Soon to start Naltrexone

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been prescribed Naltrexone and due to start next week. I've been struggling with drink for years and just don't seem to have any willpower so here I am. I've been looking for information on it but so far it's all a bit scientific and what I really want is to hear about real people's real experiences. Obviously it'll be great if it helps but a bit scared of side effects too!

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I didn't experience any side effects really. A slight buzz on the first day but that might have just been the excitement of taking it.

The weirdest bit is when you suddenly don't fancy another drink.

• Posted

Great Daisy, this is probably the greatest decesion you could take. It takes courage to let go of the crutch we depended on. I am not sure how down the pit you are currently in, I was almost at the bottom, doctors had given up. If I could recover, anyone one can. Your body will react in wierd ways and it takes a lil while until bodily sanity is restored. Don’t worry about the side effects, please ensure that you stick to the dosage recommended by the doctor, don’t try to improvise or compensate. Remember dependency is both physical and mostly mental, both need to be addressed for a complete recovery. Fist go get your body in order, keep in touch, we can then work to get your brain circuits right.

All the best girl, try and eat right and pop in some multivitamins until you start the treatment,

You’ll be in my prayers.

GOD bless

• Posted

Also Naltrexone should not be taken before detoxification, are you still drinking or have you detoxed already?

• Posted

Sorry, but this information is absolutely wrong.

Naltrexone is safe to be taken either after detox OR whilst still drinking.

• Posted

Hi DaisyJo,

Let me give you a little background:

Naltrexone was approved in the mid-1990s to help manage cravings and prevent a relapse back to drinking in those who had recently managed to become abstinent. It doesn't work too well when used in this way, but the company who had the patent on it needed it to be approved for the usual profit motives.

There have been over 120 clinical trials that show naltrexone is actually best taken one hour prior to alcohol (and not at all on any days that you don't get the urge to drink) as a way to target and gradually extinguish your cravings and urges to drink. The medical name for this is Pharmacological Extinction, but it is often more referred to by us non-medical types as The Sinclair Method after the scientist who discovered this more successful way of using it, or 'targetted extinction'.

If you are in Europe, please google C3 Foundation Europe and you can learn more about this, as well as reading my own recovery using this treatment (listed on the 'From The Trustees' page. If you are in the US, please google C Three Foundation for the same type of information.

There are a number of other people on this forum who have also have successfully used naltrexone in this way, and I am sure they will reply to you soon as well.

In terms of side effects, they are usually very minor if you begin with half a tablet for the first couple of times, along with a good meal and plenty of water. At worst, it is usually just a feeling of being 'out of sorts' a bit. I liken it to that feeling you get when you are coming down with a cold - you don't feel bad, you just don't feel 100% yourself.

• Posted

NALTREXONE is safe only under certain circumstances, i was under opiates as well thats why maybe the doctor advised what he did. Any was we are not doctors nor is google, you can find good as well as dangerous information on google, Just go with your doctor. We are all just sign posts, Your doctor is the driver

• Posted

There may be a little discomfort initialy but it is nothing compared to the discomfort that we went through when we were addicts. Dont give up, life is marvelous on the other side, even better that normal people because someone who has be clutched back from the jaws of a miserable life and death will have more appreciation toward life. I want to fill you with hope and dont let any negative thoughts trouble you. At least for sometime loose your drinking friends, when they see you trying to raise up, since they dont have the courage to take the step that you are taking they will try to bring yo down to their level by demotivating you. All the best girl, GOD BLESS

• Posted

Also NEVER take drug advice from anybody nor google. Every case is unique, just coz something worked for someone it is not a cure for all. Depend only on your doctor. Many factors come into play, amount of consumptiom, duration, multiple addictions, the extent of organ damage, age, preexisting conditions the list is endless. Be totally honest with your doctor and i am sure he will know what to prescribe, just follow it promptly.

• Posted

Thank you all for your encouraging replies. My drinking pattern is 3 or 4 weekly binges. When I say binges I mean 8+ pints of lager and sometimes up to 10 shots on top though usually just lager. Once I start drinking I really cannot stop no matter what. The obvious thing is not to start in the first place but I struggle with this too 😦 The most I manage is a 4 day run ie 4 days no drink. My life consists of craving, drinking and recovering. I have both liver and kidney damage but I believe these are both reversible.

I won't do a detox as I'm not physically dependent. I don't get withdrawals when I don't drink although I get nasty hangovers and feel ill at least 50% of the time. My prescriber knows my drinking pattern. I guess Naltrexone will help with them. I will take it daily. My prescriber said people have told him it works well taking it just on drinking days but he is not authorised to prescribe it that way or to recommend it.

Thanks again for your good wishes and encouragement.

• Posted

Lots of people got their prescriptions with the "one per day" instructions printed on the label, but took it per TSM protocol instead.

Well, in case taking it every day doesn't do the trick for you, it would be easy to switch to the other method. Heads you win, tails you win.

Best luck in any case!

• Posted

Honestly Naltrexone has been a life saver for me. I was totally physically dependent and at my worst taking 20+ shots of vodka a day and binging multiple times a week. My only side affects was mild nausea for a couple of days right after taking the pill and only lasting a few hours and like Joanna said a slight out of it feeling. That all quickly passed and went away and now have no side effects. Definitely follow the directions of your doctor and listen to the tips on this forum of those like us with experience. I would suggest to always drink that big glass of water with it and before you get used to it to take it on a full stomach. Hopefully like a lot of us on here you will be blown away at the results. I now only have a few drinks on the weekend maybe. Also don't forget that we all stumble and miss step. This is a gradual process and you are rewiring your brain that has been messed up for a long time. Don't give up and keep giving it a chance to work. Some progress is better than no progress and you wouldn't be here if things had already been getting better. Keep us informed and keep posting. We would love to hear your progress and keep supporting you. Good luck.

• Posted

Good to hear from you again, I7! You're one impressive success story, m8!

• Posted

Thank you so much. You are a huge part of that. Your help with finding me a doctor who supports TSM and Naltrexone when I moved to Washington is why I am still here. I don't think I can thank you and the people on this forum enough.

• Posted

Believe you me Daisy, most of us have been in that phase, bing for a few days and give it a break and binge again, if you cannot stop once you start drinking thats a red light right there. You wisened up early before it got worse, and it will get worse, i thought i was in control but got to a stage where i needed a shot to even brush me teeth. Try with all your might and support of your doctor and others and get rid of this evil. I dont even wish this misery to my enemy

• Posted

Thank you all. I'm very lonely. Most people don't know I have a problem and those who do aren't sympathetic. They can't understand why I can't just stop. I feel horrible and ashamed and depressed. Well I will take it as prescribed and see how that goes. My ultimate goal is to stop drinking completely and forever. I will try anything!

• Posted

It breaks my heart to hear that somebody is lonely

(We alkies have big, easily breakable hearts)

At least you have the internet. I know, I know, it's not the same as human friendships but at least it allows people to talk to each other.

I wonder if naltrexone only started to become an answer to our problem when the internet allowed people to share information with the world.

• Posted

I understand how you feel, guilt, shame, self loathing , feeling of being a weak and lesser human being, the fear of being judged all this makes us isolate us from the society. Dont get me wrong, more people know about our problem than we perceive, they just talk behind us. There is actually a simple cure for this, it worked wonderfully for me, maybe it will work for you too. Volunteer for some community service, spend some time in orphanages, old age home, people with terminal illiness and the like, their love and courage is amazing and it WILL rub on to you and fill up the void and give you great determination. And nobody will judge you there, you will be filled with joy, Give it a try

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.