Someone out there feeling the same? Am I losing my mind? What to do???

Posted , 6 users are following.

Dear all,

I've suffered with anxiety/panic attacks for the last 17 years. I have been on citalopram for 13 years and have stopped just over 2 weeks ago and started sertraline 50mg instead. Citalopram was not working very well anymore. The first 2 weeks everything was fine and in the last 3 days my anxiety is awful!!! I always feel like I'm the only to feel this way as the symptoms are so intense that I wonder how I manage to go through the day. I feel like jelly, mind racing, jaw is so tense that I feel like screaming so much everything is, all the usual symptoms I guess plus waves of being petrified! I can't think or eat it's awful Im so scared I'm going insane! I have an appt at the docs this afternoon but im so scared. He'll probably increase the dose but im terrified it will be like this for the next 2 weeks!! I just had it! It's so unfair! It ruins my life! I had CBT but didn't help much, I try to distract myself and do some breathing exercises but how long again is this gonna last for!! I'm going on holiday in 3 weeks and I NEED TO BE OK!!! Everything feels unreal and unsafe sad I hate it so much. I want to feel like myself right now! I'm panicking as it's the weekend soon so it's not like I can distract myself with work... It will be so hard sad does anyone ever feel so intense, petrified, jellyfish, frozen, feel like ur going to collapse, or scream or going mad... Please someone reassure me. My partner doesn't understand any of it and I can't blame him. My family is abroad and I don't really tell them as mum is very anxious anyway and when I talk or see them for some weird reasons my anxiety is over the roof! I love them to bits but I guess I associate them with my first panic attacks so I find it extremely difficult to forget that. It's awful as I always find excuses not to see them or if I have to i panick weeks before.... This whole thing is a nightmare and I feel so lonely. X

4 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi babette

I can really relate to what your going through this is really how my anxiety manifests itself last month I went through a faze like this, I would be dropping off to sleep then I would hear noises from outside and think oh how come I didn't hear those noises earlier, ordinary noises like the wind blowing or the sound of a car then I would spend all night convincing my self there was something seriously wrong with me,my head would feel funny like it was going to burst which I believe is tension head muscles contracting,but so difficult to tell myself at the time, yet after nights like that would still get up and go to work!!!! Surely that should be profe nothing serious going on,but oh no lol imagination is there to rear its ugly head every time.As for the rescue dog would you feel the same towards him if you were not feeling so ill? don't hate yourself for any feelings you have towards the dog it can't be helped when your feeling so ill. I've gone to a & e when unwell you just end up in a psychiatric ward.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.