Soap Breakthrough

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

Just thought I'd update my situation. It's been a while since I've been here. I am progressing so I'm happy about that and want to share it. I was applying Clob 3 times a week and Premarin cream twice a week topically and internally.

I've just been to the Vulva Clinic in Ottawa for my annual check-up. I can now use Clob twice a week instead of 3 times which is great. I have also had permission to use a soap. Yayyyyyyy! This was very good news to me. They have tested a lot of soaps and came up with the winner of these tests which is Dove unscented. I can use this soap to completely wash myself including my vulva! This is the reason why I decided to contribute this news on this site. If you want to use this soap, check with your doctor before. It's been a godsend for me with no consequences. Nice to be back.

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Can anyone advise me what too use for shaving my viginal area not due LS i have not done this in a while

thanks

elaine

• Posted

Sorry everybody. I had forgotten to click on the follow button. I was wondering why I wasn't getting any emails from this thread. My first time in this new format.

Sorry Elaine, I don't do this procedure, because of the problem of irritation I would get. If I were to try it, I would try using Unscented Dove and an oil like Emu Oil or other oil. Maybe someone else may have more ideas?

• Posted

That's interesting as a friend was told to use it by his dermatologist. He had an unidentified rash. Barely visible but itchy. Mostly on the palms of his hands, I think. Can't remember if he used the soap and didn't like it, but he gave it to me. I never opened the box as I assumed it probably did have some perfume or cream i it. I had been using cetaphil for years, but since the LS diagnosis have used no soap per instructions by the gyn .

Maybe I'll give the Dove a try.

• Posted

Hi Beverly,

I've used Unscented Dove twice now in a bath with no consequences. I tried Cetaphil before but didn't like the fact that it doesn't slip at all on your skin. This soap comes in a bar and works very well. Just make sure it says unscented or no scent or other words to that effect.

• Posted

micheline, it has absolutely no scent. Unfortunately it does not list ingredients on the box. I wonder if possibly my friend was given it at the doctor's office. It does say "not for resale". Maybe I'll give it a try. Before I was diagnosed I was using soap with no noticeable reaction, so I don't imagine it can do much harm. I had been using PH neutral because of atrophy. The doctor who diagnosed the LS gave me a handout that specifically said no soap so I stopped using it. But I have wondered about things like hydromol and others that have been mentioned.

• Edited

This great news! I am also feeling and getting better! I am still using Clob cream twice a day and premarin cream once a day. But I asked my gyno if I could try Amoxicillin because I have done a lot of reading on LS and read that many respond well with amoxicillen. I am also using a cream its all natural called emuaidMax. It really gives relief. My skin and vulva are finally starting to look like me again. 😃

• Posted

amy, how long have you been on that steroid and hormone regimen? I have been using estradiol nightly and triamcinolone (twice a week )for 6 months. Both have been quite effective, though there are still remaining spots with signs of LS. I have read overuse of steroids can cause skin atrophy so I can't help but wonder at what point is it considered overuse. My hormone cream is to treat atrophy which I had before the LS. Is this the case with you?

Just looked up the use of antibiotics for treating LS and read an article from 2006 saying Borrelia is implicated. Not sure what that means in scientific terms. Has it been consistently found or not? Have you been tested for it? Being treated with an antibiotic for 3-21 months seems an awfully long time. There are such radically different opinions in the medical community itself over antibiotic use, to use them for so long would concern me. How long will you be on them?

Please keep us posted.

• Posted

I have been on the steroid and hormone cream treatment since 10/31/18. I am only using the amoxicillin for 10 days. No I was not tested for Borellia. I do not have atrophy. I would highly recommend emuaidMax. It is soothing, helps with inflammation and is all natural.

• Posted

amy, why are you using premarin if you don't have atrophy? Was that prescribed for the LS? My gyn said my LS was brought on by low estrogen (which caused the atrophy), but as I understand it only the steroid affects the LS. The estradiol I use is for the atrophy.

Interesting that your treatment was much stronger and shorter than mine. The steroid I use is weaker, used it far less often but for a much longer period of time. Also I wasn't even aware I had LS so no severe symptoms.

I don't think emuaid would work for me because of the tea tree oil. I used restore which is an essential oil combination for LS and it stung so badly I couldn't continue using it.

Did you doc recommend the antibiotic or was this due to something you had read? I think you are the 1st person to mention antibiotics.

• Posted

I'm sorry, I mispoke. I do have atrophy and my gyn said it was brought on by low estrogen. I have only been doing treatment since 10/31 and she said to give it 6-8 weeks. Tapering off the steroid gradually, which I am going to do starting tomorrow with just once a day then taper off to like twice a week as needed. No, my gyn did not RX the antibiotic. I read about it and asked her if I could try it.

• Posted

Hi Amy,

Yours is great news also. Good for you. We all find what works best for us eventually with help from this site.

• Posted

Why are posts being blocked for mentioning soaps, if the original post mentions a soap?

• Posted

That was meant for the moderator, not Micheline.

• Posted

Hi Beverly, I am using the estradiol also can I ask if you use with or without applicator and does it make you itch? Im still not right, wondering if its contributing to my itch too besides was treated for yeast for 10 days Difflucan

• Posted

yolanda, I do not use an applicator. I have the estradiol cream made at a compounding pharmacy (price of the estrace brand was too expensive) and apply a pea size amount at the vag opening. I think it makes me a bit sore if anything. I had a fleeting internal itch for months previously, so the doc had me use a yeast cream along with the estradiol. It seemed to make matters worse so I discontinued the nystatin. The itch is almost completely gone which I attribute to colder weather. I did take one course of flagyl pills this summer which had an immediate impact. The itch did return but it was mild.

The base of the estradiol cream is versabase which, according to the pharmacist, is the least likely to cause a reaction as it has no preservatives. She offered other samples but I did not bother to try them.

• Posted

Beverly, Moderators do not view every post so you need to post your message in the normal way, then when it appears as a message click on the Report icon in the bottom left, then select "other" then give the message that you want a moderator to know - that way you stand a better chance of getting some response.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.