Soon to graduate to a walking boot

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've never had such a restrictive injury where I had to be transported to all my appt's and have been housebound. By the time I'll get my walking boot I will have been in my cast for almost 6 weeks. I've been NWB during this time and will get my walking boot on June 6th. I'm dying to get more freedom by being able to walk down from my 2nd floor condo and to my car. Can anyone tell me what to expect the first few weeks w/my walking boot, and how long it'll be before I can walk my dog?

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Mary. Your in the right place we're all in the same boat. This is most debilitatingI've been lwb for 9 days with no boot hurt like hell to begin with,I'm thinking it depends on your pain what level is. And make sure you wear a shoe on good foot to level you up with boot,to avoid hip back and knee problems.  You don't need other injuries 

• Posted

I was non weight bearing for 12 weeks, walking in the boot, will be difficult to start with and then it gets easier. You have to pace yourself, don't try and do too much in the first few days, small steps as the saying goes. 

• Posted

Dear Mary

Out of interest I clicked on your profile but there was nothing about you.

Yes the recovery from a TAR is long and hard but if you need a bit of encouragement at the moment do a Google search with Yogesh total ankle replacement and you will see a short video I made showing me walking on different surfaces and running up and down stairs at twenty weeks.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hi Mary. Im with you on that...restricted isnt the word...Im finding it really hard to even get out to appt's, as my husband works every day my son is learning a the mo, so nog able to site with him, both my daughters work and live 30 miles away. I hate it.I have always been the one toferry others around but now my life has come to a stand still. Im 7weeks next Tuesday since my accident and feels more like mths!!! I have my hosp appt on the 2nd June where Im hoping to get put into a LWB boot? I jst want to be able to put foot down so i can get dwn the stairs at home as I've been stuck in my bedroom ever since cming home, as I cant managed the step out to my downstairs loo,plus it tales every once of strength to get back up the stairs so easier to stay on my bed.sad What im looking forward to most of all is being able to drive and take a visit to the sea just to hear the waves which is my fav sound of all.....bt think its going to be a long long slog....wish you luck when you get your 'freedom'  sandra

• Posted

Dear Sandra

I had a hip revision fourteen days ago and due to having been thrown off my seat in the passenger ambulance have been confined to being on my bed since the surgery. Just getting to the loo and back on my crutches is hard work so I can sympathise with you.

Ah yes I understand your wish to drive to the sea and to hear the waves and to see the spray. Where I live the sea is just over a mile away and I enjoy watching the boats using a powerful pair of binoculars.

Still the sun is shinning here and we will both escape before too lo g!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

omg....as if what you were going though want enough. But to get thrown from your seat to dd to it....I too find it hard getting to the loo which is only about 12ft away from my bedroom, but takes every once i have.sun here too, so yes that adds to the 'fee good' factor.

• Posted

Dear Sandra

I'm having to drink lots of water to raise my blood pressure so the need for the loo is increased but have resorted to a bottle by the bed!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

thats one thing you  men have it easy being able to use a bot!! lol   But still not nice. Im drinking more water than Ive ever drank, because for some reason since all this happened my skin has become very very dry, but dont know why? May be something to do with the meds? So drinking more hopefully to hydrate my skin.  we take things for granted dont we, when we can do things on a day to day basis, but when its taken away......God its soooooo hard....sandra
    • Posted

Gee Sandra, you're making me feel better by making me realize my situation isn't as bad as yours. I live in a single story condo but it's on the 2nd story. I use a knee roller to get around which was a great find on Amazon. One time I shimmied down my steps on my rear so my girlfriend could take me to the DMV to get my handicap sticker. If you can do that, maybe you can sleep on the sofa. At least you have a partner who can cook for you and buy food. I had to hire a maid and a dog walker. It really sucks. Let me know how it goes with your walking boot.

• Posted

Does your health insurance cover transport services to your doctor? My does, and even tho it's scary having them lug me down the steps, I just remind them that if they drop me I will have a beautiful new home to live in. It's a great option because they stay with you during the appointment and then I take a right at home.

• Posted

My husband has been my transport. Hospital 75kms and surgeon. But now see GP. God I'd be scared stiff coming down stairs. Our home is reasonably wheelchair friendly. We've only ever had disability friendly homes.i worked age and disability when I was young and watched the frustration of clients stuck upstairs on houses on hills. we also have family and friends who are chair bound. 

• Posted

My son has been my maid. Lol thank God he knows how to look after his mum

?. Don't know what I would of done if he had a job, but hasn't been lucky enough to find one as yet 😔. Keep fingers Xsd for cast coming off next week. For me.... Sandra

• Posted

Don't have health insurance. We have NHS so all free.... For now any way.. We can book for the ambulance service to pick up but they could end up picking you up at 9am and your appointment may not be till pm. And same when coming home you could end up waiting around for hours, as they wait until there are a few patients to drop home. So really could end up being out all day for a appointment that only lasts an hour. They don't wait with you as they drop off and go onto the nxt pick up. To be honest, it's so frustrating and the discomfort I get with foot and leg swelling if it's not elevated, if I had to hang around waiting, I would scream. I'm just so glad to get back up onto my bed. Sandra

• Posted

I hate my bed hate trying to sleep. Foot and leg get  so cold but can't even have a sheet on it. Have heater on half the night. I'd hate for a one hour app to last all day. I sleep in spurts and get so very tired. But it is what it is. Have to just pot up with it. Also the nightly toilet runs are not great. We're all in the same boat I'm just grateful for the daily improvements. 

• Posted

Same with the nightly trips to the loo. I save up till I'm bursting!! Last night/early morning. Bad one for me. Had a massive. Leg twitch where it seemed my foot moved inside cast and could feel the metal work bad. Yuk Yuk horrible feeling. Which then puts my mind into overload thinking the worst. Just hope it's all OK when they take cast off 1week today and nothing has pocked thro or slipped. As far as your cold feet n legs, I got the opposite, mine are boiling and don't like them covered under bedclothes at the best of times. Plus the puffing up of quilt I'm using for elevation so it's all nice n high n soft..... Oh moan over!!! 😢 😢 😢. Sandra

• Posted

I was the same in cast but now when I'm cold I feel the plate and screws. And nerve endings hurt more. Moan over. 

• Posted

hi jenni, has your consultant said anything about you being able to feel the hardwear, if this somtimes is the case  or showed any concerns about it? I to find the pain from nerve endings are not very pleasent, couldnt undestand first time i felt them as I knew I hadnt had any surgery  where I was feeling pain, but hospital nurse then explained to me what happens after surgery.dont think we are ever going to be the same again?  and does us good to have a good old moan now n again  lol  sandra
    • Posted

Hell yes to have someone understand why we moan is so important. I think most of us thought we were going insane. I sure did. GP did say a lot can feel hardware and if it's problematic after 18 months it can be removed. Not sure if I ever want to be cut again ever. 

• Posted

Yes bad days definitely over take good days. Some days I just cry n cry. A hate it when I'm told by me husband... You'll soon be back to normal!!! This never going to happen. I have read on forums that hard wear can get removed if they are troublesome. But can't ever see me going through operation again. But we can never say never if discomfort is really bad. But early days. And yes nit a to bad a day at the moment. So I can see that, cone and ask me again on a bad moment!!! 😢 😢 😢. Lol. Sandra

• Posted

I never realized how good my Kaiser Health plan was until I broke my ankle. I've only had to wait a couple hours one time, all the rest they stayed with me. The good part is freedom is around the corner.

• Posted

Let's hope we don't have to wait too long before we turn that corner. Sandra

• Posted

Actually the only thing that'll be removed are the screws not the plates. That's done ( if you choose) while you're awake with local anesthesia. Either way, just be grateful your ankle wasn't turned to powder from a car accident like one of these patients shared. Every time I start to feel sorry for myself I just put myself in a place of how good I still have it. I'm not a saint, but I'm praying thru therapy I'll be strong once again.

• Posted

Oh no Mary that poor lady. How will she be able to manage down the line, had she said? As there can't be anything that they can screw or fix back together? So it's just screws they tack out? Don't think it's the screws I feel when mine plays up think it's the plate I feel. But would t be able to tell until the cast comes off. Sometimes have the vision of the scar being g open when it comes off. 😢. But when it was changed 4 weeks ago they were happy with the healing. But then got the stitches taken out, which was hurendus!!! Had to have gas n air!!! Horrible. But they told me it was because they had been in a little longer than they should of. (few days) and the skin had grown over the top of the scar so stitches had to get dug out..... Horrid. My son n daughter said I was screaming the clinic down!!! But it was very very painful. God this is going to be my story of a lifetime for ages. Lol. 😂. We will get there..... Sandra

• Posted

Staples would have been so much better than stitches. They don't goop up with blood, and when they took my staples out it hardly hurt at all. That was so irresponsible of them to do that!

• Posted

I had staples. Rubbed on cast had me in tears for a week. But now that there out and seeing some of the messes stitches are I'm glad. Although 2 staples popped and there is where the healing is the slowest. But I'm doing pretty good today (after yesterday I won't get cocky. ). The Facebook site of ankle fractures & recovery is also very informative some pics are a bit yuck but makes me very grateful. Could be a whole lot worse. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.