So tired after total knee replacement

Posted , 158 users are following.

I just wondered if anyone else just feels so tired.. I am 6 weeks today post op .the op went well and I am progressing well. But I am just so tired. How is everyone else feeling ? 

23 likes, 349 replies

349 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Pam, I'm 19 days post op & can nod off at the drop of a hat at anytime during the day, I actually slept through the night for the 1st time since my op without having the dreaded toilet break that usually happens 2/3 times a night, I'm hoping that after a good nights sleep I won't be needing the usual 40 winks during the day? Apart from that everything seems to be going really well for me, my pain levels are pretty low so that's a bonus on it's own biggrin just think it's all a matter of time for the healing process to take effect considering what our bodies have just been through? Hope all goes well on your road to recovery?  
    • Posted

Nice to know I am not alone , sounds like you are doing well .keep up the good work 
  • Posted

Dear Pam

I am 13 weeks post op. Went back to office just after 5 weeks.  My working hours are from 9.00 to 15.30. At around 15.30 I am nearly falling asleep behind he computer. My eyes are closing by themselves.  I am 67 this Monday Bank Holiday, so perhaps is the age.  Mind you, I keep waking up during the night, so perhaps  this is the reason for being tired. Being tired after 6 weeks is very normal, I think,I remember not being able to watch TV after 21.00 , I was just falling asleep.   My recovery has been very slow, but I am walking much better, despite tearing quad, so I have to do exercises just like being after 2 weeks after operation.  Went to boot sale last Sunday. What a joy to walk around only with one painful knee (needs to be done, hopefully in December), instead of two.

You all are doing so well, much better than me.   Good luck with your further progress.

• Posted

I was 67 at Easter , so guess I just need to accept and slow down a bit .

I want to walk up the stairs properly and be able to walk a bit faster... Not asking for much lol

• Posted

Hi Pam, I get tired too and generally have a nap in the afternoon. I"m just over 4 weeks post op. I don't do much at all during the day either! I'm a little better the last few days since I cut down to a lower dose painkiller. They definitely make me drowsy. As others say, I think it's the body telling us to rest. I don't know about you but I don't get a proper sleep at night as I keep waking every few hours feeling uncomfortable. So it all takes it's toll. The exercises also I find,
  • Posted

Sorry, had to send last comment before I'd finished - I find the exercises quite tiring too. I'm fortunate that I'm retired and don't have to worry about work so can rest when I want. Hope you can do the same and eventually we'll get fitter and stronger.

Jen 

• Posted

Hi Pam

I m so pleased that I've found this discussion forum.....I am six weeks fro my knee replacement, had first night's sleep.....but feel so tired....Christmas is coming up and everything seems so huge..... are you feeling better now?

Do hope so.... cheers Carol .......Sydney........Australia

• Posted

I too am grateful to have found this group. I am 7weeks post op and am feeling quite low at the minute. I was doing great but my wound got infected, so wAs on a strong dose of antibiotics for two weeks. 

I just feel drained now and have zero motivation. My other knee is causing me a lot of pain at the minute and although the knee I had replaced is definitely not as bad, it is stiff and burns a lot. 

• Posted

Feeling much better now , but I am 5 months in.  It's only  about the last 3 weeks that I have felt more energetic and motivated ... Just do the minimum for Christmas ,more about fun, less about presents !!     It is a long slow haul , but worth it in the end .having the second knee checked out in January ..
  • Posted

I am feeling tired too, but can't sleep.....hope this stops soon and I can sleep normally.... tired normison but no good!!!
    • Posted

I have just been reading your comments - had mine three weeks ago, not sleeping, tired all the time and exercising I find so hard.   I don't sleep at night and just dpoke to gp who suggested co codamol, already taking paracetamol and oxycodone. Why are they reluctant to prescribe sleeping tablets.  Dreading christmassad
    • Posted

They're reluctant to prescribe sleeping tablets because you can become dependant upon them.  However, I did persuade my doctor to give me some, but he only gave me six tablets.  I took one the first night, and it seemed like I had a slightly better night's sleep...However the next night, I might as well not have bothered for all the good it did....So basically I gave up on that idea....I tried Nytol too...that didn't work either....Oh and them my body decided it would be far more amusing to give me back ache as well!....That was fun...NOT.....

Have you read my blog Susan?  In it you'll see how I coped....

• Posted

Hi, no I haven't read your blog Pete. Know what you mean about backache as well. It wakes me up and that is my cue to  move to the sofa downstairs. I wish I had known what a real nuisance this operation was. I feel it's taken over my life. 
    • Posted

Hi Pete

Yes, I have tried normison and another sleeping tablet, nothing works, but last night had a good sleep, am eating in the middle of the night, which I have to stop, but this sleeplessness seems to build up then I'll have one night because I am exhausted and it starts again.    So pleased to have your comments, feel have to push myself with everything, but hydrotherapy excellent... Merry Xmas and Happy New Year!

• Posted

My understanding of the primary physicians reluctance is that co codomol is a combination of acetominophen (paracetamol) and codeine  -- things you are already taking in your current meds.  Dosages get tricky with multiple sources.  I'm going to ask my GP about things like Lunesta or Benadril -- see what she has to say.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.