so many problems after rotator cuff repair :(

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello everyone!

This is my 5 months post of rotator cuff repair and the recovery is way below expectation. My ROM is around 90to 100 degree but shoulder hikes up and doesn't look good at all. I have had injection as well but it didn't help as much. I visit PT once in a week and he thinks it is getting better but that's only I feeel when I do exercise, stretches and visit PT

after that it goes back to stiff again and pain in the join, also struggle to raise my hand up. MY scapula wings so much whenever I raise my hand. Sometimes I have very bad lower back pain after exercise and the joint in the shoulder feels numb as well. I have appointment with Surgeon after 2 weeks so with PT. so many problems have occurred and I am so frustrated. I am a full time Chef and sporty person. My life has been very much useless after the surgery. Since recovery has not gone as expected, I am in depression 😭

Any suggestions and shared experience would be much appreciated!!!! Thank you !

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Superior migration?
  • Posted

I had surgery March 9. MRI showed a rotator cuff tendon tear. As he explored thru arthroscopic surgery, I also had a bicep tear. I ended up having rotator cuff repair, bicep tenodesis, distal claviculectomy & shaving of the ball / bone.

This has been nothing but a nightmare! After surgery a few weeks I started working my arm some & was doing good. I had a few accidents, auto reactions when I spilled over a few glasses of tea. I stopped my pain meds day 3. Relied on Tylenol & Ibuphrophen.

I didn't start PT until 3 mo out & everything swelled & hurt. My arm started twitching & jumping. Hard to breathe normally (full breath). Felt like my collar bone was elevated around my neck. Swelling pocket surrounded my neck.

My OS said "I don't know". I reached out to my uncles chiropractor. He broke up adhesions, adjusted my neck, ultra sound on my front shoulder, under arm & back around scapula. He taped me everywhere from origin to insertion. After 3 weeks all calmed down.

Now 3 weeks returned to my job with restrictions, swelling, pain & stiffness has begun again!

Does the shoulder / bicep go thru spurts of rage? No answers or help from my OS 4.5 mo post opp.

Has anyone experienced this? I'm a very active person & this has definitely depressed me & I have more questions than answers! I'm thinking get my OR records. Speak to an OS I had worked with & see if this is normal.

Pain from shoulder to bicep, elbow, top of forearm, wrist & use of fingers all are very discomforting.

• Posted

Hi Ronda,

So sorry to hear this has been such a bumpy journey. I am almost 6 months post rotator cuff repair and bicep tenodesis with sub acromial decompression. My OS also found the shredded bicep during surgery and I was not planning on that repair. I feel that the bicep repair has been the problem child. I didn't have the claviculectomy and I suspect that that would lead to inflammation increasing with use.

Yes, every time I started a new activity there was a flare up. when I removed the sling at 6 weeks I went through a period of having nerve pain and spasms in the bicep as well as elbow pain until I regained almost full ROM. The elbow pain is common and many people have pain into hand and fingers, likely due to inflammation and nerve irritation. 

I did feel significantly better at 4 months. I have also improved over the past 2 months with decrease in pain. There are some nights/mornings I wake up with soreness/achiness in the joint. 

I am just returning to work next week so will see how that goes. I have not returned sooner because I am a home health PT and need to be able to lift, move disabled people as needed. I still have some atrophy and weakness in the surgical side compared to other side which was my weaker side. I still use cold as needed and find that is my best friend. I also went outside of my HMO plan and paid for extra manual therapy which was helpful. It sounds like your chiropractor did some good things for you. 

They do say that for most orthopedic surgeries you can have pain, swelling and weakness for up to a year and that is just a guideline. Everyone is different. I hope you see bigger spurts of improvement and overall decrease in all the bad stuff soon.

Best of Luck!

• Posted

ugh...we've all been there or are there with your right now....  ARE YOU ICING??  If not, make icing a priority at least morning and evening.  Pack the shoulder and upper arm as best you can with ice.  I left it go for 40-60 minutes (or longer) each time I ice.  You can use cold soda cans (any 12 oz can) and drink it afterward.  Freeze water bottles and use them to ice.  The contour of the bottles and cans sit well where we need them!   Baggies of ice, frozen ice cups, reusable ice packs or cold compresses...  USE THEM all to help manage the pain and discomfort.

Recognize that you will survive and you will regain movement down the road.  This is temporary, yes it is.

Ask your PT if he can ease back a bit.  Can you PT blend more massage and passive rom for a week or so?  You WILL have to practice passive rom at home and a few exercises while you are at work on your break or lunch.  Yep, you will need to practice your pt at home at least once a day   These injuries and repairs take time every step of the way.  

You will make it!!  Slow and steady.  LOTS OF ICE!!!!

Take care and post again when you have time!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.