Spasms!

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi guys had right hip replaced Monday afternoon and came home this afternoon. I'm having bad Spasms in my operated leg really strong and painful not constant but every time I feel I might drop to sleep or I relax they appear and they are painful and I scream out! Any help or advice to control them would be most appreciated.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have to say, I am shocked that you are 48 hours out of surgery and having to make do with over the counter meds. Is that normal for where you live? I'd have flat out died if I hadn't had my prescription meds for the first week or so.

• Posted

I was surprised that I wasn't given any meds to take away just advised to take over the counter which really aren't strong enough and I was having strong spasms and taking strong meds while I was there hopefully I will get over it quickly if not I will have to call the gp out.

• Posted

I am surprised, too. Anyone who has posted here has mentioned about pain meds, even if they took them for a short time.  You don't have to overdo it. The dosage for me was one every 6 hours which I took for couple of days and then stretched it to 7 hours except if it was night time and wanted to make sure I would be ok to sleep then. (Did wake up every 2 hours but not in pain.)

Might be good idea to contact the doctor or whoever you can to find out about this.

• Posted

Hi, I left hospital with paracetamol and after the first night at home I was in agony! Rang my GP and he couldn't believe I hadn't been given anything stronger to go home with. He prescribed liquid morphine and thank god he did. Really helped with sleeping!

Spasms will ease, I promise.

Helen

• Posted

Some people need more painkillers than others, I did use them after my original hip replacement, but after my recent (2 weeks ago) revision, I was off all strong painkillers (morphine) within a couple of days, and haven't used any painkillers at all since coming home on day 5.

I was given some to go home with though, just in case I needed them. If you need them, ask (demand) them, pain is NOT part of the healing process.

• Posted

Thanks for your advice I wasn't sure if I was being a wuss and thought that it must be the norm!

• Posted

I was prescribed 2 Tramadol plus 2 Panadol to be taken 6 hourly when I left hospital. These were heavy duty painkillers and made me sleep too. I took them for 5 days then switched to CoCodamol 30/500 x 2 for the following week. Then reduced that to Co Codamol 9/500 x2 for another week then Panadol as required. Ring your doctor and get a prescription if you haven’t been given one. The spasms happened at night and I felt like my foot had kicked the end of the bed really hard. I even rang the hospital at 1 am on my first night home to speak to the doctor on call about the spasm. She reassured me and told me to take my medicines on time. I had my op last October and feel fantastic now. I’m in Paris on my own at the moment and according to my phone I’ve walked 20 km in the last 2 days. I would never have managed a trip like this, negotiating all the steps in the metro, walking over cobbled streets etc, before my op. It’s a fantastic operation. Good luck in your recovery

Ann

• Posted

Thanks Ann wow enjoy Paris I so want to get my life back and it will be so very good to be pain free
  • Posted

Just a tip, with naproxen (or any other tablets) make sure to wash it down with plenty of fluid. I got terrible heartburn a couple of times because I didn't drink enough when I took the tablets. Thought I was having a heart attack !! 😱

• Posted

You are supposed to have lansoprazole or omnazaprole with Naproxen to protect your stomach. It really burns. I hated it. I had to have it pre op so I could exercise and I’m so glad to be off it. Effective for pain control but nasty to take. 

Ann

• Posted

I had groin spasms which started about two months after op.  Physio didn’t work but physio suggested Baclofen, a muscle relaxant, and it worked a treat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.