Some Advice about going home

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello again. I am a Canadian woman who flew to Phoenix Arizona to pay to have my hip replaced because I couldn't wait the 6 months in Canada. I am one week and 2 days post op. It has really taken me for a loop and to be honest I knew there would be  lot of pain but this no energy/sluggish felling is what concerns me. I am suppose to fly home Tuesday night at 8....I am dreading the long journey but also know I would love to get home as I feel I would heal better there....Does everyone think that is a good idea? Should I stay a couple of extra days so it is 2 weeks post op? Would that really make a difference?  From the surgeons side I am good to go. Thoughts?? I appreciate any advice as I feel quite vulnerable having never experienced anything like this....Thank you all in advance!!!!!! 

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Oh and also....blood clots are a concern ...but my doc put me on blood thinners for a month so he ok"d it.  I was told it is best to do your flight travel in the first 2 weeks from one dr. but when i asked about doing my 6 week follow-up by telehealth from home with a dr and a physio here...my surgeon said I ablsolutely had too be at the appointment in person...and gave me extra blood thinners to take starting 2 days before i come for the 6 week apt.  Seems there is differing opinions on the matter.
    • Posted

The surgeon had me start blood thinners once I was out of the hospital which would have been last Sat. So you have to fly back for your 6 week?

This is a process that is for sure!!!!!

• Posted

Are u flying home or long road trip? Both wouldn't be a good idea. Are u taking blood thinning meds to avoid dvt?
  • Posted

Hi Savy, 

Go with what feels right to you . ...if you still feel you are not up to the trip, postpone it for a couple of days  ... it is a good thing that your daughter is with you ... 

ask for wheelchair assistance at airport - hopefully you'll be assigned a seat with extra leg space-

big warm hug ... it will be okay - have faith

renee

• Posted

Thank you Renee....I am feeling a little but bagged today as I feel my leg legnth is a fair bit out. One tries not to complain as at times I feel my thoughts are so negative. When I bend my knees they are really different. Oh well happy thoughts......
  • Posted

Hi Savy

I had a knee replacement and flew 10 days later. I had had a previous knee replacement and broke it when I was 1,500 kms north of Perth in Western Australia. I needed an air ambulance to get me to Perth where I had a revision. But I live in Sydney and was desperate to get home.

I too felt like I just didn't have the energy to do the 5 hour flight. I think I basically closed my eyes and relied on others to organise me. I just did what I was told and concentrated on managing my body. I also flew business class so I could get in and out of the seat easily.

My energy following this hip op didn't return until I was at about 4 weeks. The anaesthetic and body trauma really take it out of me. It's horrible to be feeling so awful and to be so far from home. You have my every sympathy.

Keena

• Posted

Hello....wow what a journey you had!!! I appreciate your comments....The surgeon says they have had great safety results.....It's the blood clot issue. I am on blood thinners, stockings and am moving around with a cane. The flight is 3 and  half hours. direct. I think I would feel better at home....anyway thanks for your kind words!
    • Posted

All the best for the trip Savy. If you feel like it, you could let us know when you arrive safely home. And tell us how the trip went.
  • Posted

Hello all!!!! I made it home! I wanted to come on here and share as you are all kind of like a new second family to me!!!!! I have a new appreciation for people in wheelchairs....My daughter wheeled me through Phoenix airport which is HUGE....Grabbed a sandwich and we were on the plane....3 hours....I didn't lots of movements and stood now and again....The other Big thing I did was this....I have travelled a fair bit in the past so when I awoke yesterday morning I put it in my head like it was another trip I was flying home from...the actual fun vacation typeLOL! Seemed to help my day a lot..Surgeon didn't stress about flying mainly spoke of blood clots in general and not focusing on flight. In other words to stay on my thinners til I finish them, wear the beautiful stockings for 2 more weeks etc....Was very glad to get home. Went on the scale and have gained a couple of pounds which I thought but more importantly my replacement hip leg sure seems longer standing on something very familiar as before. I need the other one and I am sooo hoping I will have a year of enjoyment before that happens but we all know that is hard to say. He can make them even thensmile So I wish you all a wonderful day today.....Snow here and minus 11C....On a side note.....Trying to look for the good in all this mess is very hard sometimes but one thing I have been shown is that my 18 year old daughter is a true angel and I could not have gotten through this past 3 weeks without her....Blessings to all!!!!
    • Posted

Im glad to hear that you got home safetly and that they wont rush you back to quickly to get the other hip done. How much leg difference do you have at the moment?
    • Posted

Originally he thought about 2 mil. Yesterday was the first office visit since the  operation and I had a long list smile When he commented on there being a slight  difference I didn't even ask. At this point I have a gel pad in the other footwear to give me a little lift... It is suppose to settle in some after a couple of weeks.....Personally I think it's longer but we will see......
    • Posted

2 milimeters? I always find it odd how people can notice that difference. Id die if i only had that. I unfortently have 4cm difference in my leg length. It cause many physical problems as im constantly wobbling and falling hahaha. But i hope the difference goes back to normal. I hope that didnt sound rude. It wasnt meant to hahahaha
    • Posted

Personally I think it's longer....Sure feels it....It is noticible for me but they also said it feels that way for a few weeks? Take care!
    • Posted

well done Savy..have a grfeat night in your own bed..that is sleep!!

Love,

Alice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.