Some advice please

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi sorry for posting again, but my doctors don't seem much help at all and not even offered me Flu and Pneumonia injections. Perhaps because it's not that bad yet not sure.

But i was wondering what diets health exercise and vitamins i should be taking if any. I can't eat many things because of my acid reflux and worried that my lungs will get worse.

Things i do now are walking and some thread mill exercise which i find gets my heart and lungs working better than walking to be honest. 

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi John

Only just coming to terms myself with diagnosis, my gp has not offered me flu injection either, or any form of support, I have never smoked in my life so i'm abit up set at diagnosis, but I do suffer from Hiatus hernia, and reflux I have medication for that, so my diet isn't to resricted, I'd just put your self forward or get it done at the local chemist. Thats what I shall do. I take vitamin c d and e and Astragalus a natrual herb, anything worth a try, keep active ride a bike swim.

• Posted

Hi Lesley

Yes i was told i have a small Hiatus hernia yesterday and also on 2 Omeprazole a day but still can't eat many foods because it sets my throat off and makes me panic.

I was told my emphysematous changes are more likely from acid going in my lungs and not smoking.

• Posted

Sounds like the same things I'm going through. I've been trying to tell my doctors for years and years about how tired I get & so short of breath but they never seemed to care much.  It was always, "You're overweight, you need to exercise more, it's your depression and anxiety, it's your sleep apnea, it's your acid reflux and on and on...."  I kept going to the ER and my Primary Care Doctor and then started seeing a cardiologist for EKG's and echo and stress tests. Finally my cardiologist flat out told me I needed to see a Phychiatrist and get on medication - as all of my so called symptoms were in my head!  I finally just insisted that my Sleep Medicine Doctor do more testing and after almost 10 years with this doctor x-rays and a spirometer test was done & out of the blue he states that I have COPD! It's so sad that most doctors seem to have so little regard for their patients and that they dismiss their symptoms so easily. I for one am very frustrated as I should have been diagnosed years earlier and started treatment before things began to progress to the point where I have such a difficult time breathing.  I was a smoker for almost 20 years and had the doctors told me the damage that was being done to my lungs (through chest x-rays and other testing) I would have quit years sooner instead of just 5 months ago when I got this diagnosis. So now I've taken it upon myself to try and eat healthier, I avoid spicy, heavy meals to help my acid reflux and eat very small meals & never late in the day.  I also avoid any alcohol and avoid citrus and acidy drinks and colas and am trying to get out and walk maybe a mile or so 3-4 times a week.  All of this is helping but if I'd started being more proactive years ago maybe I would be breathing better now and have more energy and less anxiety.  So don't depend 100% on the doctors - take matters into your own hands, read up on the internet about changes you can make to help your acid reflux and lungs and if you smoke please quit! I hope things get better for you soon and that things for you haven't progressed as much as they have for me.  You haven't said what, if any, kind of lung problems you have and whether you're seeing a Pulmonologist or an ENT or Gastroenterologist for your acid reflux.  Don't let them put you off; always insist on answers and if you may need more testing, medication or treatment of any kind. Sorry about my lengthy reply, I just feel for others like myself who sometimes don't have the answers or don't know where to turn to help themselves. 

All the best to you!

• Posted

I forgot to mention that I did recently insist on getting the flu vaccine and the pneumonia vaccine - and no my doctor did not insist on me getting these - I DID! Not sure if you live in the US (I do) or elsewhere but here these vaccines are done at most pharmacies and accept most insurance plans. 
    • Posted

That 's another thing my doctors never explained to me - I had a full pulmonary function test done in June and the numbers were never really explained to me. All I got was an FEV1 of 76 and that I am a CO2 retainer. I had insisted on seeing a Pulmonologist to have this testing done because my Sleep Medicine doctor only did the simple breathe in - breathe out spirometry test and one x-Ray. (This was back in February of this year) Then he shakes his head and puts me on Spiriva and Ventolin. That was it, end of discussion, so I left his office with more questions that answers. Then I took matters into my own hands and scheduled an appointment with an actual Lung Doctor; I followed up with him last month and he took another look at my complete lung function test results and told me to STOP taking the inhalers and come back next March for repeating the tests.  So I'm kind of lost as to what I should do. The Spiriva and Ventolin don't seem to make much difference in my breathing.  I do have chronic sinusitis and a recent Cat Scan of my sinuses showed they were a mess which is why I can hardly get a breath in through my nose and breath more through my mouth. With everything I have going on I just don't know what is making me so short of breath. I'm still trying to figure it all out.  I sure hope the doctors in England where you live have much more concern and care for you and other patients. Take care.

• Posted

They just don't seem to care about it, but i am learning loads from this forum i try not to read much on the internet because most of it is rubbish.

My FEV1 is 79% i don't any symptoms yet. only found mine on a routine ct scan that i had for something else.

• Posted

Hi Jeanette, You should also consider having the Zovirax vaccine which guards against getting herpes and shingles, which to us sufferers can be a problem.
  • Posted

In the UK mostly if you go to your GP surgery about this time of year they have notices up reminding you to make an appointment for a flu jab.  This is good enough for most people who are actually aware they want one.

The Pneumonia jab is a bit different. It is once every 10 years, but has not been recognised to be effective, and in the UK it is only being given to a single year range of ages at the moment, and may fall by the wayside anyway.  But if you can get it, why not do so?

• Posted

FYI....there are two different types of pneumonia shots.  1 shot for pneumonia is only given every 10 years, the Pneumoccal Pneumonia shot is given each year and helps with over 415 different strains of pneumonia.  The Flu shot is not given here in the states until beginning in October.  If you have COPD or Pneumonia or any compromised health condition.  This is a no brainer, your doctor should know that you need these injections and it should be on your records.  If you are on some cholesterol medications that is one reason that some COPD patients cannot take certain nebulizer and inhaler medications.  You need to demand these to keep from becoming incapacitated..due to negligence of your doctor.  If you are in the US you can go to Walgreens, CVS, or most pharmacies and recieve these injections.  I prefer to stay with my Internal Medicine doctors because it's just too important for every one to be on the same page.  As I have told each of you before, keep copies of everything (tests included) appointments, the notes, and medications, so that you have a complete file of everything that has happened during each course of your health.  Stay strong.  Don't forget your phone has a video on it.  Take it to the physicians offices and just hold it in their faces and get the words right out of their mouths so you can repeat play them back for yourself, and also take them to your next physicians office.  God Speed....Keep on breathing...do what you have to do to stay healthy.  I also take Tumeric, you can order it from the health food stores.  It's a long time centuries old remedy for lung conditions....So far, I am doing fine....Breathless.

• Posted

Hi is Tumeric a spice ? because if it is i can't use it. I never knew there was different types of pneumonia shots my doctors have not offered me any help except the basic lung test and said come back in 12 months.

All the information i find is from here, but go back for my results at the hospital soon so will ask questions that's if i remember them all.

• Posted

If you are in the UK, you can actually register with your GP to have internet access to a lot of your details. It is not done as a routine, you can understand why, but if your Dr is sensible, you will be able to access your meds, your test results, appointments and similar, which is a big help.
    • Posted

Yes i think you can at some, but not ours.
  • Posted

John you won't get offered these unless you have a diagnosis of COPD, you mentioned in one of your other comments you don't have a diagnosis of COPD.

You can ask your doctor for an annual flu shot a pneumonia shot and your doctor will advise you under what circumstances these are recommended and prescribed on the NHS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.