So mad and fed up!

Posted , 14 users are following.

Just had a lovely morning walking round town. No Vaginal discomfort, felt great.

Now this afternoon its a different story! Sore sore sore!! Don't want to do anything or go anywhere.

I've had this Vaginal Atrophy for over a year now. Yes I get some good days in between. But I don't know if that's not worse than having it bad all the time - because on good days I am hoping and praying that the problem is resolved, then it comes back again!

I saw the Doc recently as neither the GINEST or Vagifem worked for me. She told me there was nothing else to help!

So then I went to the chemist and she said I should see Doctor again, even though i'd just told her the doctor said there was nothing more they could do for me!!

I've got lubricants to use but they don't stop the problem coming as there is no hormones in them is there. Also they don't stop the wanting to wee all the time either.

So sick of this. I get up in a morning wondering if I am in for a good day or bad day. Was going to the Supermarket this afternoon but the VA completely put me off.

Thanks for listening

Shirley

2 likes, 346 replies

346 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi shirley. This is a terrible, chronic,  painfull condition.As you describe, walking does agitate it, probably irritating all the dry, unlubricated  areas around vagina, urethra and bladder.By far the urological symptoms were horrific, along with the burn ! I would be resiged to the sofa with painkillers and a hot water bottle before diagnosis. I have a fantastic Doctor at my local GUM clinic, who has been very supportive and tried lots of treatments. In my experience, unfortunately,  unless you are willing to accept HRT to replace the lost estrogen, this awfull condition will not resolve. I to used to have fluctuating symptoms, fine  and then mysery. I now have the vaginal ring estradiol inserted. I cannot emphasize enough how great this product has been for me, I am more or less symptom free and have my life back. I have done research and because the estrogen is delivered locally, it is far safer than pills or patches. The ring is very comfortable and I forget it is there, A fantastic product for this awfull condition. Best wishes I hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hello Brenda, you are the only person I have read about on this forum who has a vaginal ring, like myself. Glad to meet you. Had it for nearly two years. It helped with the VA and lots of thrush. Recently for the first time I have has pylonephritis, kidney infection. I took the ring out for extra comfort as I was feeling it ther during the kidney infection. It's been 3 weeks now and the instructions in the ring said the symptoms could reoccur after 3 weeks of having it out. So just waiting to see what happens.

also for the past year I have had an eye infection, red eyes which I can jot get rid of in spite of much intervention from the hospital. They suggest some weakness in my immune system but find nothing.  

I had this strong notion that the ring could be the cause... Don't know 

have you any thoughts on this. I am so fed up of infections and antibiotics. I am 64

• Posted

Hi Sus, nice to meet you to. I also have never met anyone whohas a ring.  My experience with this condition has only been related to urinary symptoms, mostly reccuring uti's and frequency before diagnosis along with the pain and burning.  I tried estrogen pessaries, which were fantastic when being used every day for 2 weeks, but as soon as doctor reduced to twice weekly symptoms returned very quickly and within 2 weeks I was suffering again.  Since using the ring I feel fantastic, I call it my miracle cure. I am perimenopausal, age 47, and I am very aware of the estrogen low in my cycle, and particularly aware then the ring is keeping my symptoms at bay, they lurk in the background if that makes sense.  I have had no side effects from the ring, and as it is local estrogen I am not surprised by that.  I dont think your other conditions are relative to the estrogen,simply because you have had estrogen in your body all  your adult life, and the ring is just a top up of depleting hormone.You  are very brave trying without the ring, good luck I wish you all the best. This condition is very misunderstood unless you are a sufferer, its great women are talking about this subject, and helping eachother through some awfull days. 

• Posted

Will,let you know if I put it back in. It does say on the instructions suggested use about 2 years. How long have you been using yours?
    • Posted

I've never heard of the ring you are talking about. Wonder why my dr did not mention or suggest it. I am in the U.S...
    • Posted

Hi Pat. The ring is excellent, No mess with creams, insert and forget!

Worth mentioning to your doctor, truly fantastic medication. I live

in the UK

• Posted

Brenda, What is the ring called and how long does it last? Is it easy to insert?
    • Posted

Hi Brenda ,great that works and you find its helped ,wish drs would just give this to women ,instead of letting them go from one thing to another from a chemist shop ,and we all know ,they're not long term answer. As for most it will take a few of the shelf remedies and then it's on a hope and a prayer it helps .How long did it take you to get this ring ? From when you first went to your Dr ? I intend to now ask about it .My daily anxiety is just awful ,wake up to it. Like its stored up adrenalin over night since I've been like this ,then whoosh when I wake ,always said it was Gyne anxiety bottom of it ,as day goes on it will subside .So maybe if it's helped you ,may just be my answer ,worth a try .I to live UK .
    • Posted

It's Estring. 7.5 microgram/24 hours vaginal delivery system.

It contains Estradiol hemihydrate. It's HRT that acts locally in the vagina.

• Posted

Thank you for the information Sus28....I am going to make note of that to discuss with my doctor at my next visit.
    • Posted

hi Pat, I have the ring and am in the UK.

The manufacturing holder is in Kent, England.

It appears to be the manufacturer is in Sweden

• Posted

Thanks Sus. I will take a screenshot shot of that for future reference. :-)
    • Posted

Hi Brenda, Yes a terrible, painful chronic condition. I have found urological symptoms awful too, especially with the burn and more so when I had my hip replacement last December! Not a good combination. Other hip to be replaced soon too. Did the painkillers and hit water bottle help? Glad to hear you have a fantastic doctor. I think you are right though, without HRT this problem will never resolve and like you, my symptoms fluctuate from day to day. I never know what sort of a day tomorrow will be. The Vaginal ring sounds fantastic. So glad you are more or less symptom free and have got your life back. I am going to try Ovestin Cream soon. Hopefully this is safer than pills or patches too. If it doesn't help, I will ask for the Vaginal ring. I would ask about it this week but I have already got the cream so I will try it out now I have got it.

I've had a good day today where VA is concerned but tomorrow could be the total opposite.

Thank you again for your message and info. Much appreciated. :-)

• Posted

I've been recently following this discussion and, needless to say, I'm in the same boat. I tried the vaginal ring and it was terrible for me. Made me feel like peeing all the time even more! I had to remove it after five days. I'm now on Vagifem, day 3. No real relief yet. I'm hoping. I also have good days that make me hopeful only to have my hopes shattered the next day or evening. Some nights I can't sleep because I have to get up and pee constantly. I've been so depressed. I have not had intercourse with my husband in over 3 months. I was on a compounded estrogen/progesterone cream that worked great for 5 months, and then it suddenly stopped working. And I do mean suddenly! I can't take the constant desire to pee anymore. 
    • Posted

The constant desire to pee all the time is awful isn't it DMRsmom. I can get about a day without it every week and once every blue moon I can get almost a week without it. But its there most of the time. Totally and utterly sick of it. Today I've wanted to pee all the time and of course when I get there, any urine is minimal. That winds me up too. I know that feeling of having my hopes shattered too. Had a bad night tonight with me being badly sore up inside my Vagina. Can't take it. Had enough. :-(
    • Posted

So sorry you are going through this.Have you been checked for an infection just to rule it out?Also i am thinking about vagifem does it hurt to put in.?.makes me nervous.
    • Posted

I've been checked for all kinds of infections, bacterial and yeast. Nothing. Vagifem doesn't hurt at all. Unlike the Estring, I can't feel aything inside of me with Vagifem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.