Sore when wake up

Posted , 12 users are following.

I don't know if I am not elevating correctly or what but my ankle and leg are painfully sore when I wake up. I am 5 weeks post op in an aircast boot. Anyone else? Also describe how you elevate at night .. how many pillows ...

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Christina,

I elevated with three pillows high, running the length of my calves, ankle and foot and another pillow underneath my knee joint. You need to get that ankle and foot as high as your nose. Good luck. I am a year post operation with all going well.

Yvonne

• Posted

Hi Christina,

I'm 6 weeks post op.  I bought a foam leg elevator that puts my foot about 2 feet high and really helps with soreness and swelling.  It's firm but pliant and cradles my leg and boot.  Tried pillows but they are too soft and low and don't stay in one place and I could never get comfortable.  Hope this helps. 

• Posted

Hey! I elevate with two pillows, one under my foot and a flatter one that I wedge under that one but also cushions my leg. I was told I didn't have to sleep in the boot. When I wake up my leg is fine but my foot hurts some and feels heavier and stiff. Takes me some time to get the boot back on. Still having some pulling at the surgical area inside of the ankle. It is healing but rubs against the boot and the skin pulls where it is healing. The outside of my ankle is healing faster and doesn't pull. I guess because there is more bone there. So ready to be done with all of this.

• Posted

Dear Christina

Have you tried a elasticated stocking? I found it very helpful in reducing swelling and pain.

Good luck Richard

• Posted

I am in total agreement about the compression stocking. Really helps. Makes level or soreness and swelling less. I recommend one without toes. I initially wore the one with toes and ended up with a toenail infection from all the compression and had to have my toenail removed which u don't want on top of everything else. I am 7 months out and wear in everyday- if I don't it's to painful.

• Posted

Finally someone at 7 months with me. Now I don't feel alone anymore.

• Posted

Nicke

How are you doing at this 7 month point?

I had my injury and surgery in mid January. Completely shattered left ankle-and joint

I was hiking and had to be rescued by firefighters and helicoptered to trauma center.

I had a crazy amount of intense pain the first 4-5 months

Went to pain doctor

Iced all night

Could not sleep.

Am still in discomfort but much more manageable and can function -

Working very hard in PT

walking reasonably well much of the time except if overused or stiff and am not steady on uneven surfaces..

I wear toeless compression stocking every minute of every day except when I shower or else I swell and can not manage pain - and am not able to walk.

Surgeon told me it will take 18 months to know how much recovery I can expect because of severity of injury..

I see progress in having less pain..more mobility.. for almost 5 months I needed to have my leg constantly elevated and iced day and night. I could not sit with foot down at a meal - the pain was to great. Forget about not being able to shower myself or walk the dog.

Who knew that taking a walk with a friend would be so life changing...

And you- getting hit- minding ur own business....

• Posted

7 mths in and still not right. omg im only at 15 weeks and the pain im having is hurenduse since trying to walk unaided around the house. Got told to try and ditch the crutches by physio, got rid of one two weeks ago, so been trying to get rid of the other this week. OMG am I paying for it. Had to stop physio today because pain go too bad. She has told me that ive over done it doing to much this week. She has now given me a compression sock saying it would help....hasnt yet after 6hrs!!  she told me Im trying to run before i can walk. This has been the hardest thing ever....so its ice ice ice this week ....sx
    • Posted

I'm so so sorry u have to deal with this...

No one can understand unless they have gone through it.

It is a long slow process..when the injury is severe and if we overdo it is frustrating and painful...

I know u said u have been wearing the compression sock for 6 hrs- but, I did not find that it solves my pain but lessens it- still sometimes iit is still rough if I have overdone it-if I don't wear it - I really am unable to walk or live life.

I find myself feeling sorry for myself at times - which I think is only natural especially on bad days. Lately when I go to the gym I see two people in wheelchairs sitting at a machine working there arms for an hour at a time and I am reminded how lucky I am- remembering when an aide had to shower me and ...when I driopped my phone in the toilet and had a meltdown. Also how lucky r we to have this group- o know we are not the only one going through this- and some people have an easier time- I felt jealous of those who did not have the extreme pain- and there are those who go through more prolonged recoveries..it's not easy some days. And then it is other days- but I guess that's life...

• Posted

So true. But we don't think about that when down, or I don't anyway. Bit selfish I know. I just want to be free of this pain. Sx

• Posted

hi christina. I have a stiff foot when i wake up, but always do a bit of stretching and ankle turning before i get out of bed, which helps. Im 15 weeks in now, and have always used my king size quilt folded over a few times as my support in bed also pillow under my knee.  No needto move ti when turning over in bed as it folds right across the bottom of the bed . Works great for me.   good luck  sx
  • Posted

I'm going to get a wedge pillow ' thanks!

• Posted

Hello Christina

I generally use 2-3 pillows under my foot and wedge another pillow under my knee. The wedge definitely helps for support under knee. I am 4 weeks post op tomorrow for bimalleor (sp) ankle fracture and in a hard cast.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.