So tired after total knee replacement

Posted , 158 users are following.

I just wondered if anyone else just feels so tired.. I am 6 weeks today post op .the op went well and I am progressing well. But I am just so tired. How is everyone else feeling ? 

23 likes, 349 replies

349 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Morning,

I am 8 weeks post op today and still feel very tired at times during the day.  My Physio says it is still important to have at least one rest lying on the bed each day.  Before I know it, I'm asleep!  It is our body's way of recovering from such a traumatic event, so give into it.

I wonder when I'll ever feel normal again.

• Posted

Had total knee replacement 6 weeks ago.Have been very tired so had blood work checked.I was extremely low in iron,so am taking iron pills and the Dr. Said I should feel better soon.Did not lose any blood at surgery.Hope this helps.
    • Posted

I am the same, however after ten weeks have not felt the need to sleep in the afternoon.  Night time very difficult as hard to get comfortable. Been very low with no appetite but this improving now.   Can't wait for swelling to go down.  Still painful seems to go on forever.  Counting down the weeks.   It's great to read that others feel the same as me.  
    • Posted

Now 25 weeks post op (June 25th) so well over the worst.  Recently had a trip to the USA so, obviously, much-improved.

It is a really long road to recovery, but we all seem to get there eventually.

Not looking forward to March when I start all over again with knee number two .....

Kind regards, Lynn

• Posted

Thank you for the encouragement. Can't wait to feel better.  I know they say it's a long process but when you are going through it, it's not much fun.  I couldn't sit on a plane at the moment but glad you have been away.  Hope knee number two goes well. My other one is good at the moment.  
    • Posted

You'll get there.  My turning point was around 12 weeks.

Merry Christmas.

• Posted

Same here - only 4 weeks out but I don't think I have ever slept so much in my entire life (except perhaps when I was a new born, but I don't remember that!)

good to hear that it's not unusual

i guess I can only go with the flow but am seeing GP in a few days time & will talk it through with her.

• Posted

It does seem that way Pam.  I'm 3 months down the road and (shush...don't tell the boss), but I almost nodded off the other day at my desk! smile But in the earlier days I rarely got any sleep at night, well nothing sustained anyway, and it's still a bit of a problem now.  I call it fatigue.  If I do a lot during the day, or whatever, My body forces me to rest.  When I was about where you are in the recovery process, it seemed I would have one good day, but following that, the next day I was shattered and all I wanted to do was rest (not necessarily sleep).

They do say, your body heals while you are sleeping, so maybe that's got something to do with it.  Or it may just be an urban myth.

• Posted

I agree about being tired and I tire easily.  I guess we should rest as often as possible.  Maybe we are catching up from all the painful, sleepless nights.  I'm four weeks post op today.  By supper time I'm ready for a warm bath and would like to go to bed.
    • Posted

How do you take a bath.  I have not been able to sit in a tub for over 2 years and there is not way I could do now and so want to.  I am 6 weeks tomorrow post surgery
    • Posted

I cannot advise you on a bath, I never take one, only shower and that does a world of good every morning. I am 10 weeks out today, my fatigue has almost left me, it's my other knee (the good one, hah!) that bothers me. The replaced one is doing good, 2 Tylenol twice a day takes care of the pain. Tub bath, to get out, would be a major challenge....

• Posted

I bought an inflatable bath cushion.

Best thing I ever did. Battery operated lowers you in and then up again.

I' m 3 weeks post op. Had first bath this week. Absolute bliss!

• Posted

Wow, lucky you! My surgeon told me no bath until I’m at least 6 weeks post op. Well tomorrow I hit the 6 week mark, warm soothing bath here I come.😊

• Posted

Hey,

Where did you get bath cushion that lowers you and brings you back up again?

This sounds amazing and just what I need.

Thanks

N x

• Posted

Hi, Ive had one of these bath cushions for a year or two, as i have osteoarthritis in both knees which made getting in and out of a bath impossible. If you're in the UK you can find adverts for these in the back of magazines and newspapers, mine is called a BathMate. I find it invaluable as I much prefer a bath to a shower, and I had a TKR 4 weeks ago. Still need a bit of a hand from hubby to get on and off the cushion at the moment but should be able to manage on my own again shortly. Hope this helps x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.