Solpadine withdraws

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi all I'm 37 days off solpadine and was doing good ,but got a bad flu and today I just got up and took just one .Does this mean that I'm going to be back to square one again. God I hope this does not mean I've to start all over again .

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Teresa I wouldn't say so it was not so long ago I had a serious problem with allsorts of tablets anything with codiene and I bet it it was a hard but got there eventually, I have had afew from time to time since then but just didn't go past the recommended 3 day advisory on the box's and I was fine so I'm pretty sure if u have the will power to wake up tomorrow and just say no ul b fine x

• Posted

Hello Teresa No it does not. However you may have a mild withdrawal. I did this with codeine. Never again.

Not worth it.

I just take paracetamol now for colds and other pains and use a tens machine. Anything rather than go thru withdrawal all over again. No thanks.

If you do get any spasms I would suggest taking magnesium stereate NOT citrate as causes trips to the bathroom if you get my drift.

Hope you had a good Christmas.

Take care

​xx 

• Posted

Teresa you have done so well, it doesnt at all mean your going back to square one if you just have the one.

Is there some alternatives you can take as solpadeine/codeine doesnt help with colds and flu so you should really be taking decongestants or day and night nurse.

Do you still have a supply of codeine in your house to be tempted by? If so you really should have got rid.

Make some good changes and choices and you will be fine.

Im 8 weeks off them now and feel great. I just use paracetamol and ibuprofen if i have any pain as it does actually work. I also spoke to my doctor and told them what ive been doing and they have put a note on my file to not give codiene products. You have to keep going and beat this

• Posted

Hi I agree totally with you. 

Be wary of Brufen plus because someone told me it contains some codeine!!!

Take care

xx

• Posted

Hi abbox, well done you!! I was just looking through some recent posts and saw this....... I am trying to stop but it's so so hard!!! How did you deal with the no energy and depression etc?? I really need to do this but keep giving in after a day! 😔 Xx

• Posted

Hi Dash1 When you make the choice to go off or cold turkey it's hard ,you will be making right choice ,I didn't find it so back ,my head ,ear ring (very loud) bad form ,cold very cold ,but father about three weeks it gets easier .I was taken off all tablets in hospital as my liver was in a bad way ,when I was in hospital my liver was not working at all ,then I was not long learning if I take on the tablets I'd be in trouble twice as bad .good luck

• Posted

Hi Teresa, if you have gone that far (well done by the way)!!! don't take any more it's not worth it! Just the one won't set you back but they are something you want to steer clear of. I am trying to stop taking codeine at the moment and I giv in after a day as I find the depression side hard but then get more depressed because I give in!! I managed two days once but it's also the no energy I can't deal with 😔 Any advice? Xx

• Posted

Hi I know someone who withdrew from codeine and she said it was terrible. However she withdrew eventually and feels a lot better.

I have an e mail from her in which she says that the first 5 to 6 days are the worst. I think you can withdraw cold turkey but it is very uncomfortable. Magnesium baths and tablets help wih the aches and pains .

Moderate exrcise helps as it stimulates the endorphins.

• Posted

Thankyou for the reply Claire I really am going to keep trying!! I need to do this!!! I read on here all the time peoples stories and it's silly really how I can't just get through that first 7 days?! Then maybe things will be easier! 😔 Xx

• Posted

Hi It is hard. Others have done it so can you.

Half the battle is wanting to be free of this poison.

It is a poison so my  neurologist told me.

Codeine is an opiate and they attack the gaba receptors in the brain and stomach/gut.

When you withdraw the body reacts by crying out for more of this poison. That is when you take control and say NO NO I do not wish mybody and my mental state to be damaged anymore so I am not taking this obnoxious poisonous substance.

​As stated previously the first six to seven days are said to be the worst. Then the withdrawal signs and symptoms lessen.

So take each day, each hour at a time.

Treat it as a challenge. You v poison.

​Keepbusy even though youmay not feel like moving. This is an effect of codeine as it also suppresses the dopamine in our brains.

Go to every self help group and telephone advice support line going. Do anything except take any more codeine.

Sorry if I sound pushy.

• Posted

No you don't sound pushy ...... this is what I need!! I will do it I have to I just want to be me again 😔 Thank you for having the time to reply to me and help it means a lot xx

• Posted

Hi

You will be you again. You still are. It is the opiate talking. It affects the brain and the stomach .Opiods cause psychological and physsical dependence. How dare it do this to us. Tell the codeine, opiate that it can get lost! Tell it that you are not , I repeeat NOT going to give in because you are a fighter, a survivor and codeine is the enemy.

This may sound mad but anything that strengthens one's will power is okay. If it works why knock it.

Tell yourself how much better you are going to feel. That is not speculation either. It is a certainty.

Keep thinking like you are.

• Posted

Hi I am addicted to co-codomal I've tried so hard to get off them but when I do I get the dirreahea I'm on 8 a day and I take them from 1st thing in the morning if I don't have them I'm not awake it's like that every morning and then I look at the time when the next lot is due to take and now I've got to a point were I know I need to stop any help xxx

• Posted

Hi Hope it is okay to interject as you have written to Teresa?

Have you asked your dr if he.she could prescribe or recommend Immodium for the diarrhoea. I heard that this is very helpful in dealing with withdrawal.

The dr can work out a regime of tapering off codeine/opiates. I think the dr will base this regime on how long you have been taking co codamol for and if it was prescribed and the strength of the co codamol.

think you need to taper off co codamol.

You can do it.

• Posted

Hi Claire that's fine Hun I told my dr I have a addiction and I said is there anything u can give me for it to help me she was like no u need to just come off them my fear is of been like cold turkey and grumpy and she has giving me diazepam to sleep but I'm nervous to take them I really don't know what to do if I been honest it scares me xx

• Posted

What dose of diazepam has she given you? They are unlikely to help you.
    • Posted

5 mg but I won't take them I had them before they made my mouth dry

• Posted

The thing is that diazepam is a benzo and they are even worse to come off than codeine/opiates.

There is a facebook page where they have drs who are experts in tapering of all kinds of drugs.

I am not allowed to put the link on here.

• Posted

Yeah I heard there worser I'm frightened of suffering getting the withdrawals

• Posted

Please try not to be afraid of the withdrawal. It is manageable. Have you heard of a Facebook group mnned by drs expert in tapering off all manner of drugs. I think it is called cmbalta hurts worse. Don't be put off by the title. I had a quick look and it looks very professional.No harm looking at it then deciding for yourself.

• Posted

See I don't really use Facebook much but I know this will be hard but I need to beat this addiction I'm 29 I can't go on in life been like this I took a Imodium plus so hope that helps I feel sweaty were I have withdrawals

• Posted

Hello Emma

Yes I know. I only took three co codamol a WEEK and ended up feeling very ill. The withdrawal was terrible but worthwhile.

You will get the sweats but that means the co codamol is leaving your body you are detoxing from it. It is really nasty stuff, better out than in.

If you focus on managing the signs and symtoms it will help you as well as being a distraction. Drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration . The codeine removes water from your bowel and then when you withdraw the water is no longer being removed hence the runs. That is what the dr told me but it will clear up. Immodium helps a lot. I do not know the dose please check that out with the chemist .

Have atowel handy plus clean nightwear by your bedside so you can just wipe yourself dry then change without getting out of bed. It all helps to deal with this process. Be kind to yourself. Eat good food.If you are too depressed to cook try ready made meals for a short time.

Also take magnesium but check you get the one that does not give you diarrhoea.

Anther tip is to try to occupy yourself.

Exercise helps as it encourages the production of endorphins which are the body's natural pain killers and anti depressants.

When you get the urge to ttake codeine tell yourself that you do not need it, it is the mind playing tricks ctrying out for the poison. That is how mad this drug is and how it gets people addicted without them even realising it!!!

Keep going. You have the motivation to stop this poison that is half the battle. The Samaritans are also there to help you talk through your anxieties tel no 0116 1234 freephone. This is not an easy process when you withdraw but it is acheivable.

• Posted

Claire thank u so much for ur honesty ur kind words and ur advice I will be taking this in very carefully thank u xx
    • Posted

You are very welcome. Withdrawing from codeine is worse than withdrawing from heroin. I have onluy ever taken prescribed codeine but never again. It should only be prescribed for three days because of the addictive 'qualities' according to the NICE guidelines. Personally I would never dream of taking the stuff as long as I live.

I have a good GP who now understands the bad effect this codeine had on me and he is very supportive. 

Codeine caused severe constipation, had to have an enema .

xxxx

• Posted

Good for u I think u should be proud of yourself for beating it I hope and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 I'm strong enough but I will definitely keep u updated on how I get on xxxx

• Posted

Well the enema episode demonstrated the bad effects of codeine on the bowel it slows it down, takes fluid from the bowel causing severe constipation. The diarrhoea is also part of the process of the bowel getting back to normal. The Immodium helps by GENTLY  slowing the bowel down.

Drinking fluids helps as I said before.

​It takes will power but you appear to me to have that will power because you are so determined to get off this stuff, this poison. xxxxx.

causing constipation

• Posted

sorry about the ypos the roblemis the new laptop as it is so sensitive the slightest touch sends off emails, postings before I can edit them. Sorry.
    • Posted

Yes Emma  I was getting up at 6am to get some ,didn't get moving till evening time and watched the clock till next ones ,it's not easy to do ,I tried to cut down that did not work ,I'm telling you I went in hospital with pain in ribs (very bad pain ) and was told my liver was not working at all ,when him told me I'm taking you off all the tablets I'm when mad ,but I'm just over 6 weeks now .first 7 days was bad but how I'm out ding every day jobs that I was to bad to do in morning ,and I've got a chronic bad back .Just say I have to do it and go for it 

• Posted

teresa

Were you kept in hospital whilst they took you off the codeine? I hope you don't mind my asking.

I would avoid any tab;let or preparation containing codeine as even in small quantities it can cause problems. That is what my drs havve ttold me.

Have you used heat pads. Tens machine for pain?

My physio tod me to keepmoving around as lying still makes back pain worse.

• Posted

Hi Claire 

No I was not in hospital when I was going off ,was in for three days getting test done on liver and was out in that three days .You have to go  and do yourself .

• Posted

I need to do it my life is sh*t same thing everyday it's a joke honestly I can't stick it but it helps keep me motivated to do things but I will stop I will beat it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.