So scared, so lost, so unmotivated, my mind can't handle it all

Posted , 121 users are following.

I just don't even know where to begin with this really.  I just feel ultra lost in life and confused but most of all just terrified and I have long ago lost all motivation and any sense of hope or enjoyment in life.  I feel I have lost all direction and my life feels completely out of my control.  I am just existing and going along with whatever happens to me like a rag doll.  I feel helpless in life like a child who is scared and has lost its mother - just so terrified.  I am deeply embarrassed by this.  I feel no sense of self worth, my confidence and self esteem is at its lowest ever .... life has passed me by and almost all of this time has been as a pathetic and hopeless cas.  I have always been exceptionally sensitive and I always feel that I was not meant to be on this earth because somebody as weak as me just cannot survive here without self destructing or being destroyed by life's reality.  I feel deeply ashamed of myself and my anxiety and depression.  Completely pathetic and useless as a human being even though deep inside I also feel such a sense of sadness for myself like part of me still wants to reach deep and give me a big hug and save myself but I keep failing at this.  I imagine I would excel in another type of land or in another world where I am just able to be in peace and the way I am and be left alone.  I have already been through the days of finding small bursts of habits to keep me going - like playing computer games, or chatting online etc .... I have also been through under eating, over eating, binge eating, losing weight, gaining weight, not dressing, not washing, lying in bed - crying at the tiniest issues - worrying about worst case scenarios in life, and also feeling so completely  lost as to what to do with myself. I get scared in life to the point of paranoia.  I imagine the absolute worst will happen - getting into trouble, ending up in prison, ending up in a vulnerable situation, homeless, etc, etc, etc .... I find it really hard to trust myself, let alone other people because I feel I have no skills to cope in life.  I feel tense around others and only peaceful when I am all alone in solitude .... but this is also very lonely and isolating place to be.   I feel a source of guilt in terms of any relationship with my family - because they have not been able to help me - they have not been able to aid in my dysfunctional mind and circumstances.  I have felt trapped, hysterical and like a I am verging on psychotic at times - shouting, throwing things, anger, tears.  All this has already been and gone.  I have visited psychologists in the past as well as psychiatrists - but they have never diagnosed me with anything else besides general depression and anxiety.  And as I am particularly well able to articulate my feelings and problems lucidly and with intelligence then they do not realise the extent of my problem and the absolute unbearable sense of fears, paranoias, misery I feel inside I think.  It's as though I have never fallen into any 'categor'y. I think this is because I have quite a variety of psychological difficulties that all merge into each other sometimes and of course feed off one another. Because I have managed to hang on (to all outward appearances) to some kind of sanity, they do not see the real picture of the chaos in my mind and body.  I have suffered 3 strange 'episodes' in the last 15 years where I have lost sensation in my body and face and it has never returned.  This remained something of a mystery to doctors and I was eventually diagnosed with some kind of neuropathy or anxiety related bodily symptoms.  Physical manifestation of anxiety even though some of them argued my symptoms were not typical or fitting.  These reduced sensations have never resolved or returned and I now live with reduced and diminished sensation including not being able to sense pleasure sensations like massages or orgasms, pain.  I feel adverse to sex and always have - somehow I (sometimes) find it a bit dirty and repulsive and feel violated and I cannot live with how I feel because I feel like a freak to feel that way without any reason that I can recall.  I have no history of abuse that I can recall - just an anxious mother with some depression and negativity in her own thinking.  Apart from this I have just been scared since always and have never had the strength or courage to pull myself out and I am now at my worst point ever and have given up on life and am just existing.  I have tried within my very limitied mental means to pull myself out by attempting life changes in the past but have been crippled by my own anxieties and fears and these attempts have ultimately ended in the same patterns of failure.  I lack any sense of ability or life resources, no sense of strength and I am aimless in life - feeling as helpless as if I were a newborn.  I do not see the meaning or point in anything and feel it so diffiult to think of anything that would make me want to see a glimmer of light and really try again.  Been there, done that before.  Already too tired.   I feel like I want a parent figure to come guide me step by step and pull me out from this hole.  But that is just ridiculous and the more I think of how I should be able to manage my life, the more ashamed I feel of my bleak and fearful reality.  I now find myself in a very stressful situation in life currently.  And I arrived here through my own desperation and hysteria to escape my last situation and lack of seeing any other way out - an out of the frying pan into the fire situation.  I have tried in the past medication, cbt, citalopram medication ..... I am so sad that I have come to this point but I do not know how to get better or where to begin ..... so much seems to have happened inside my mind that I am genuinely afraid that I have gone quite mad (but am still managing to pretend to be sane) ... I cannot cope with the vast amount of emotions and their intense strength that I feel in terms of everything seeming so dark, desperate, scary, chaotic and my mind just can't process it all.  Particularly it just all feels a lot of thoughts for a tiny tiny mind to have.  I just thought I would write about it.  I have been through a lot of weird phases, living on baby food for a while, labelling the calories on everything, Obsessive tendencies to tidy everything to the extreme just to have an element of control in my life .... I have a problem with OCD where everything in my home has to be perfect and tidy and straight otherwise I feel very anxious and restless and as though things are dirty or that I have lost all control completely.  If I lose the ability to control even my home or food then I feel I will have absolutely nothing since the rest of my life is so far gone.  But the pressure this extreme thinking gives me is unbearable to live with and makes me tired and cry when I don't match up to my own pressure and standards.  I take ages to get ready every day on the days when I feel able to try and go out because I feel I have to put on a pretence of appearing respectable and 'ok' .... the reality is sometimes I cry, shout, like a toddler who can't handle adult life and who can't dress herself or manage her well-being and life.  Afraid.  Lost.  Unmotivated.  My mind wants it all to go blank.  I want peace.  Feel a complete loser in life.  Just want to float away quietly on a cloud or sleep and not wake up sometimes and just drift off into a haze where the last thing I think about is something uplifting and peaceful and far from the reality of this overwhelming life.  I feel guilty to myself and to the world for being this way.  The only way my stupid dreamy mind sometimes justifies it is to pretend I am a fairy from another world who was made perfectly but has come to an imperfect world and cannot hack it because it's too far from my own world.  And I imagine this particular thought in a sane way, not an insane way ... I realise I am not really this person but this is the best way I am able to get any comfort in how I feel in this life.

19 likes, 186 replies

186 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have never in my life been able to articulate what you just wrote , I've never in my life related to something like this I didn't know anyone was like me , I was crying reading this because I could feel what you were saying , I have no answers for you or wise words of wisdom but I wanted to thank you so much for writing this. I don't know why but it made me feel like I might belong here and that there are other people with brains that overheat and can't handle life. I am genuinely sorry you're going through this because I know EXACTLY how you feel and it's painful (mentally and physically ) to drag yourself through life like this . I hope for both of us that the chaos clears. -Emily

• Posted

Hello Emily,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to the message I posted on these boards what feels like so very long ago now!  I was so please and surprised to hear a reply after such a long time!  On a personal note, I am very touched that you were able to relate to the things I said so closely and I too find it really comforting and reassuring to realise that there is somebody else in the vast 'out there' who fees so similarly to the way I do!  I have to say that little has changed about the way I feel within myself and about life since writing what I wrote.  I feel hugely at odds with the world and life and find it wholly overwhelming.  I still feel as a gentle flower fairy and 'little girl' who is struggling to navigate through 'adult life' and 'grown up world' and I feel I have no idea what I am doing or where I am going - I pretty  much feel like a child having to play at being an adult but without any resilience or know-how.  This vulnerability within myself that I am so deeply aware of frightens me.  I think it is a source of shame for me as well.  I find I have to put on a front to save face - chronologially and in appearance, and even logically, people expect and see an adult young woman - and yet all I see about myself is what I FEEL about myself and what I FEEL inside - which is like a young person who is having to play a game which is levels ahead of what I feel able to  manage emotionally.  I keep thinking if I make mistakes or end up in 'hot water' in my life, it'll be because there is  essentially this child part of myself navigating the way - even though nobody will realise this!!!  It does scare me.  Even right now my circumstances in life are way beyond me.  I was always crippled with anxieties, insecurities and an ability to 'move forward' or accept change in my life - from very young.  So essentially I stayed stuck and the years passed by but I didn't gather together any know-how or resilience.  As you can imagine low self esteem and depression set in - a long with a huge dose of even greater fears and negativity!  And so it grew and grew.  And I have essentially become paralyzed by my own mind and everything has gotten to a point where it feels insurmountable.  I now feel deeply ashamed of my past and history so far and am always fearful of people finding out just how afraid and sheltered I have been (in a unhealthy anxious way!) .... you can say that I have tried my best in the past to do what I could (what felt within my limited capabilities ) to 'move myself' but sadly, I always seemd to fail or my emotional well-being has felt like a tidal wave of fears upset tears and anger engulfing me.  Too much to take on I suppose without having taken the necessary baby steps or usual developmental journey!  In recent years I have found myself in a massively ADULT and stressful situation in life - and quite frankly it's one which my inside 'little girl' jumped into in the hope of finding guidance and rescue - having reached a point of utter desperation.  Well, it's had its good points but it has certainly been a baptism of fire and one which I have had to largely 'zone out' from (and still am!) in order to try to protect my delicate brain from realising the pains, consequences, responsibilites and implications of what I have done!  I am still dealing with confusion, anxiety, fears, depression, feeling little inside and overwhelmed and angry and regretful to this day!!!  I can only hope that there is somebody up in the sky watching over me and taking care of my greater good - just as I hope there is somebody watching over you too - every day feels like a day I shouldn't be here but should be 'somewhere else' where it would feel more gentle and like 'home' and akin and in tune with my inner truth.  Sadly I feel like that place does not exist on this earth and hence is my deep deep profound sadness and pain.  I will always be happy to talk to you if you would ever like to get in touch - I do not check my email daily but I am happy to keep in touch.  I do hope that you are doing ok in your life just now - and if not, then please know that there is somebody 'out there' who is not 'OK' either and wishes to be in the fairy lands of her mind where wishes come true and hopes still live on and brightness fills her heart and soul.  My mind cannot comprehend it all either - much too much is this life!  But I hope one day we will both find peaceful feelings and contentment .... I am wishing you every peace and happiness.  Please take care xxxx

• Posted

I can relate to you so much. Id love to talk to you more for support. If you want message me back n maybe we can exchange emails or something.
    • Posted

Hi Clarice 

I read your first post witch made me emotional as I to can relate to what you have said but couldn’t put in to words how I was feeling or able to fully express myself the way you have. I know you posted quite some time ago hence why I’m writing this sitting in bed witch I have not let for the past week or so and wanted to ask how you are feeling now and if things got better for you so I have some hope. I’m glad I dont know if thats the right way to put it that I’m not the only one. I feel I carry a lot of guilt and pain from my past a lot of things have happened and i just can’t see a way out. I feel like I’m trapped and that this is going to be a forever thing. Don’t get me wrong there’s some days when I try to think postive and plan my life for the better but that doesn’t last long and the nagative voices and thoughts kick in. I have way more bad days then good. No one really understands what I go through and every day is a struggle. My friends and family don’t really understand and a lot of the time we’re I don’t want to get out of bed or do things I get called lazy and other names witch hurts the most as they just don’t understand. The only time I’m happy is when I have a drink. I just want to know if there’s hope and if there’s light at the end of the trunnel because every time I think about the future I just get these negative thoughts over and over. I just wish I was normal like my friends I some what envy them because i just want to live a normal life. Instead I abuse alchole self harm put myself in vulnerable situations I can’t live like this and don’t want to live like this I have no sex drive never had a relationship. Just feel lonely sad and stuck in a dark hole!. I feel like I’m going to be stuck feeling like this and have no one while everyone moves on with there life’s. Iv been feeling like this since I was 15 I’m now 23!. Sorry for the long message don’t have no one else to talk to. I do hope that you are feeling better since you posted x

• Posted

Sorry stupid spell check. I meant Claire*
    • Posted

Hi Mia. Im struggling for more than 2 months now and i can tell that ,Yes, it is gonna be fine. I don't have a job,i need to pay somehow my rent, I'm alone....but i don't care.I focus on my happiness nomather what. I have found a small 2 weeks old kitten without a mom. The past one week with her it was amazing.She mades my day every time when i look at her.Its hard because shes small and i have to feed her in every 2 3 houra,but I'm willing to do it cuz she makes me happy. smile so now im on to job hunting and change a couple of my old habits.Oh right, i started to run every day too and try to spend as much time as i can with my one only friend. smile Over all, Everything will be just fine.

• Posted

I feel many of your feelings so you are not alone. I use to be someone, I was crazy and funny but I got lost along the way. Talk to me, I am here.

• Posted

Hi I just read your post as I am sitting here crying alone...alot of what you went through (are you still feeling the same?) is what I am going through. I am starting to wonder why the hell I am even living. I am thinking about what meds I have on hand that I can take to end my sadness, but I'm too scared to leave my dogs. I tried anti D's, but they caused too many unconfortable side effects. I don't know what to do. How did you make out?

• Posted

Hi I just read your post as I am sitting here crying alone...alot of what you went through (are you still feeling the same?) is what I am going through. I am starting to wonder why the hell I am even living. I am thinking about what meds I have on hand that I can take to end my sadness, but I'm too scared to leave my dogs. I tried anti D's, but they caused too many unconfortable side effects. I don't know what to do. How did you make out?

• Posted

Hi Claire,

I am so glad you are able to express your feelings so clearly because I can hardly articulate my own. I am SO thankful that you exist, not that this is something to be happy about, but this is my attempt to connect with someone that is feeling what I'm feeling. I don't have really much advice of my own, I'm just glad I found this post since it gave me the opportunity to understand myself a little bit better. And best of all that I'm not alone. So THANK YOU.

• Posted

Hi. Claire I felt the same way, after some research I begin using magnesium about 500mg a day don't use oxide the absorption is poor, I had my vitamin d3 checked it was 23 it should be at least 50 so now I take 5000 to 10000 iu a day along with fish oil, but Niacin is the best after a couple of days my body started to relax im beginning to feel like my Ole self again.

Also eat foods high in magnesium exercise and get some sun

• Posted

I am very depressed and had no success withanti deps somwant to try magnesium. I am on cit d already.  Only problem is i am on warfarin and mag citrate is not allowable, what do,i do now?
  • Posted

Hello Claire,

please accept my hugs and wear them like a comfortable bath robe. Your words mirror my unbearably mentally ill life. Iam almost fifty and have sabotaged every bridge both personally and employment opportunity all due to what I know now is Bipolar 1. Like you different doctors espousing shear shenanigans until one of my breaks from reality drove me to the streets necause I was terrified I was being chased down to be killed. After weeks on street insane a policeman took me to a different hospital where I was properly diagnosed, given ECT and treatment. I am unable to work because my sickness is so severe. It is hard for me to be around others mentally ill because I am devestated and heartbroken about my reality. My two exsisting family members live thousands of miles away, the lonliness is unbearable and making friends in my mental health community is even more depressing. I try to engage with people who are not a part of the mental health community. A great many mental health patients are not med compliant & are addicts who are still using. No thanks, depressed as is I do not want that in my life.

What you expressed Claire I have felt or still struggle with. I had crappy doctors for years, plrase look outside your area to locate a different psychiatrist. Keep your appoinments so they can gather information to form an accurate diagnosis and treatment. Thank you so very much for sharing, your story has touched me.

• Posted

Thank you for writing this. This post described me so accurately. It is so terribly embarrassing at my age to feel this way. I have moved so many times thinking that another city or state could possibly be the change I need but I end up with the same feelings. I wanted medication to work because I don't want to feel like this but it never did. Lately I've started to obsess over the way and order I get ready for work. Feeling overwhelmed with dread if I don't do my routine exactly right, that something bad will happen. Like my brain is looking for one exact thing to make the reason for the way things are. Reading through some of the forums in the empath community boards have offered some understanding but it's still a minute by minute battle. I don't want to be here anymore, I don't belong here and I'm tired.

• Posted

I feel the exact same way!!! Mine started with extreme anxiety and then ended up as a crippling depression and if I don't do things a certain way like put things back exactly how I found them I feel like something bad is going to happen in my life. 

• Posted

Yup. Been there done that. Moves. Breakups. Divorces. Lost jobs. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.