So scared to start sertraline!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was prescribed 50mg of sertraline yesterday and stop my citalopram because it has stopped working I've felt so I'll for 3 months severe anxiety and panic attacks I've been crying and feel hopeless! I drank a bottle of vodka the other morning because I'm so fed up, I took 2 sleeping tablets and ended up in hospital. I am the lowest I have ever been! I don't think I could barely side effects of sertraline! I'm also on mirtazipine and lamotrigine. I was prescribed sertraline about 12 years ago and the next morning when I woke up in felt like I had taking ecstasy! My pupils were so big and my head was shaking and I was so out of it! So I stopped taking it....any advice on would be much appreciated, I can't remember how it is to feel my normal self! 😯

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Pamela. I went through the similar side effects with startling sertraline. But there is hope. Be strong. It does get better.  I started noticing little improvements 4 weeks out and at 5 weeks feeling like it has settled into my system. Trust your doctor. If sertraline is not right for you , doctor should know. Also, I take clonazepam which helps with the anxiety side effect. 

There is hope!!!

KK

• Posted

I've just took the tiniest dose of 12.50mg and I can feel my body starting to shake!!!

• Posted

Hello Pamela

I also felt shaky on my first dose... (25mg) hands trembling, jittery and on edge... but it did pass and only lasted a couple of days with me. Im wondering if youve stopped taking Citalopram could you be suffering from withdrawal aswell?? (I don't know too much about that, so cant offer any advice... but there might be a discussion on hear of someone whos experienced the same) 

But I would speak to the doctor to see if there is anything else he could offer you like Xanax / diazepam to cope with the initial side effects / withdrawals.

It does help 🌹

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.