Some Advice about going home

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello again. I am a Canadian woman who flew to Phoenix Arizona to pay to have my hip replaced because I couldn't wait the 6 months in Canada. I am one week and 2 days post op. It has really taken me for a loop and to be honest I knew there would be  lot of pain but this no energy/sluggish felling is what concerns me. I am suppose to fly home Tuesday night at 8....I am dreading the long journey but also know I would love to get home as I feel I would heal better there....Does everyone think that is a good idea? Should I stay a couple of extra days so it is 2 weeks post op? Would that really make a difference?  From the surgeons side I am good to go. Thoughts?? I appreciate any advice as I feel quite vulnerable having never experienced anything like this....Thank you all in advance!!!!!! 

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Apparently flying after hip surgery can cause serious problems
  • Posted

Hi

It took me almost 2 weeks to get over the sluggishness mainly caused by the anaesthetic and the assault on my body but it does get better, I am 3 weeks along now but still get hit by tiredness when I do a bit too much, Dont know how long the flight is but I would think by Tuesday you will be feeling better and I am sure if you let the airline know you will get help too. Good luck 

Julie

• Posted

Hello and welcome to this forum.

​I am very surprised  that you would be allowed to fly straight after this op?  I know you must so much want to be back home.  If you are OK to fly you will be fine at home..altho a bit wobbly physically and emotionally for a coule of weeks.  I am now almost 3 months post op..can't believe it...I was worried about coming home as on my own but managed very well if frustratingly as I kept dropping stuff and grabbers not always as efficent!  RE pin as there is some even if just form the op as it is a deep deep wound..painkillers should control it.  If you have the chance to stay put for another week I would suggest you do..

​Let us know..

Ali 2  

• Posted

Hi ...I would stay over at least untill the dressing comes off as you are very nearly there, and ask the docs how it is and what the risks are from flying, it must be the sitting and the comptression and the getting around in the airport, it could all be too much on crutches, perhaps, that is the worry I would wait another week in a designated rehab place if you can afford it.

Keep us posted as to how it goes and what the experts advise please.  Ian.

• Posted

Flying can cause dvt in veins and clots. The nhs says not to fly for 3 month after hip surgery
    • Posted

Hi...It's the blood clot issue. Many Canadians fly here and fly home. Usually 10 -14 days is when they return. I am on blood thinners, compression socks and have been getting around with a cane. I know it will be exhausting but I am thinking staying 2 more days won't help much!...The surgeon says that they have had great results on the saftely of flying.
  • Posted

I would think the biggest concern on a flight would be blood clots.

be sure to question surgeon, and perhaps put off flying for a couple or 3 weeks.

• Posted

I deffo agree with you. You might even need to get a certificate of flight
  • Posted

HI Savy:

I thnk the sluggishness you are feeling my be a reaction to the anaesthesia.  I remember that when I had surgery on my hand in San Francisco in 1987, I was given a local and sedation.  I was sluggish for days after.  The body also goes into shock and tries to repair itself.  Also this is quite major surgery, and there is blood loss that is replaced, but that is an added burden on your system.  You still have a few days, and by Tuesday, you may feel well enough to travel.  So rest and relax while you are in hospital, and if you still feel unfit to travel, say so.

All the best,

Susie

• Posted

Thanks....I realize that I must have effects from blood loss as I look so pale......It's been a real journey and I assumed it would be a faster recovery but after reading many comments I accept to go with the flow and everything just takes time. smile
    • Posted

I think I would re-book your flight for 16 days after your surgery.

You asked for advice and that would be my recomendation.

How long a flight is it? And is it a direct flight?

• Posted

Hi,

It's tomorrow night...I see the surgeon in the morning. It's 3 plus 18 minutes and yes it's direct. My daughter is with me and we have big seats at the very front. I will walk as much as I can....stockings and am on the blood thinners....I am trying not to be nervous....I will be 13 days post op... 

• Posted

Wear compression socks and stand and walk around alot, and take a blood thinner/aspirin, DVT very common after THR....Good Luck, have a safe trip...
  • Posted

Hi there.....I am also Canadian....live in the Yukon Territory and had my THR 3 weeks ago today in Edmonton, AB.  I was out of the hospital on day 3....stayed two nights in a hotel and flew to Whitehorse on day 5...had to land in Calgary first...but didn't get off....total flight time about 3 hours...and then i endured a 5 hour drive the next day to Dawson.....no problem....

I do suggest you fly in either the front row or exit row that has extra legroom...and get a window seat so you can lean against it.  I had to stand up every 20 min to take pressure off.  I took a hip cushion...but ended up using it under my feet and not on my seat (i am short). For the drive the next day i put all the seats down in my suv and put down a mattress... sat for the first 1.5 hours and laid on the mattress for the rest of the trip...with leg elevated and pillows supporting both sides so not to wobble.  I have to say the mattress was a brilliant idea and it was the most comfortable in the 5 days since surgery.

I arranged for a wheel chair in the airports....but ended up using my crutches as it felt better to stand than sit...and putting carryons/pillows in the wheelchair.  I had my husband with me to help - there is no way i could have done the trip on my own.  

Best of luck,

Mel

• Posted

Hello!... This is a great sight! What a trip you endured.....Thanks for some tips for example a cushion for the flight. I cannot get over how vulnerable I feel with this surgery. We (my daughter and I) are set to fly home Tuesday night. Originally I was to have the surgery on Nov 11 but had a sore throat so it was held off a week. It messed everything off but I felt better being safe.....My husband is in Ontario working and couldn't stay longer.....Anyway how are you doing? I have said on this forum that the surgery wiped me out way more than I anticipated but I am on the road to recovery. Thanks for your input....
    • Posted

I am doing pretty good I think...although i feel i have taken a few steps backward in the past few days in terms of pain.  I woke up this morning with a cold so that probably explains it.  I use a walker on the main floor of my house and use crutches to get upstairs to my bed.  I actually upgraded to using one crutch about 5 days ago because the walker is so bulky, but switched back after having more hip pain.  Not sure if it was from the one crutch or overdoing it with exercises.  Sounds like it is normal for some to have up and down days.  I nap when i need to and find icing a few times a day makes a big difference in taking that butt cheek ache away.  Hardest thing for me is not bending over and keeping the "right" angles.  It is getting better.  During the two weeks i found it more comfortable to stand than sit but it is getting more comfortable now.  I was pretty exhausted before surgery so am taking advantage of the down time.  Everything can wait....don''t want to undo what we have been waiting so long for!  Yes, i have to go back to Edmonton (fly) for appointment on December 14.  Best of luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.