So depressed after last week being diagnosed with afib

Posted , 16 users are following.

Not sleeping ,medication not suiting me ,feel so low as diagnosis came as a shock.would really like some words of support.at the moment it all seems so much to take in.Anxiety is very high so i suppose thats not helping.Thank you April

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It is very upsetting. I don't feel mine yet I know it is there and wonder what will happen. Instill fear for traveling for me and being far away, Never used to think about these things before. Talk therapy helps a bit and exercise. Try to keep active to some extent and involved in things you like. also good people to talk with and enjoy life with, 

• Posted

April, I understand completely why u would be depressed over this.  Please remember that afib is very very common and treatable with 3-6 million people diagnosed with it.  There is an excellent YouTube video on it by UCSF which is about a half hour long that I suggest you watch. 

I would also also suggest you get all the information you can from all the different sources available. (This site right here is very informative and puts you in touch with others like yourself). 

Very important  is that you or a loved one must be an advocate for you 

Some of the side affects from the medications can be devastating. Learn as much as you can about this condition and get second Doctor opinions if u r not sure.  

Good luck.  You'll get this under control as time goes by.   Suzanne

• Posted

I was very interested about the youtube video and will be having a look at it in the next few days.i am going to see doc tomoro so hopefully get meds sorted out then.Thank you regards April
  • Posted

Hi April,

Theres not much more I can add that the others have not already mentioned, I was diagnosed about 15 months ago and like you it knocked me for six, I was given Bisoporol beta blocker and after about 4 months warfarin, I had a really bad reaction at first to the beta blocker but my GP had warned me it might happen and it would take about 1 month for my body to get used to it. as some of the others have said it will get better when you come to terms with it and find your triggers mine is infection and chocolate. if you are not happy with meds or you don't understand something always ask never think the clinicians know better we all know our own bodies and not everyone reacts the same to all meds.

I know it doesn't feel like it right now but it will get better, the support I got from this forum helped me immensley.

Take care

Linda.

• Posted

I have been diagnosed with afib now for 2 weeks , been on the medication for a week. I have been sick since the first day of being taken to the er for rapid heartbeat.I cannot sleep at all I'm having these attacks where I get hot and can't breath good, I am exhausted.scared all the time. Don't want to go any where.The doctors are no comfort at all.I feel my heart beat all the time...Hope this gets better

• Posted

Sherry, you need to find a cardiologist (not a GP) who who will Listen to you and ease your fears.   They are out there. Ask your friends and/or GP to recommend someone.  Or u can go on the Internet and search cardiologists. This is very important.  

Also. As others have stated this forum is excellent.  But you have to do your homework and the more informed you become about afib, the better to ease your fears.  Good luck. 

• Posted

Hello April, I was diagnosed with afib about two years ago and I understand what you feel. I was put on B blockers, which helped me a lot. I also started to read about Afib and to understand the causes of it. It looks like today's medicine treats mostly the symptoms rather than the cause of the disease. I found out that afib can be caused for instance by dehydration, sugar, chocolate, coffee, cheese and many more. In my case afib was caused mostly by anxiety and fatigue and I searched how I could address these issues first. Also, I tried to address them with natural remedies as I was not happy to be on medication for long time. I found tons on information online and I tried many, but what helped me the most were two things: motherwort tea and tryptophan supplements. Motherwort tea has been used for thousands of years as an antiarrhythmic and muscle relaxant. Tryptophan is the precursor of serotonin which fights anxiety. Now, I only use these two and I feel great. 

I hope this information is helpful for you too.                                                            I wish you all the best.                                                                                              

Nick

• Posted

Hi Nick I was reading the comments and read yours I would like to try the natural way first I'm in the uk can you get these remedies here in uk ? Regards Bea

• Posted

Hi Bea, It is important to identify the cause of the Afib, and to address it. It is recommended to see a naturopathic doctor first. My Afib was caused by stress and fatigue. Motherwort tea can be easily found. It grows in most European countries. Motherwort tea acts fast in about half an hour while hawthorn tea acts slowly and they say that it should be taken for months in order to act on Afib. I am sure you can find them in the UK. It is important to add that in Germany both motherwort and hawthorn have been approved to be used in conventional medicine.  I know that you need a prescription for tryptophan in the UK. Hopefully, this information is helpful. Regards, Nick
    • Posted

Thank you Nick that's very helpful I think the cause of mine is stress I'm going to address this now 😊 and look into the mother wart is it related to st Johns wart ? That is amazing for depression but I'm on thyroxine so Carnt take it now , kind regards Bea

• Posted

i don't know how one can identify the cause..its still happening and something has to be done I think..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.