Someone please help.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello. I am in a desperate place and need help/feedback. This is my first time ever posting, so please bare with me if it is lengthy. I am a 27 year old female, very overweight, nonsmoker.

I've had anxiety for as long as I can remember, even in childhood. However, in the past months it has taken on a new form and is totally debilitating. It started in October. The night before a flight (I'm terrified of flying) I started having awful pain in the back left side of my head, as if I had hit it or were having a stroke. Ever since then I've had every strange symptom imaginable: heart palpitations, tingling in my face, weakness on my left side, dizziness, a sense that I am going to pass out, night tremors, a vague dissociative feeling, and more. I should add that I've been under a lot of pressure: my dad was diagnosed with cancer, my mom is in kidney failure, my marriage is absolutely falling apart, and there are pressures at work and school (finished grad school in December) that seem overwhelming to me. I've had an MRI due to two family members having MS. It was normal. I've had normal routine blood tests, decent blood pressure readings, a normal EKG, but can't shake the feeling that something is gravely wrong. I've drastically changed my diet and have started therapy. I've tried a low dose of Busbar, which wasn't that helpful. I think I'm just looking for someone who can relate, because I feel so alone.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Holly

First out - take the good from what you have. You have seen a doctors and they have ruled out anything obviously critical. This is a major Plus point.

What I can tell from your post is that you have immense stress in your life and your thoughts are all over the place based on stress factors. This is one of the main instigators of panic attacks. It appears that your mind has reached a point where the stress is taking its toll and thus what you are feeling.

You must address the stress factors and start working back from there. You need to tell yourself that you have seen a GP and they have ruled out anything serious and obvious so far.

If you dont get to a place of positivity then you will keep getting these affects and they will increase.

• Posted

Thank you for your response. I'm most frustrated because I'm at a loss for how to reduce the stress in my life. I've made some positive changes, but I don't know how to arrive at that place of positivity. I feel overwhelming tired and on edge so much of the time. I find it difficult to trust my head and difficult to trust my body, which is a scary place to be.
    • Posted

Go back to basics - write it down. Before I used to think that doing things like this was just silly. ie others do that not me. But Ive found that it helps so much! Write down the positive and negatives on a piece of paper - half and half. Write as many as you can - then work through them and rate them 1 - 10 on how bad or good they are.

Then work at how to address them.

Our brain is such a complex muscle - it needs to be cajoled in to knowing sub con and conscously that things are not that bad,

• Posted

Thanks, jay. I'll give that a try. I had been journaling for a while and that's actually what clued me into how long this has been going on-reading back over what I'd wrote about my feelings. It's just amazing that the brain can do this to people. I would've never imagined if it weren't happening to me.
  • Posted

Im so sorry for everything that is happening in your life. You are dealing with a lot of really difficult things right now. Very smart you are in  therapy  have you considered medication? This is a lot for one person to handle with both your parents ill and a marriage falling apart. Fantastic job changing your diet, your body really need you to make healthy choices. Ill tell you, you will get through this and you will be one of  the strongest, self reliant persons walking this Earth. Be very patient with yourself and love your self you are basically passing through  a very difficult time right now. Anyone on this earth would be stressed in your lifes position. Stay strong and God bless.
    • Posted

Hi, Lisa. Yes, I'm seriously considering meds right now. I tried Buspar, which is a very mild anti-anxiety med, but it didn't seem to make a big difference, even after several weeks. I'm thinking maybe an antidepressant with some anti-anxiety properties may be good for me. There is so much going on in my life that I feel hyper sensitive to everything- literally anything scares me. I'm trying to do my best though. I appreciate your kind reply.
  • Posted

Hi holly. I can assure you that you are not alone. I have suffered health anxiety for a long time and it really can be life changing for some people. I am forever thinking I will just drop dead one day and that thought terrifies me. Maybe speak to your doctor and get referred for cbt? I am on the waiting list just now. If you ever feel alone feel free to message me anytime as I also feel alone so I know how you feel x
    • Posted

Hi, lorna. Thank you for telling me that you go through this as well. I know it is awful, and I'm so sorry it is happening to you too. I hope you get in to cbt soon. I'll message you.
  • Posted

Hi Holly,

I've recently spoken with someone about the anxiety attacks I was having this is what they advised to me.

1. Stop with the negative thinking, concentrate on what is good in your life i.e. friends, family, weight loss, activities.

2. Don't automatically think the worst - any fears you have for the future are if, buts & may be's.

3. Life in the moment and appreciate every minute you spend with people that you love.

4. Use your support network you have around you - family, friends etc. speak regular to them.

5. If you have a negative thought address it & let it go "I've heard you but now I'm going to forget you".

6. Focus on your strengths & what you have achieved. Not everyone is good at the same things so look at what you are good at & build on it.

7. Work out that makes you happy and think of this when you feel stressed or anxious. A family picture, a song etc.

8. If there is anything that you enjoy such as reading, baking, drawing, colouring. Being creative uses a different part of your brain so when you are preoccupied with a creative task the stress/anxious part of your brain is dormant.

9. Keep eating healthy - cut out refined sugars & caffine as these fuel anxiety.

10. Keep active, have a go at yoga. Yoga breaths help when trying to calm your mind.

I hope these tips help. Stay positive, take time for yourself & keep talking to your support network.

Good luck! ☺

• Posted

Thank you! The way that I feel physically doesn't seem brought upon by any particular thoughts, but I know it must be because my head never seems to slow down. Yoga is something I very much want to try but sometimes I feel so bad it's hard to imagine doing it. Thanks again for the list of strategies.
  • Posted

I have been overweight after a hospital stay where they fed me too well.

I would try and look after your health first, lose some weight and gain some self confidence and try to encourage your family to be more healthy too for their benefit.

• Posted

I've been overweight and underweight at many points in my life. When I was 16 I developed an eating disorder and it's been a real roller coaster ever since. Right now I'm focusing on eating fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. I hope it makes an improvement in my health and wellness.
    • Posted

No. I do not currently. I've been on again and off again vegetarian for years. I only recently stopped eating meat, after this anxiety developed.
    • Posted

don't forget your vitamin B supplements. Meat has these but you need to  take some when you don't eat red meat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.