So depressed after last week being diagnosed with afib

Posted , 16 users are following.

Not sleeping ,medication not suiting me ,feel so low as diagnosis came as a shock.would really like some words of support.at the moment it all seems so much to take in.Anxiety is very high so i suppose thats not helping.Thank you April

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi April,  just to hope you are feeling a bit better,  I was diagnosed 2 years ago and you are right it is a shock to the system and hard to take in.  Try not to get anxious because it definitely doesn't help,  if you feel the medication doesn't suit you get on to your doctor right away don't let them fob you off, if your body is telling you things take note of it.   Where abouts are you from,  hope you have some family or friends near by,  I live in NZ in the South Island.  It takes a while to get the meds right but make sure you check  the pros and cons of any meds,  I didn't at first,  now I check all meds  on the computer first before I take them due to the fact that I had a really bad reaction to one of them.   Probably haven't cheered you up but don't worry too much it can handled.  Take care Moira.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your kind words , going to docs tomoro so hopefully can get a change of meds , bye the way i am from England in the county of Kent.Love April
  • Posted

Hi April. I got diagnosed 3 months ago, so not so far ahead of you. Yes, it's horrid to suddenly discover your heart isn't the reliable organ you thought it was. Very scary. But Moira is right, it's vital to get the drug that suits you - and there will be one! So get back to your doctor without delay and don't just suffer. I'm feeling much better now and keeping a diary of my life to help me sort out what helps and what hinders. For me, for example, if I get over tired or over stressed it'll send my heart into meltdown. So I avoid like the plague! Try to relax. I 'Ve started yoga which is of great help. You are far from alone and as my cardiologist said to me - I know it's horrible but it's not going to kill you and it's not damaging your heart. Chin up and thinking of you.

• Posted

Its so good to know there a others who have gone through the same thoughts and feelings as me .Am going to docs tomoro so am hopeful that meds can be sorted out.Thank you April x
  • Posted

Hi April, I understand just how you feel, I was diagnosed almost a year ago and was just terrified, it was such a shock and for a while I was too scared to go anywhere alone or be in the house alone, and could think of nothing else. It is frightening to know your heart is not working as it should and it takes a while to come to terms with that. I won't say I am happy about it now, but I am living my life normally and find that being stressed is the worst thing for me so I do try to avoid that which is difficult as I have an autisic son who is very difficult to cope with.

I take beta blockers and daily warfarin and get my bloods tested every month now. I hope you will begin to feel calmer April and that your medication gets sorted out for you. I read this site often which my doctor recommended, sometimes it helps and sometimes it is a bit scared, depending on what people say, but the one thing it does is make you realise that there are so many people who have the same thing.

Do take care, God Bless, Pauline

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words i think once the shock wears of i will be able to deal with it in a much better way, am of to docs tomoro so am hopeful of getting meds sorted , thank you and you take care April x
  • Posted

Hi April

I have had AF for over 20 years and it can be very debilitating, it took years before being diagnosed as I never know when it's going to appear.

I was on flecanide and metoprolol for 6 years but in 2011 I decided to have an ablation and apart from the odd miss beat it changed my life.

Unfortunately I had an unrelated heart attack and needed a stent and my AF returned so will be having another ablation this year.

I live an active life unless I have AF roughly once a month lasting 12 hours plus and seems to be brought on by fatigue.

Chin up if your offered an ablation take it sometimes out same day. I'm in UK.

• Posted

Footnote my unrelated heart attack happened 2015.
    • Posted

Many thanks for your message i will certainly look into this procedure. Am of to docs tomoro so will discuss then Kind regard April
  • Posted

You are not alone. It is a shock. I couldn't believe it either when I started to feel the racing. I started with Flutter 2 years ago. I stopped a lot of activity because it was so unpredictable and it took time to find the right treatment, but I did find the right meds and the right doctor. Keep close to family and friends as they will keep your spirits up. I am active again and you will be too. Your meds can be changed to those that work better for you, which will help calm the anxiety. You can manage the symptoms and you will feel good again.

• Posted

Hello April - a bit of a shock yes but these days we are so much better off than in the days of my father. Its not a killer condition but something you can live with. I had (note the past tense) Familial AF. There was no real treatment for my father but he lived to 80. I had odd episodes from the age of 33 or so but lived with it until 2013 I think it was, when I could no longer live the life I needed to or wanted to..I'm now 67 and retired. The last ablation has left me fit and well.

You will adapt and life will become normal again..Its a matter or getting your head round the AF and not letting the AF get  to you. Episodes can live you feeling debiltated or with lassitude so treat yourself gently in the aftermath. I always found putting myself to bed and sleeping was a good way to get rid of an episode by the way - has scientific explanation..

You dont say what type of AF you have. Paroxysmal or permanent? Probably the former? Everyone has different triggers to their episodes so take note of what you ate or did before each episode..Common triggers are often coffee and alcohol but for some chocolate. My brother always swore it was sodium mono.....Dam food additive  I can say it but not spell it! . For me it was physical exertion - pushing myself very hard.. like climbing up the highest peak in the Tramontana in Mallorca.....well I was overweight!

Hopefully you've begun to come to terms with things...keep coming back here. It really helps to let off steam and discuss things. Just watch out for the different types of treatment from different countries that people talk about. It can be confusing! 

Its essential not to panic  when an episode starts but rest, take your pills or whatever the doctor prescribes (and yes do say if something does not agree with you) Its worthwhile acquiring a BP monitor and discussing with your doc on interpreting the results.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your message its all very new to me so its good to hear from someone who has a long history of AF . Am of to docs tomoro so will get more information as to what AF i have ,Regards April
  • Posted

Hi April

I think we all know how you feel,but just hang on in there,things will get better,if the meds are not suiting you,please please go and see your GP they can be changed.

Also change your coffee and tea to decaf this will also help,and do not be afraid of going out,once you are on the correct Meds things will really improve.Anxiety and stress will also not help,just do some breathing excerises they will help to calm you,breath thro you nose for the count of 5 and out of your mouth for the count of 7.

Love and Blessings

Pauline

• Posted

Hi Pauline , Thank you for your message , am going to docs tomoro so hpoefully will sort out meds. I have suffered with anxiety for years and it does not help somthing like this so am trying to take it easy.yes i will change tea and coffee to decaf it all helps.love April
    • Posted

Hi April

I do so hope that all went well today when you saw your GP Med can be a bit hit and miss and first,please do try and enjoy your life as we only get one.

Love and Blessings

Pauline

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.