Sore throat always in the same spot? LPR??

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello Everyone!

Just another worried person with weird symptoms here. smile

About 6 months ago I started getting random pressure in my throat, like the feeling that someone has their hands around my throat. This would only last for a short period of time (hour). After a couple weeks I started noticing other symptoms which only happen on the RIGHT side of my head/neck. It basically feels like one spot in my throat which has this burning feeling that extends into my right ear (ear burn is really bad sometimes) and extends into my tongue. In addition I have neck tightness/pain on my right side, and some jaw pain on my right side. Also should note I have a small lymph node under my chin and have had it (no noticed growth) for a couple months. 

When the throat pressure and pain started, I went to a walk-in clinic where my throat and ears were checked, nothing was noticed but a "bit" of redness in my throat. I was given a 5 day run of Z-pack which was probably just to get me out of there.

The z-pack really did nothing.

I then scheduled an appt with my family doctor, who was very busy and gave me a resident to look me over. I gave all symptoms and she seemed none to concerned after checking my throat and ears. I insisted on having the lymph node checked so was sent for an ultrasound which turned out to be a "normal reactive lymph node". Went back to the doctor to further investigate the throat/ear/tongue/jaw pain, she was very dismissive so I insisted on an ENT referral. She also gave me lorazepam to help me sleep.

Because of all the mouth discomfort (tongue) I also went to my dentist for an oral cancer screening, and while I do have a lot of trauma in my mouth (tongue and cheek) from biting, he noticed nothing.

Now the wait for an ENT in Ontario is almost 6 months, so this isn't someone avoiding a doctor asking for opinions, but rather someone who has a long stressful wait.

So my biggest question is, has anyone had LPR that presents with pain on only one side (never moves from side to side, always on the right), and the pain in throat seems to be always the exact same spot. Any ideas? smile 

Pretty worried about throat cancer.

PS; No fever.

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi RoyaleWchz,

Really interested, but please tell me what LPR is.

So many people use  3 letter acronyms and I’m often unsure of what they mean. Sorry if it’s obvious to everyone else.

Thank you 

Jane 

• Posted

Hi Jane, LPR being silent reflux or laryngopharyngeal reflux
  • Posted

Well my daughter has a booster shot I need to take her into our Gp for today and I called to have me fit in at the same time for another appointment. I am going to force the subject of scheduling a head/neck CT. We'll see how successful I am. smile

• Posted

Well I spoke to my GP yesterday and was very blunt that I was worried about throat cancer and If I'm waiting 6 months for an ENT, it would have progressed too far to do anything about. I asked to be sent for either a barium swallow or a head/neck CT and she refused. She said there was nothing she could do and I just have to wait for the ENT.

This is maddening.

• Posted

Well, I know I haven't received many responses to this thread, but I am going to continue updating it anyway in case it helps someone in the future. I was angry after my last appt with my GP where I said my concerns and she was very dismissive. I instead went to a walk-in clinic yesterday to see if I could get a faster referral and to get a second opinion. 

This doctor was fantastic, thoroughly listened to all my symptoms and had an actual conversation with me about it, instead of talking down to me or dismissing the potential ideas I had. He was rather annoyed my GP had literally done nothing. He thought for sure it could be LPR or reflux of some kind and prescribed me protonix and also prescribed me a nasal spray (corticosteroid) to deal with the post-nasal drip. He also referred me to an ENT separately and made the call to that doctor while I was in the office to see when I could be scheduled. I now am on PPI's and have an appt with ENT on July 2nd. If I see any improvement with the PPIs I will post back again before my appointment, if no improvement, I will post after my appointment on the 2nd. This is going to be a long 2 week wait, but way better than 6 months!! :-D

Hopefully this thread can help someone after I am diagnosed.

• Posted

Well - no improvement, and symptoms got worse. I'm currently waiting for a contrast CT in the emergency room. Fun fun. Guess I'll know if I'm dying soon.

• Posted

PPIs don't work instantly. They aren't like antacids or Gaviscon. They have to go through your blood and it will take at least a week before you will notice any difference. Also, if you do have LPR, you might not have acid reflux, but instead have non-acid reflux, in which case the PPIs won't do anything for you as they only work on suppressing acid. It could be that it is Pepsin that is causing your problems. 

I thought it was bad that I was having to wait two months to see an ENT here in Metro Vancouver, but six months in Ontario. That's ridiculous! 

• Posted

Yay! So CT came back clear smile at least I know it's not the C-Word. Apparently I do have a popped disc on my neck they think is unrelated though. I guess I'll wait patiently for the ENT.

• Posted

Congratulations,

You must be so relieved regarding your CT scan result, like a huge weight has been lifted. 

It’s Father’s Day here in the UK today (17th June) so I hope you have a great day.

All the best for your ENT appt too. 

• Posted

Thank you Jane!! Yes, my goodness, such a massive weight off.

It's fathers day here in Canada also, and I'm happily enjoying the day with my little one.

Hope you have a great day :-)

• Posted

Hello All,

I've opted to keep this thread updated on my progress - sorry if I share too much! lol I just get frustrated reading other threads with no final updates. 

I finally had my ENT appointment, which I was so excited for. Finally going to get to the bottom of this - is what i thought. Since my last post, I've had two new lymph nodes pop up on my neck also, but the other symptoms have remained largely the same, although much more mild on the PPIs. The ENT I saw, not to be mean, was like 90, and seemed to have little interest in anything that isn't easily diagnosed. The asked my symptoms but would continually interrupt me before I could finish (and I wasn't being wordy like I am here). He scoped my throat and saw a little redness and said "But no cancer, so you're good". Then looked in my nose and saw I have a deviated septum and said it is all caused by that. Which makes zero sense to me, considering my symptoms. I pushed for the possibility of it being LPR, which he didn't seem to understand what it was. But he gave me fresh PPI prescriptions anyway? And told me I need a cool mist humidifier to solve everything. SO FRUSTRATING. Once he saw the deviated septum, that's all he cared about.

On another note, I've started seeing a chiropractor as of two appointments ago, just in case it's nerve related. My CT did show some cervical stenosis in my neck. This seems to be going well so far and will hope for the best. I think as far as medically, I will be back to my family doctor to ask for a referral to a different ENT. 

I'm exhausted with all the appointments.

Side note: Also had a clear chest xray done last week after I've been seeing blood in my spit here and there.

• Posted

More updates smile

Finding what I believe are new swollen lymph nodes all over the place over the past week or so. I went to my family doctor, who felt them and seemed unconcerned, but did schedule me for an ultrasound next week.

He also is scheduling me for both an endoscopy and a colonscopy - sigh... that's not going to be a fun day! lol

• Posted

Hello Again all,

Well to provide what will hopefully be my final update on this thread, I went for a gastroscopy and a colonoscopy last week. Both on the same day too - so fun. I was diagnosed with both LPR and diverticulosis, as well as the doctor took a biopsy from my stomach (god I hope that isn't anything). I was told to stay on my PPI's and to modify my diet - which I already have. Due to all the acid reflux coming into my mouth, it has caused massive amounts of swelling which is now causing me to bite my cheek and tongue while sleeping, so am being fitted for a custom night guard with my dentist next week. My symptoms are all still the same, nothing has changed but to confirm the following symptoms can ABSOLUTELY be LPR:

1. Sore throat, one side only, never changes to the other side

2. Sore/Burning Tongue 

3. Ear burning and ear pressure

4. Swollen lymph nodes on neck and under chin

5. Jaw Pain

6. Neck Pain

7. I cant even remember them all sometimes smile but these were the main ones.

If something pops up on my stomach biopsy I may post back (I also think I have H. Pylori), but otherwise this one will be my last post. Thanks for dealing with my constant long-winded posts. I wish everyone the best.

• Posted

I doubt you're still on here, but i wanted to thank everyone in this thread for sharing your situation. i know i have GERD, but i didn't ever think it would get this bad. reading everyone's symptoms has put me at ease. My mind is "cancer! cancer! cancer!" and the intrusive thoughts just won't stop. These responses have made me feel a little bit better about what is going on. I

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.