Sore throat always in the same spot? LPR??

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello Everyone!

Just another worried person with weird symptoms here. smile

About 6 months ago I started getting random pressure in my throat, like the feeling that someone has their hands around my throat. This would only last for a short period of time (hour). After a couple weeks I started noticing other symptoms which only happen on the RIGHT side of my head/neck. It basically feels like one spot in my throat which has this burning feeling that extends into my right ear (ear burn is really bad sometimes) and extends into my tongue. In addition I have neck tightness/pain on my right side, and some jaw pain on my right side. Also should note I have a small lymph node under my chin and have had it (no noticed growth) for a couple months. 

When the throat pressure and pain started, I went to a walk-in clinic where my throat and ears were checked, nothing was noticed but a "bit" of redness in my throat. I was given a 5 day run of Z-pack which was probably just to get me out of there.

The z-pack really did nothing.

I then scheduled an appt with my family doctor, who was very busy and gave me a resident to look me over. I gave all symptoms and she seemed none to concerned after checking my throat and ears. I insisted on having the lymph node checked so was sent for an ultrasound which turned out to be a "normal reactive lymph node". Went back to the doctor to further investigate the throat/ear/tongue/jaw pain, she was very dismissive so I insisted on an ENT referral. She also gave me lorazepam to help me sleep.

Because of all the mouth discomfort (tongue) I also went to my dentist for an oral cancer screening, and while I do have a lot of trauma in my mouth (tongue and cheek) from biting, he noticed nothing.

Now the wait for an ENT in Ontario is almost 6 months, so this isn't someone avoiding a doctor asking for opinions, but rather someone who has a long stressful wait.

So my biggest question is, has anyone had LPR that presents with pain on only one side (never moves from side to side, always on the right), and the pain in throat seems to be always the exact same spot. Any ideas? smile 

Pretty worried about throat cancer.

PS; No fever.

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry other symptoms I failed to note:

-Constant clearing throat

-Post-nasal drip

• Posted

Does the lump feel like a trapped air bubble or how it feels when you hold back from crying? Do you also get pressure in your ears. I also have the same thing, the lump started out as occasional but it’s gotten worse and is almost daily and worse at night. 
    • Posted

TONS of pressure in my ears, I am constantly swallowing to clear them. 

And yes, kind of like a trapped air bubble, depending on when it is. I find the throat pressure is more scary than painful. The burning feeling in my throat/ear is really what's debilitating. 

I just haven't read many people with LPR who have pain in the same spot in their throat every time, hoping someone else can give me hope! smile

• Posted

Actually my ear pressure is so bad, I have a job where I need to fly a lot and just cant manage taking planes anymore. Feels like someone is taking a screwdriver to my temples.
    • Posted

I know exactly how you feel it is very scary and had caused me a great deal of stress and anxiety. Now I Also have a gurgle in my throat when I swallow saliva, do you get this as well? Has this effected your ability to eat ? Mine started out as pressure beneath my breastbone and a lot of burping and then moved to my throat. Not sure if you had the pressure there as well. I do also get heartburn and I am currently taking nexium but it doesn’t help with those symptoms. I do have to go for a barium swallow next week so maybe that will show something. I also get a bad taste in my mouth and feel like something is always in the back of my mouth. I do currently have a tonsil stone that I can’t get out so I’m not sure if it’s from that or the acid. I understand about wanting to have hope as I spend a lot of time trying to find people who have the same issue and have gotten better! It’s scary not to know when this or of this will go away and having to live in this discomfort. Is yours still only lasting for an hour or do you get it more frequently now ? Mine is worse at night.  Please keep me updated and I will do the same. I’ll pray you get better soon.
    • Posted

Thank god it hasn't affected my eating ability yet, although I have heavily modified my diet in case it is LPR or GERD. Also taking Aloe Vera pills twice a day, not sure these have helped with the symptoms or not, but it just generally makes me feel great, so I continue with it. 

As for timing, no, no longer just lasts for an hour. I find when I wake up, for the first 20 mins I am fine, and then the symptoms hit. I've tried sleeping on my left instead of my right which I've read helps, but even though I fall asleep on my left, I wake up on my right!!! lol

The gurgling I haven't had yet, but I do have excessive amounts of post-nasal drip that I am clearing all the time. I'd imagine if I wasn't clearing it constantly it would be gurgling. 

Prayers are with you also, unlike the million people I've read that swear they'll post back their results, I actually will. It'll just be a while with this medical system. One thing is for sure, if it's cancer, it'll have spread too far to be curable by the time I actually see someone who can help. Sure I don't pay for medical (other than taxes) in Canada, but what good is it when you cant see anyone?

• Posted

Thanks and I will do the same! I highly doubt it's cancer but even if it's just silent reflux it still impacts your quality of life. I am in a really bad place mentally right now because of this and I've lost a ton of weight and can barely eat. I'm probably going to go on antidepressants to cope bu t i wouldn't need them if it wasn't fo r this issue. I just wonder if you can actually cure silent reflux and wonder why the medication doesn't help with it. I have been eating very bland for four months and it's only gotten worse it's so frustratin g and getting hard to function. I promise if I get better i will help everyone else that is suffering and scared. I look at everyone who doesn't have this and can eat normally and envy them. It's crazy the things you take for granted when all is well. Since you're is still mild just try to treat it now before it gets worse. I wish I had last year when I started getting excessive phlegm and clearing my throat but I kept eating bad food and drinking alcohol. I wonder if i would be in th is situation and now I'm scared it's too late and I can't imagine living like this forever

• Posted

I too have silent reflux and have tried changing my diet but nothing seems to stop it. Currently I feel better in the morning but worse as day goes by and by bedtime the lump feeling in my throat is so severe and painful that it is difficult to swallow and to sleep.  The lump feeling is new for me. I haven’t had this before but I think I have just had such a bad bout of reflux recently that my throat and esophagus are very inflamed. Just want some relief!
  • Posted

It definately sounds like silent reflux. I have been diagnosed with lpr, i have had it for the past 7 months, i have had the full works done, blood test, barium swallow and gastroscopy , also initially went to Ent as was also concerned may be something like cancer. The scope done by ent was normal, but they saw alot of congestion and confirmed was reflux causing my symptoms why why i was refeered to gastroentrologist. Currently on medication, doesnt really help much but along as my diet is very bland and non spicy n fried the symptoms are v mild.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Naz! What have your throat symptoms been like?
  • Posted

Hey There! 

When I went to my Gastro last week, he told me that acid reflux/ GERD tend to really mess with sinus and asthma symptoms (both that i was recently being treated for prior to going to him). Have you tried changing your diet to avoid spices, tomatoes, onions, garlic, carbonated beverages- yes, even the diet and zero calorie ones, fried & fatty foods, chocolate and alcohol? 

I've been dealing with constant clearing of throat, post nasal drip feeling, tightness in my chest and the feeling of not being able to breathe. My new best friend in healing my symptoms has been watermelon- plus the new medication i was prescribed. It hasn't taken them away 100%, but definitely helps. 

• Posted

Thanks Ellie! :-) 

I've been working heavily on my diet in case it does turn out to be LPR/GERD. I've cut out all spice, chocolate, carbonated drinks, I don't drink alcohol at all. But basically I've stopped eating anything that tastes good LOL.

I've also started taken Aloe Vera pills twice daily, I started with the juice but my god that flavour.... Pills are so much better. I will certainly give watermelon a shot!

Have you had any of the throat symptoms similar to me?

• Posted

I have not had those throat issues- to be honest that would freak me out! Only thing I have often is that I can't swallow.. which tends to bring on a sense of panic/anxiety

• Posted

Its mad what diffrent symptoms it can cause does anyone have episodes of breathlessness or is that just me makes me panic and so horrible i just go to sleep to get over it
    • Posted

Breathlessness has been my new symptom. definitely scares me! My primary doctor gave me something for anxiety earlier this year, so when I feel this way I end up taking my anxiety prescription. 
    • Posted

its kinda sad what a vicious circle it becomes because anxiaty can cause reflux to be worse. and then ur reflux makes u worry about it more and brings on anxiaty sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.