Sore when wake up

Posted , 12 users are following.

I don't know if I am not elevating correctly or what but my ankle and leg are painfully sore when I wake up. I am 5 weeks post op in an aircast boot. Anyone else? Also describe how you elevate at night .. how many pillows ...

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Christina

I just had Ankle Surgery today. I just starting recovery. This is such a great support group. I like to read what is happening down the road. I am sure it will help me as a move along

• Posted

Hi christina,

Are you allowed to take the boot off to sleep? I take mine off and have my leg elevated with two pillows and pulled between my knees so I can sleep on my side and have my foot elevated. I find it much more comfortable. I couldn't sleep on the boot and asked my surgeon if I could take it off to sleep. It's much better.

• Posted

Your foot has to be higher than your heart. When I was in that type of boot 3 pillows were not enough. You need something that doesn't sink in, like a pillow. I used a hard clothes container but used a pillow on top of it, so I could rest my foot. It is an unusual position but it reduced the swelling every night. I also takes time to adjust the your foot in that position because your body will be slightly off centered.

If it doesn't work, try something else, but your foot has to be higher than your body or your nose.

Good luck. Been there done that

• Posted

Oh my .  I do not see how comfortable that could be.  I know I've heard that it has to be higher than your nose .  I'm doing better now.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.