Spending entire days in a daze

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi there

I'm 43, recently underwent a stent. Prior to the procedure I was on 2.5mg, then 5mg, then 7.5 then 10 of Bisoprolol to help with the pain whilst waiting. The lower doses really did nothing for me - I'm a tall, average built guy, fariyl fit and the doc warned me the doses would end up higher.

But now I've had the stent, I'm still on the 10mg for life, along with a handful of other drugs.

Thing is, some days - today - I am in an absolute daze. I don't eat, I walk like a zombie, I can barely communicate with my partner and I feel incredibly down, inside. On the one hand I know what is causing it and I know how it's affecting everything but then I can't control or fix it.

I've talked to the doctor about lowering the dose, but he has concerns and wants me to stay on 10 for longer.

I find it incredibly hard to raise my heart rate. I was in physio after the procedure and had a target HR of 115, I couldn't get over 91 on the exercises they had me doing, despite them continually telling me to work harder - the reps weren't long enough. The original 115 took me a constantly increasing walk to run test, over 20 mins.

Sorry if I am rambling. I am just looking for others as I'm sure this is common. Is this usual? At some point I have to return to work, but like this, I can't imagine it.

Thank you.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I should list the other drugs, sorry:

Clopidogrel 75mg

Atorvastatin 40mg

Aspiri 75mg

• Posted

Hi TK13047, you have my sympathy!  I am also on a cocktail of drugs, including Bisoprolol 10mg.    I used to take Atorvastatin and had to stop because of muscle pain.  It is only since I stopped the Atorvastatin, that I realised how awful  I had been feeling while I was on it.  I was also inclined to fall over if, for example, I bent down to pick something up off the ground.  It had never occurred to me that it had been the Atorvastatin causing me to fall over and also feel generally unwell.  My Cholesterol levels did rise again but have reached a plateau and not moved from that plateau for several years.

Have you used an interactions checker?  I use one on Drugs dot com.

• Posted

Hi

No, not used an checker, will have a look. I don't seem to have any other obvious side effects that I've noticed - well, except for fairly vivid and stressful dreams and some hay fever like symptons. The runny nose is... amusing smile

• Posted

That's interesting,  I have vivid dreams when I am too hot.  I also have the runny nose, though that hasn't been so bad lately but, the only drug that I take, that you take, is the Bisoprolol and I have been on the same dose for several years now, unlike the other drugs I am taking, maybe I should reassess what I take.
  • Posted

Hi there welcome to the buddies lol, I know exactly how you are feeling it is very depressing especially when your so used to being on the go I don't know if you have read my blogs but I feel back to my old self again after stopping Bisropolol yesterday I have walked for ages today without feeling breathless and tired with heavy aching limbs hope it lasts. But I no it's hard but try and not let yourself get down I know easier said than done maybe later have a word with your Consultant about reducing your tablets if it's safe. 
    • Posted

No, I havent, I only found this place today and read a little before posting.

I have a three month check up with my cardiologist next week, so will chat to her and then, after, to my GP.

Cheers!

• Posted

Hi Glitzy, Spoke to you last week about Bisoprolol. Didn't know you stopped yesterday! Why did you stop and what have you got in it's place. As I said I am on 5mg morning and evening, it sort of keeps the (permanent) AF in check and stops the heart from 'knocking' like a rocking horse!!! I am waiting to hear about a cardioversion, it's been two weeks since I had a 24 hr ECG and echocardiagram so any day now. Cheers, glad you are feeling better. 
    • Posted

Are you on Warfarin? They will not do a Cardioversion unless yourINR is over 2.5 
    • Posted

Yes, I have been on warfarin since the AF started on 25th June, at first went to North Manchester Hospital warfarin clinic to have it checked each week, then once every two weeks, they put me once every three weeks so I go tomorrow. Could you tell me when and why you stopped taking bisoprolol and if you had a cardioversion. I am finding bis to be hard going, especially when I like walking, it also makes me a bit breathless. I want to explore alternatives and speak to people who have had successful cardioversions. Ta
    • Posted

Hi there lankylasss sorry just noticed your message saw new Consultant on Friday he was excellent listened to my concerns about side effects of Bisropolol said I didn't feel any different for having 2 cardio versions so he decided to stop my Bisropolol and Amiodarone.  He has put me on Dixogin which I've been on before and they seem to be ok so I just take my. Dabigatran and Dixogin now.  I just feel anxiety free no heavy legs or breathlessness so happy at moment I hope it lasts lol. I carnet hear my heart thumping like yours I think I just miss a beat this was all brought on by a virus and water infection. I would have a word about your medication as well. Good luck
    • Posted

Hi Glitzy, great name eh? Thanks for the info, I tried to ring the cardiologists secretary today to see when I am due to see him, I was diagnosed with AF in June after I had a racing heart and irregular pulse rate, it started at home and just didn't settle at all, two days in cardio care and I came out with the usual bisoprolol and warfarin. I had 5mg of bis in the morning but my heart was really 'knocking', very uncomfortable indeed, I ended up at my GP and he made me an app't with my cardiologist, he was surprised at seeing me so soon but gave me another 5mg of bis to take at night, the 'knocking' has improved a lot but the breathlessness and tiredess have increased. I am loth to ask him to change my meds again as I am due to see my cardio soon. They didn't do an echocardiagram while I was in hospital the first time so I had one two weeks ago along with a 24 hour ECG and now I am waiting to see my cardiologist, he did say that he wanted to do a cardioversion, I have read a bit about these, I am hesitant to read a lot as I am quite 'squeamish' and really don't like hospitals at all. Major 'white coat syndrome' if you know what I mean. Anyway, I know that you said your cardioversion did not work, how long did it last? If it goes back into irregular heart beat do you carry on taking the meds? I presume that you do carry on with the warfarin? Sorry to ask you so many questions but you seem to be in the same boat as me. I managed to hit 64 with no medical problems whatsoever, I had just been on a cycling holiday in Spain, (25k a day in 33 degrees heat) when I started with AF, no connection so the GP said. I don't have the fast heart rate anymore, (however I do get it if I get anxious) but I can always feel the 'pulses' in the heart and at times I do get more of a 'knocking' in my chest, horrible feeling. If you see Jess or Soobee on the AF postings they seem to be going through the same thing, I think that Jess has changed her meds and feels better. Thanks for the info, it is appreciated. Cheers. L. L. 
    • Posted

At the time of my cardioversion I was taking Losartan, Bisoprolol, Amidodarone and Warfarin. After the cardioversion done by a Matron and a Sister my discharge notes said:

"In Sinus Bradycardia with premature atrial ectopics" I asked why I needed Bisoprolol if I was back to my 'normal' low heart rate in the 40's.

The Matron checked with the cardiologist who said that I could stop the Bisoprolol but to continue withe Amiodarone.  

• Posted

Sounds like you are on the standard cocktail of drugs.  I find it strange to see that you've been given a target HR when an object of Bisoprolol is to slow down the heart rate.   Are the physio's expectations realistic?   I've been attending cardio rehab and no-one has ever given me a target to achieve.  After a heart incident, surely you need to do what's comfortable and slowly increase exercise?   Good that you are seeing your consultant next week.  I don't think that any drug is for life if it really doesn't suit you.  I think you need to tell your doc what you've told us and see what your options are.  Good luck.
    • Posted

I went for a physio intro thing - just me and the people, and they did some tests, inc. activity to arrive at 115. The classes, which then started later, are a form of circuit with 1 min at each station. However, and I say this with respect, the classes are designed - and full of - people far far older than me. In a small room, with 17 70+ patients, there simply isn't room for me to "go faster" and so on. I doubt if, in realty, I spent more than 20 seconds at a station.

While I fully understand the NHS cannot create programmes for every potential patient, the blanket approach doesn't work for all - in my case smile

When I say "for life". I've simply been told I'll be taking 3 of these drugs for life. The other stops after a year. I have no medical experience or history so what I'm told tends to be all I know smile

• Posted

Oh, just to say that yes, I find 115 entirely realistic for me. 115 was my HR after 20 mins of sustained, constant exercise.

What isn't realistic is how they think the product of 20 mins can be replicated in the actual cardio classes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.