so glad I found this group

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi everyone.  I just found this site by accident while I was looking around for what I should expect during my thr. Dr said I had so much arthritis in both my hips that they are moving bone on bone.  But it's only the left one that's giving me trouble right now, so it's going to be replace on the first Tuesday in October. Sometimes I can't wait for it to be over, sometimes I just want to run away.  Just reading some of the entries here has given me hope that things will be O.K.  I'm petrified!! There's so many things that can go wrong.  Going to ask my dr for something for my nerves so I can get through these next weeks before the operation.   So many of you have been so helpful in answering question that I had before I even asked them.  I can't thank you enough.  I hope to continue reading the entries here right up till I have the surgery.  Thank you all for being here.

3 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I can definitely relate.  We have to keep thinking positive and realize how many successful surgeries like these are done and they change peoples lives for the better.  I woke up this morning trying to keep the faith and think positive.  I'm tired of sticking my head in the sand and so very tired of being afraid of this.  There is a plan and we just have to follow it.  We are definitely not alone.  All the best to you keep in touch.

• Posted

Hi Patricia I was just the same petrified ,anxious

a right mess even thought to cancel.

Cryed that many tears I'm now 6 weeks post op

I had G/A with a leg block no pain after just uncomfortable all that pain before op gone.

Try not to worry I no I can say that now please believe me it's worth it love and hugs xxxx

• Posted

Hi patricia, I had one hip replaced eight years and was great afterwards with no problems, I have had knee replaced four years ago, bit more painful with very swollen leg.  I had another hip replaced last Wednesday Aug 17 now home on my own with carers to start coming tomorrow.  Can walk quite well, do all the exercises, no pain in actual joint but some pain in the wound.  I have never been afraid because when in pain one has no choice if you want to be able to walk again,  I have had mostly epidural, but unfortunately this time due to my age and osteoarthritis had to be knocked right out.  Only problem is swollen leg probably because I am not allowed to use recliner chair, good luck keep in touch cos you have a hippie pal.  By the way I am 73 Ann
    • Posted

I had a friend who had both a hip and a knee replacement.  Said she'd take a total hip replacement over a knee replacement anytime.  Pain, swelling, exercises very painful to complete.   Glad you're doing well, probably due to your great attitude.  That means alot.

• Posted

Hi, yes it's much easier and less painful to have hip replaced than a knee this is the first time I have faced an operation on my own as my housemate and best friend died suddenly last December, so hope you are not alone??  It's so frustrating as can't even reach to get things out of the fridge. carer has been to help me with shower put my washing into washer am going to have to ring a friend up to take it out.  Not much pain so far take care x

• Posted

I'm so sorry for the loss of your best friend.  I lost my husband a few years ago and this will be my first major event without him.  I do have a son who is very willing to help me.  He lives close to me.  But it's not the same .  My granddaughter is a great help to me even now,  but she's barely 12 years of age.  I miss my hubby even more at times like this.  Called the doctor this a.m. to ask about something for this anxiety.  Having to wait until October to get the surgery is playing heavy on my nerves.  I just want it done already.  He ordered some Xanax.  I''ll try some tonight.  I'm happy to hear that your pain isn't too bad.  That's always a concern.  I guess all  will return to normal in due time. Talk to you again soon. 

• Posted

I took quiet life herbal calming tablets find them very good non addictive as well.  I am going crazy wearing the dreaded compression socks as its so hot at the moment.  How lovely your son lives close, mine lives 80 miles away, I don't sadly have any grandchildren.  Try not to worry too much, which part of the country are you.?  Today is seven days post new hip and I can walk with one stick around the house, but obviously need two for outside.  Talk soon xx

• Posted

I'm going to check on those herbal calming tablets in the morning.  They would be better than taking drugs which can be addictive.

?The fact that you're walking around the house so well after just a week makes me feel much better.  I've always been independent and I do prefer to do things for myself.  After hearing of the progress that you and so many others are making so quickly, I feel that I can regain my independence fairly quickly.  I live in northeastern Pennsylvania in a little town called Throop, just outside of Scranton.  Our weather is just starting to cool a bit, after many weeks of very hot and humid days and equally warm nights with rain most every day.   Take care.

• Posted

Hi, glad you seem more positive, those tablets I bought from Holland and Barrett, they have a good web site you could get them posted. Lovely you live in the USA, I live in a small market town called Pocklington, it's not far fro the city of York.  Don't if we are allowed to give email addresses if you would like a hippy pen pal??

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

YORK as in England??!!  Oh my gosh, I'm so impressed.  It does explain why there were a few entries on this site that I didn't quite understand.  So nice to speak with someone so far away.   I'm going to check the website that you provided for the herbal medicine.  I couldn't find too much info when I entered it in the search engine.  Will let you know how it turns out.

?It's so very nice to be talking with you.  Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.