So scared to start sertraline!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was prescribed 50mg of sertraline yesterday and stop my citalopram because it has stopped working I've felt so I'll for 3 months severe anxiety and panic attacks I've been crying and feel hopeless! I drank a bottle of vodka the other morning because I'm so fed up, I took 2 sleeping tablets and ended up in hospital. I am the lowest I have ever been! I don't think I could barely side effects of sertraline! I'm also on mirtazipine and lamotrigine. I was prescribed sertraline about 12 years ago and the next morning when I woke up in felt like I had taking ecstasy! My pupils were so big and my head was shaking and I was so out of it! So I stopped taking it....any advice on would be much appreciated, I can't remember how it is to feel my normal self! 😯

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I got prescribed these and took my first 50mg yesterday, I felt the exact same as you like I’d been on drugs, my pupils were huge also, it’s scaring me to take another one cause I’ve felt worse than I did before I started taking them. I rang my doctor today and said to take half the next pill. I’m still scared to continue the sertaline. 
    • Posted

Meant to say I rang my doctor today explained my side effects she said it’s normal rolleyes and to take half a pill. 
    • Posted

I found it was easier to take 25mg instead of the 50mg for a few days just to get use to it. Then started on the 50mg after 7 days, thought the side effects where not as bad.

Fluoxetine was hell on earth for three months, I was so scared of starting Sertraline but I have the say the side effects were not remotely the same as fluoxetine.

It's a massive trail and error with SSRI's sadly. Be strong

• Posted

I think I’m gonna take half my pill so yeah 25mg, just so scared I didn’t like how I felt yesterday
    • Posted

Yeah I’m thinking of taking half of one tonight so I sleep through the side effects
    • Posted

Yes that's why I'm taking it at night....I took these 12 years ago and woke up terrible! My pupils were like flying saucers! I think I'm going to take them about 8.30! Good luck with yours 😊

• Posted

I'm just petrified I won't be in control of myself...I'm already suffering my panic all day long due to my other medication that has stopped working!

• Posted

Yeah I’m gonna try at night, worth a try, and yeah it’s so embarrassing I feel like a druggy sad goodluck too!!
    • Posted

Yeah take at night so you sleep through the worst of side effects. It helps, but the first few days are tough. I barely slept, had huge pupils and a sensation like I had 12 coffee's in a row. Als had more panic attacks,, tremours, shakes and crying spells. It was grim but on day 5, half the symptoms eased dramatically. Just keep telling yourself it's the meds, not you.

Also should add I got zero mental side effects which is brilliant, just a new sense of calm. On fluoxetine I felt numb to everyone and anything and was completely a shell. It was not an experience I want to relive.

• Posted

Okay I will do! Thankyou for sharing your story! Will the drug feeling go soon? I’ve got a driving lesson in a week sad don’t wanna do it if I feel like I’m on drugs rolleyes
    • Posted

I'm just scared off having the biggest panic attack in the world! I'm already severely anxious and have been panicking for 2 months....I so want to feel better, all this panicking and anxiety is due to side effects of citalopram that has pooped out!

• Posted

Hi rosebud just a quick question how are you feeling now & when you take the sertraline how long did you notice after taking it the weird sided effects?

• Posted

Hellosmile I’m fine now, but I think that’s because I took my last pill 24 hours ago now and I’m gonna take my 2nd one tonight rather than the morning, so I was at work when I took my first one and I didn’t feel the weird effects, I just got shakey hands and then about 3 hours later I started to feel weird like I was going to faint, but never did, and then I felt like I was on drugs and got sweats and more shakey, it lasted until this morning x
    • Posted

It's very difficult to go through, I do empathise a lot. I was a mess before starting Sertraline. Not going to lie, it did make my anxiety worse for a week or two (as in to levels I have never experience!) But it passed fast. Has the doctor given you anything to cope with the initial side effects? I took Propranolol to calm the anxiety and an occasional diazepam when I had insomnia from it.

The therapeutic dose kicks in at 5 weeks ish, it's just getting past the week mark which is the hardest. You'll start telling at that point if you can see any improvement or not. It is the little things that made a big difference for me.

• Posted

I had awful mental side effects to flouxetine for first 2 weeks to a month, felt extremely scared and like I wasn't part of this world but it did pass, although on them everything's blocked out a bit to much it's like your in your own bubble.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.