr every time I have a little ache or pain. 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am just turned 54 and had what seemed like a period ~ 7days not particularly heavy 13 months after my last bleed, then again last week after 6 weeks, still bleeding at 7 days.  Had a normal MRI  8 months ago due to monitoring fibroids and where they could see the lining it was 2mm but in some parts they could not see it because of the fibroids.  I am scheduled for an ultrasound next week and although my logic says its most likely not a serious cause still stupid worried - has anyone had a similar experience -
  • Posted

Hi,

I've just gone 12 months without a period, no menopause symptoms what so ever over that time. I've been very lucky, however I have just started getting cramps and slight spotting. I'm very confused as thought I was done. Going to doctors tomorrow for a checkup just incase

• Posted

So glad I found this forum.  I am 52 and it has been ten and a half months since my last period.  It had been 8 months before that one.  A few days ago I started spotting.  It is mostly brown with occasional red mixed in.  It is very light - I am not even wearing a pad.  I am a bit bloated.  If  you can call what I am feeling cramps then they are VERY light.  It is just kind of throwing me for a loop because I thought I was done.  Today is the 3rd day of just spotting - nothing more.  Is this all normal as well?
    • Posted

Don't freak out.  If you have good insurance and it will make you feel better go to the doctor.  Just beware, some doctors like to do lots of unnecessary tests because they want to cover their butt.  I thought I was done 2 or 3 years ago.  I went almost a whole year without a period, then had two periods a month apart.  Now it has been over 12 months so I believe I am done but I won't count it until I make another year.  You just never know.  My Doctor said, actually 2 different gyn said as long as you are not bleeding continuously for a few weeks or more than don't worry about.  Your hormones are slowly petering out so it just takes time.  Relax, be calm and keep some sanitary napkins around just in case.  You will be done, when you are done.  Also losing weight, exercising more or any stressful change can cause another period or not.  You are done when you are done.

• Posted

Thank you.  Part of my concern is we do NOT have great insurance.  We have a really high deductible so until we pay 7K out of pocket not much is covered.  I am going to give it a few days and see if it ends like a normal period would. I know I am not passed that 12 month point. Close - but not quite there.   If it keeps going I will be making an appt.
  • Posted

Yes, this is normal, even at 12 months it's normal. No need to worry unless you're having heavy bleeding or it last more than 12 days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.